Lord of the bones
So assured of your throne
Ruler of men among thousand towers
King of your kin
Not to be confused with these dragons
, or these ones
Dragonland are a Power Metal
band from Sweden, established in 1999. Their first two albums, The Battle of the Ivory Plains
and Holy War
, are based on a fantasy saga
named The Dragonland Chronicles, written by lead guitarist Olof Mörck and vocalist Jonas Heidgert. These albums, while applauded for the skill which the band members showed, were criticized for being highly derivative of Rhapsody of Fire
In 2004, everything changed with their release of Starfall
. It was widely well received, with some Metal Archives reviewers calling it ‘the best Power Metal
album of all time.’ It had Vikings
imagery, and plenty of people going insane
. Next, in 2006, Dragonland released Astronomy
, whichi continued with the theme of avoiding the traditional Power Metal lyrical themes
. By this time, Dragonland had carved out a unique sound for themselves.
In 2011, Dragonland released another album, Under the Grey Banner
. This album heralded a return to the Dragonland chronicles, and was universally praised by fans and critics alike.Current members:
- Jonas Heidgert - vocals(1999–present), drums (2000–2002)
- Olof Mörck lead guitar(2000–present)
- Jesse Lindskog – rhythm guitar(2009–present), drums (2003–2009)
- Elias Holmlid -keyboard, synthesizer, piano(2000–present)
- Morten Lowe Sorensen - drums(2009–present)
- Anders Hammer- bass(2007–present)
The band and their music provide examples of:
- Backstory: The booklets that come with each of the “Dragonland Chronicles” CDs are filled with the history of the universe where the story takes place.
- A God Am I: The protagonist of Holy War in the “Dragonland Chronicles”.
- Ac CENT Upon The Wrong Syl LA Ble: This happens at the start of 'The Shores of our Land.
- Ascend to a Higher Plane of Existence: The protagonist of Holy War in the “Dragonland Chronicles” becomes a god after slaying
- Berserk Button: The second Protagonist (Holy War) gets this at the end of Forever Walking Alone.
- Chosen One: The Dragonborn in each of the “Dragonland Chronicles” albums.
- Conveniently Timed Attack From Behind: Sariel saving Ilmarion from the King of Westmar in the album's title track, Duviel helps as well but Westmar kills Duviel as she kills him.
- Concept Album
- Cover Version: Their cover of Rusty Nail by X Japan, complete with the vocalist singing in near-perfect Japanese, is famous among the X Japan fandom, for good reasons rather than for the reasons a lot of X covers are famous.
- Determinator: Pretty much all of the protagonists in the Dragonland Chronicles, and some more people in Under the Grey Banner.
- Distressed Damsel: Duviel in Fire and Brimstone
- Epic Rocking: The title track from “Under the Grey Banner” lasts for eight minutes and four seconds.
- Evil Sounds Deep: The King of Westmar from Under The Grey Banner.
- Ham-to-Ham Combat: In the title track of 'Under the Grey Banner' has the king of Westmar, (Voiced by a Swedish opera singer)battling against a the protagonist; Illmarion the Islander
- Heavy Mithril : Their first two and fifth albums, along with “The Shores of Our Land” from “Starfall” and much of “Astronomy”.
- Heroic BSOD: The first protagonist gets this in Graveheart when his brother reveals to him that he's the son of a dragon.
- Also happens to the Protagonist of Holy War in Forever Walking Alone.
- Hey, It's That Voice! - Ever since Starfall, most notably:
- Tom Englund on Starfall's "In Perfect Harmony", "The Dream Seeker", "The Shores of Our Land", and its titular one.
- Elize Ryd on "Too Late For Sorrow", "Cassiopeia", and chanting in the intro for "Supernova". Also plays Sariel in Under the Grey Banner.
- Jimmie Strimmel does the growl vocals in a few songs on Astronomy.
- Jake E sings with Elize Ryd on Too Late For Sorrow, he even sings simultaneously with Fred Johanson for a moment in Under the Grey Banner.
- Fred Johanson voices The King of Westmar.
- Horny Vikings: 'The Shores of Our Land' is about a raiding party of Vikings.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: Westmar's monologue in Throne of Bones.
- Kill The Gods: After killing all his enemies, the protagonist of Holy War singlehandedly eliminates the gods and takes their place.
- Lighter and Softer: “Starfall”, at least musically to the rest of their work.
- Loved I Not Honor More: Given The protagonist of The Battle of the Ivory Plains.
- No Name Given: Practically nearly every character in Part I and Part II of "The Dragonland Chronicles". In fact, it is a miracle any character in those are named. Averted in "Under the Grey Banner (Part III)"
- One of Us: The band are reported to all be big gamers, especially fans of the Final Fantasy and The Elder Scrolls games.
- Jesse Lindskog is a Redskins fan, hence the big 'ol Reskins shirt he wears in one of the pictures in Starfall's booklet.
- Power Metal
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge : Blazing Hate.
- Rock Me, Amadeus!: A piece of music by the Trope Namer, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is featured In “The Battle of the Ivory Plains.”
- Rock Opera
- Sanity Slippage Song: “As Madness Took me” from “Starfall”.
- Much more so in the demo compared to the Starfall version:
I never thought that I would see the truth behind the lie
So now I've opened my eyes
Now I must find the reason. find the remedy
I leave my sanity behind
Madness took my mind
I have to find the reason, find the remedy
The future tears my mind apart
Now, I must deal with all the sorrow
I must face my fears
Soon, I will turn into a shadow
I shall deal with the pain
I feel lost from all the voices whispering into my ear.
- Subdued Section: In “The Tempest:”
Spirits of the sea
Hearken unto me
The tempest made me see
What must be
- Symphonic Metal
- This Cannot Be!: King of Westmar in Under The Grey Banner, and a little bit of the first protagonist during The Battle of the Ivory Plains.
- Together in Death: In 'One With All', the protagonist of Holy War chapter, he finally achieves godhood, but gives it up to end his own life to be with his lover he'd lost in Forever Walking Alone.