(born March 10, 1992) is an American teen actress and singer-songwriter. She is best known as Lilly Truscott on the Disney Channel Kid Com Hannah Montana
. She is also the little sister of actor Haley Joel Osment.
Emily expanded her repertoire into pop music
and more recently alternative/indie rock
where she has recorded teen pop hits like "I Don't Think About It", "If I Didn't Have You" alongside her Hannah Montana
co-star Mitchel Musso, and "Once Upon a Dream". Her debut album, Fight or Flight, was released on October 5, 2010 via Wind-up Records.
- All The Right Wrongs [EP] (2009)
- Fight or Flight (2010)
- Adrift (2012)
Tropes she exhibits
- Adorkable: As Lilly Truscott.
- Deadpan Snarker: Can be this way, along with Self-Deprecation, especially on Twitter at times, with a unique brand of dry humor. Also fulfills the Snarker role on Hannah Montana.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Listen to the early, innocuous teen pop of "I Don't Think About It" and compare it with the likes of "Marisol", "Drift" or her Fight Or Flight album.
- Follow Your Heart: Marisol.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Lovesick...just...Lovesick. Listen close to the lyrics...
- "Let's Be Friends" ("...so we can make out"), too, though it plays as tongue-in-cheek.
- Gratuitous Panning: Double Talk.
- Irony As She Is Cast: Lilly Truscott has a terrible singing voice, whille Emily herself is a pretty good singer.
- Leads to a pretty bad case of Hollywood Tone Deaf.
- She is attending Occidental College in LA as of 2012, and is a well-educated daughter of teachers. This contrasts greatly with her Lilly role (even though Lilly and Miley do get to attend Standford College by the last season).
- Meganekko: She isn't known for wearing glasses, but at least in this photo, she definitely can count as this.
- New Sound Album: Her EP All The Right Wrongs has a pop-rock sound, while Fight Or Flight has a synth-pop/dubstep/electronica feel.
- Her Twitter postings seem to hint that her new music might take on a more folksy/acoustic bent, possibly with fiddle parts. Word Of God mentions "less techno, more authentic", and she's posed the question of whether she might make an album "showing her Southern roots" (her parents hailed from Alabama).
- She has taken the folk style to her new college-based band, Ramshackle, performing and producing YouTube videos with a spartan vocals/acoustic guitar/fiddle/percussion lineup.
- Playing Against Type: As an martial arts-practicing contract killer in the upcoming web series Cleaners. Recent pictures and videos Emily has posted on Twitter from the shooting locations of the series show her face and hands covered in fake blood and scars.
- Self-Deprecation: Her Twitter posts often have a self-deprecating sense of humor about her 5'2'' height, "hipster" Indie Rock musical influences and fascinations with pandas and Canada, where she often tours.
- She's Got Legs: Very much◊ so◊.
- Spiritual Successor: Sierra Mc Cormick and Peyton R. List can be seen as these.
- Word Salad Lyrics: Many of the songs on her Fight Or Flight album have cryptic, poetic lyrics. "Drift" is another good example.