Music: Does It Offend You, Yeah?
Does It Offend You, Yeah? are a British electronic/rock band from Reading, Berkshire. Formed in 2006, the current lineup consists of JAMESDANROBMATTCHLOE, or James Rushent (vocals, guitar), Dan Coop (synthesizer), Rob Bloomfield (drums), Matty Derham (guitar, synthesizer, previously of the band Fields), and Chloe Duveaux (bass, formerly of the band Elle Milano). The band has only changed its lineup once, as their former guitarist Morgan Quaintance left the band in 2009.Named after a line Ricky Gervais said in an episode of the UK version of The Office, DIOYY (as they are commonly known) are known for their loud and energetic live shows and their style, which can switch to Daft Punk-esque electronica to simple acoustic rock in no time flat, as can be seen here. Their most famous song, "We Are Rockstars", was used in the trailer for Fast And Furious in 2009. In addition, the band's songs have also been used in stuff from an episode of Chuck to the 2010 version of Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit to an episode of Gossip Girl to the 81st Academy Awards. You might've heard their songs before, even if you don't know who the band is.The band has released two albums (as of 2011):
- You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into (2008),
- and Don't Say We Didn't Warn You ( 2011)
These examples make me, they break me, and maybe, they're draiiiiiiining...
- Animated Music Video: The video for "Let's Make Out."
- Broken Record: "LET'S MAKE OUT! LET'S MAKE OUT! LET'S MAKE OUT! LET'S MAKE OUT! LET'S MAKE OUT! LET'S MAKE OUT! LET'S MAKE OUT! LET'S MAKE OUT!"
- Careful with That Axe: "Let's Make Out", at the end of it.
- Cover Version: They have a live one of "Whip It" by Devo.
- Darker and Edgier: You Have No Idea... is an album that blurs the lines between electronic and punk. Don't Say We Didn't Warn You is similar, but is much darker in lyrical content and swearing. Both are great albums.
- Electronic Music: And Punk Rock, too.
- Iconic Item: James's bright blue beanie.
- Intentionally Awkward Title: What else would they be trying to do? The name of the band itself, the albums, and more than a few of the songs (case in point: "Let's Make Out", "Attack Of The 60 Ft. Lesbian Octopus", "Being Bad Feels Pretty Good", etc.)
- Long Title: You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into by Does It Offend You, Yeah is a real mouthful. Don't Say We Didn't Warn You is less so, but not by much.
- Lyrical Dissonance: "With A Heavy Heart (I Regret to Inform You)" is a loud, fast, awesomely awesome-sounding track that seems to be sung by the patrons of a funeral.
- Studio Chatter: "Let's Make Out" ends with a long Metal Scream then the producer joking "Ok, that was great...but uh, do it again."
- Sampling: Quite a bit of the vocals on the second album. Namely, "The Monkeys Are Coming" samples a YouTube clip where a homeless person rants at a bunch of skateboarders, and "Wrestler" samples a pep talk Paul Heyman gives in Beyond the Mat.
- Speedy Techno Remake: Their version of "Whip It".
- Title Only Chorus: LET'SMAKEOUTLET'SMAKEOUTLET'SMAKEOUTLET'SMAKEOUT-LET'SMAKEOUTLET'SMAKEOUTLET'SMAKEOUTLET'SMAKEOUT.
- Metal Scream: The "COME OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!" at the end of "Let's Make Out" is an absolutely incredible one.
- Mood Whiplash: "We Are Rockstars" and "We Are The Dead" both switch from "normal old electronica/acoustic rock" to "HOLYCRAPTHISISAWESOME" at the bat of an eye.
- Non-Indicative Title: "Attack of the 60 Ft. Lesbian Octopus".
- "Wrestler" is actually an aversion of this, as all of its lyrics are taken from a speech by Paul Heyman to the wrestlers of ECW in the locker room in a 90's pay per view special.
- Obligatory Swearing: Don't Say We Didn't Warn You has much more swearing than You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into.