Go and try to tear me down
Demi Lovato (born August 20, 1992) is an American actress and singer-songwriter. She is best known for her roles as Mitchie Torres in the Disney Channel Original Movie Camp Rock
and its sequel Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam
, and as Sonny Munroe in Sonny With A Chance
. Lovato starred in the 2009 movie Princess Protection Program
. Before Disney Channel
, she was one of the kids on Barney & Friends
.As a solo musical artist
, Lovato released her debut album Don't Forget
on September 23, 2008. The album debuted at #2 on the Billboard 200, selling 89,000 copies in the first week. It has since sold over 473,000 records in the US. Demi stated in an interview that the album was recorded in ten days. Lovato released her second album, Here We Go Again
, on July 21, 2009. The album debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200, selling 108,000 copies in the first week.
Her third album, Unbroken
, was released on September 20, 2011. It debuted at #4 on the Bilboard 200, selling 96,000 copies in the first week. It is a New Sound R&B
and electropop album, and she promoted the album with the "A Special Night with Demi Lovato" tour. After this, she aired an MTV special Stay Strong
, in which she discussed her many issues in-depth and admitted it may take a lifetime to recover from her issues. Joined the American version of The X Factor
with Britney Spears
as a judge and while there created the group, Fifth Harmony
. Her fourth album, Demi,
was released in early 2013. In the fall of 2013 she began guest-starring on Glee
as Santana's new love interest Dani.
She sang the pop version of "Let It Go
" from Frozen
Compare to her Japanese counterpart May'n
.She has apparently been around since the 70's.
- Don't Forget (2008)
- Here We Go Again (2009)
- Unbroken (2011)
- Demi (2013)
Tropes that apply to Demi Lovato's work:
- Album Title Drop: The Don't Forget, and Here We Go Again songs.
- Also Demi, which is dropped by Cher Lloyd on "Really Don't Care".
- The "Unbroken" song.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: "Trainwreck".
- Anti-Love Song: "Heart Attack", "Without the Love".
- Award Bait Song: "Two Pieces" and "Nightingale".
- Breakup Song: "Everytime You Lie", "Don't Forget", "Gonna Get Caught", "Everything You're Not", "Mistake", "In Real Life", "Really Don't Care".
- The Cast Showoff: In both Camp Rock and Sonny With A Chance.
- Celeb Crush: She's said hers is William Beckett from The Academy Is...
- Cool Big Sis: Dallas Lovato is this to Demi, Demi is this to half-sister Madison De La Garza.
- Cover Version: "Mercy On Me", "Daydream", "How To Love".
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: The "stick one finger in the air" line in "Really Don't Care".
- Hopeless Suitor: The subject of "Something That We're Not".
- Just Friends: "Give Your Heart a Break", her hit in 2012, is about a girl trying to convince a male friend that they should be more.
- Melismatic Vocals
- Mood Whiplash: Unbroken falls halfway between hip-hop party anthems and Creator Breakdown fueled ballads. Justified as her breakdown occurred in-between the recording the album.
- New Sound Album: Unbroken has a more electro and R&B/Hip-Hop sound to it compared to her two previous albums, which were more rock oriented.
- Precision F-Strike: There's a video of her rapping a song by Drake feat. Big Sean, and she shouts "HOE, SHUT THE FUCK UP!" along with the music. It didn't attract anywhere near as much controversy as expected.
- Promoted Fan Girl: worked with John Mayer, William Beckett JR of The Acadamy Is and Jon McLaughlin for Here We Go Again. Working with Britney Spears for X-Factor.
- Power of Friendship: "Two Worlds Collide" about her relationship with Selena Gomez.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Because of personal issues, she didn't return to Sonny With A Chance, causing the series to do a Re Tool into So Random!.
- Rock Star Song: "La La Land".
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Everytime You Lie", "Mistake", "Everything You're Not.
- Self-Backing Vocalist: Not always, but it does happen (e.g. 'Catch Me'). Otherwise, she's had people like the Jonas Brothers and Kara DioGuardi as her backing singers in the studio.
- Self Empowerment Anthem: "Skyscraper"
You can take everything I have/You can break everything I am
Like I'm made of glass/Like I'm made of paper
Go on and try to tear me down
I will be rising from the ground/Like a skyscraper/Like a skyscraper
- Self-Titled Album: Her FOURTH album.
- Silly Love Songs: "Catch Me", "Trainwreck", "Hold Up", "In Real Life", "Unbroken", "Lightweight", "Stop the World", "My Love Is Like A Star", "Made in the USA", "Neon Lights", "Two Pieces", "Nightingale", "Never Been Hurt".
- Stalker with a Crush / Obsession Song: Until You're Mine treads the fine line between both of these concepts.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: "Get Back", "Here We Go Again".
- Surprisingly Gentle Song: "For The Love Of A Daughter" and "Skyscraper" provide calm thoughtful moments on the Unbroken album.
- Take That: La La Land is aimed at Hollywood AND Disney for their need to artificially perfect their teen idols.
- For The Love of A Daughter to her father.
- Everytime You Lie to the guy who did those things to her.
- Really Don't Care appeared to be one to Joe Jonas (though they're since reconciled).
- Title Track: Her first three albums all have one.
- A Wild Rapper Appears: Cher Lloyd in the bridge of "Really Don't Care" plays with this - she's not a rapper on her own, and the first half of said bridge has her singing and not rapping, but the second half has the latter.
- Your Cheating Heart: "Gonna Get Caught", "Everytime You Lie", "Solo", "U Got Nothing On Me", "World Of Chances"
I'll come rising from the ground, like a skyscraper'