We're leaving Babylon/ we're going to our father's land.Bob Marley
's most famous and celebrated album, providing several hit singles, including "Exodus", "Jammin'", "One Love", "Three Little Birds" and "Waiting In Vain". In contrast with most of his earlier output the album was recorded in London
, rather than Jamaica
, after Marley was the victim of a failed murder attack in his native country.
In 1999 Time Magazine
named "Exodus" the "Best Musical Album of the 20th Century" and it's certainly seen as one of Marley's best, if not his Magnum Opus
- "Natural Mystic" (3:28)
- "So Much Things To Say" (3:08)
- "Guiltiness" (3:19)
- "The Heathen" (2:32)
- "Exodus" (7:39)
- "Jamming" (3:31)
- "Waiting In Vain" (4:15)
- "Turn Your Lights Down Low" (3:39)
- "Three Little Birds" (3:00)
- "One Love/People Get Ready" (2:53)
"Tropes of the People":
- Always a Bigger Fish: "Guiltiness"
These are the big fish/who will always try and eat down the small fish"
- Army of the Dead: "The Heathen":
Rise oh fallen fighters/rise and take your stands again.
- Broken Record:
We're jamming, we're jamming, we're jamming, we're jammming, we're jamming, we're jamming, we're jamming, we're jamming... hope you like jamming too!
- Crapsack World: '
'"We're leaving Babylon"'' in "Exodus".
- "Guiltiness" also counts.
- Epic Rocking: Definitely the song "Exodus".
- Face on the Cover: The band is seen on the album cover, albeit very small and below the title.
- The Future Will Be Better: The basic message of the songs "Exodus" and "Three Little Birds".
- Guilt Complex: "Guiltiness"
Guiltiness rests on their conscious, oh yeah!
- I Just Want To Be Free:
- In Harmony with Nature: "Natural Mystic".
- I Will Wait for You: "Waiting In Vain".
- Manly Tears: "Waiting In Vain"
Tears in my eyes burn/ tears in my eyes burn/ while I'm waiting/ while I'm waiting for my turn.
- The Migration: "Exodus"
We're going to our father's land
- One-Word Title: "Exodus", "Jammin'".
- The Power of Love: "One Love", "Turn Your Lights Down Low" and "Waiting In Vain".
- The Promised Land: "Exodus":
We're going to our fathers' land.
- Rule of Three: "Three Little Birds".
- Bob sings in "Waiting In Vain" that it's been three years since he's knocking on her door.
- Shout-Out: "One Love" borrows a line from Music/TheImpressions ' "People Get Ready".
- Talking Animal: The birds in "Three Little Birds" apparently are able to speak to Bob. (In reality they were a metaphor for his backing choir, the I-Threes.)
- Title Track:
EXODUS: MOVEMENT OF JAH PEOPLE!