Music: Ego Likeness
Ego Likeness is a Darkwave/Industrial Rock band from Baltimore, Maryland. It was formed in 1999 by artist Steven Archer and writer Donna Lynch, the same year as their marriage.Their music gives off a dark, poetic atmosphere and are frequently on the cynical end of the Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism.They have toured extensively with Angelspit, Ayria, The Cruxshadows and Voltaire throughout Europe and North America and are currently signed to Metropolis records.Discography:Albums
- Songs From A Dead City (Demo, 1999)
- Dragonfly (2000 and re-released in 2012)
- Water To The Dead (2004)
- Order Of The Reptile (2006)
- Breedless (2010)
- South (2007)
- West (2008)
- North (2009)
- East (2012)
- The Lowest Place On Earth (2008)
- Treacherous Thing (2012)
Tropes relating to Ego Likeness:
- The Anti-Nihilist: Save Your Serpent:Build no temple
What you came from
Who you are
And you're owed nothing
Just feel lucky
To leave a trace of who you are.
* Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: From the chorus of Burn Witch Burn"You've connived and deceived and you've learned how to read."
- Badass Beard: Steven.
- Book Ends: The first and last songs from Dragonfly end with: "Does that answer your question?".
- Burn the Witch!: Burn Witch Burn.
- Cover Version: Of Afterhours and Tea In The Sahara.
- Crapsack World: Funny Olde World, Song For Samael, Burn Witch Burn. Yeah a lot of their songs in general.
- Creator Couple
- Dark Wave / Industrial: They kind of skim the borders between the two.
- The Determinator: Raise Your Red Flags:Burn your white flags
Refuse to surrender
Then raise your red flags
* Dragonfly Of Transformation: The Dragonfly album has a strong theme of personal rebirth.
- Feathered Fiend: Aviary doesnít paint a particularly flattering picture of birds.
In come the vultures / Through dusty air / To take you down and / Tear the ribbons from your hair.
- Circling Vultures: The first verse...
In come the blackbirds / In murders and in droves / To cover you in shadow / As they clean you to the bone.
- Creepy Crows: The third verse...
And here I come, the firebird / Don't offer up your sorrow / Today you see me crash and burn / But I'll be back tomorrow.
- The Phoenix: The fourth verse...
- Humans Are the Real Monsters: They use this trope a lot.
- In the Blood: The Devil's In The Chemicals suggests this.
- Kind Hearted Cat Lover
- Lilith: A few songs from Breedless seem to be sung from her perspective.
- Of Corsets Sexy: Donna.
- Perky Goth: Both Steven and Donna.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: In the Treacherous Thing video clip; Donna is the red and Steven is the blue.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: Save Your Serpent is a subversion.
- Schedule Slip: The Compass series was supposed to be four EPs released over four years, starting in 2007. However, East wasn't released until 2012.
- Shout-Out: Their name is one to Dune and thereís a song called Iím Not Mary Ann on the The Lowest Place On Earth single.
- Funny Olde World as in "It'd be a funny old world, he reflected, if demons went round trusting one another."
- The Something Song: "Song for Samael".
- Stockholm Syndrome: "I'm Not Mary Ann".
- Surreal Music Video: Treacherous Thing.
- Theme Naming: The Compass EPs.