Everclear is a alternative rock band formed in Portland, Oregon in 1992 best known for their radio hits spanning more than a decade. For most of its existence, Everclear has consisted of Art Alexakis (vocals & guitar), Craig Montoya (bass guitar & vocals), and Greg Eklund (drums, percussion & vocals). Eklund replaced original drummer Scott Cuthbert in 1994. Montoya and Eklund departed the band in 2003, but Alexakis continued the band with Dave "Davey" French (guitar), Josh Crawley (keyboards), Sam Hudson (bass guitar), and Tommy Stewart (drums, percussion). However all members except for Alexakis left the band in July 2009 to be replaced with a 3rd lineup of Everclear.The lineup, as of 2015, is Alexakis (vocals/guitar), French (guitar), Crawley (keyboards), Freddy Herrera (bass), and Sean Winchester (drums).
- Abusive Parents: "Father of Mine" and "Wonderful". Doubles as Parental Abandonment.
- Black Gal on White Guy Drama: "Heartspark Dollarsign" is about this.
- Darker and Edgier: 2015's "Black in the New Black" is probably their hardest album yet.
- Department of Redundancy Department: This lyric from "I Will Buy You A New Life":
- I will buy you a new car / Perfect, shiny and new.
- Former Teen Rebel: "Volvo Driving Soccer Mom".
- I Am the Band: Art Alexakis is Everclear, or has been since 2003 anyway.
- Lyrical Dissonance: "Santa Monica", "Amphetamine", "Wonderful", "Father of Mine".
- Precision F-Strike: "Local God", "Strawberry".
- Watch the World Die: "Santa Monica" is the Trope Namer, though, honestly, the other lyrics don't seem all that apocalyptic, which only makes that chorus even more baffling.
- When I Was Your Age: "AM Radio".