Music / Hungry Lucy
Hungry Lucy is an Alternative Dance
duo from Ohio. Most of their music contains elements of both Dark Wave
and trip-hop, in the vein of bands like Switchblade Symphony,
but they've dubbed their own genre "gypsy electronica." It has nothing to do with gypsy punk
. They were originally a Creator Couple
consisting of a vocalist called Christa Belle and a producer/programmer named Warren who calls himself War-N. Unfortunately, they are no longer a couple, and technically also no longer a band. However, War-N has still been using Hungry Lucy's name and social media accounts to announce his new projects with different vocalists.
The band's name refers to the ghost story of Havoc House. A young woman Lucy Ryan died there in 1792; according to a psychic who claimed to have channeled her, the ghost of Lucy complained incessantly about being hungry.
- Apparitions (2000)
- Glō (2003)
- To Kill a King (2004)
- Before We Stand ... We Crawl (EP, 2006)
- The Teatime Sessions (Live, 2008)
- Pulse of the Earth (2010)
Hungry Lucy's official website, which uses the Bandcamp platform to sell their music as well as to publicize their lyrics, can be found here
To trope a king:
- Cover Version: Depeche Mode's "Blue Dress."
- Goth: The ethereal variety.
- If I Can't Have You: "Could It Be?"
It's clear to me
If I can't have you
No one can
And no one will
- I Just Want My Beloved to Be Happy: "Rainfall" plays with this.
Behind a wall there is a boy
I've tried to reach for many years
Each time it rains I see his face
I offer shelter, he walks away
May you have brighter tomorrows
The past you had was shrouded in deceit
May you be eternally beautiful
The way you are, the way you are
- The lyrics "Now when it rains / I canít see his face / I am weak / And I have failed" imply that maybe the narrator shouldn't have left the suicidal boy who she was in love with, or rather allowed him to leave her.
- Lyrical Dissonance: Most of Hungry Lucy's songs. Christa Belle's ethereal-sounding soprano voice only makes the effect creepier.
- Perky Goth: Several reviews have referred to Christa Belle as one of these.
- You Are Not Alone: "Stretch."
Why not be happy
With the things you have done
Why not be satisfied
You're not the only one
Stretch out and be brave
You have your life to live
Love surrounding you
You'll never be alone