Music: Hans Zimmer
Should you ever decide to make a high-octane glossy action Hollywood blockbuster and are looking for someone to compose a brassy and kickass soundtrack to complement the CGI wizardry on screen, Hans Florian Zimmer will be pretty high up on your list. Most famous for his music for The Rock, Crimson Tide, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Dark Knight Saga, The Lion King, Gladiator, Rain Man, Inception and (for the gamers out there), the theme for Modern Warfare 2, among some 200 movies he composed for. Of course, he did other genres, but its usually the big brass and violin numbers he wrote for action set pieces that get remembered.Known for working with directors Ridley Scott and Christopher Nolan. Also, for having trained a number of other composers, including Mark Mancina, Klaus Badelt, Steve Jablonsky and for composing a number of animated films from DreamWorks Animation. His closest equivalent is Yuki Kajiura, known for her eclectic blends of synth with real instruments and soloists.
Some of his more well-known projects include (chronological order):
- Rain Man (1988)
- Driving Miss Daisy (1989)
- Twister (1989, a comedy, not the Bill Paxton-Helen Hunt disaster movie)
- Backdraft (1991)
- Thelma & Louise (1991)
- The Lion King (1994)
- Crimson Tide (1995)
- The Rock (1996, with Nick Glennie-Smith)
- The Thin Red Line (1998, with John Powell)
- Mission: Impossible II (2000)
- Black Hawk Down (2001)
- The Ring and its sequel (2002 and 2005)
- The Pirates of the Caribbean filmsnote (2003-2011)
- King Arthur (2004)
- Laura's Star (2004)
- The Madagascar films (2005-2012)
- The Dark Knight Saga
- Sherlock Holmes (2009)
- Inception (2010)
- Rango (2011)
- Man of Steel (2013)
- Rush (2013)
- 12 Years a Slave (2013)
- The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (with the Magnificent Six, Pharrell Williams and Johnny Marr) (2014)
- Interstellar (2014)
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Has admitted to this, saying that he would spend moments at a time doing seemingly nothing and that it's an irresponsible life to live:Hans Zimmer: I wake up around noon, light a cigarette, get a cup of coffee, sit in the bathtub for an hour and daydream, and I usually come up with some ideas... It's a very irresponsible life. The only decisions I make are about the notes I'm writing.
- Neo Classical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly
- Self Plagiarism: All the time
- Compare this Modern Warfare 2 Soundtrack with Blackhawk Down. Still very epic.
- His Batman Begins theme appears first in Black Rain, and his theme for the finale of The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises is used in a flashback scene during The Thin Red Line.
- During the end of Dead Man's Chest the music sounds like it was 'borrowed' from King Arthur.
- Remnant of Kingdom of Heaven soundtrack note can be heard in Angels & Demons.
- The Inception and 12 Years a Slave themes are very much alike.
- Well aware of his tendency to do this, Christopher Nolan strictly forbade him from doing this for Interstellar, asking for an entirely original composition.