Demi Lovato (born August 20, 1992) is an American actress and singer-songwriter. She is best known for her roles as Mitchie Torres in the Disney Channel Original Movie Camp Rock
and its sequel Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam
, and as Sonny Munroe in Sonny With a Chance
. Lovato starred in the 2009 movie Princess Protection Program
. Before Disney Channel
, she was one of the kids on Barney & Friends
.As a solo musical artist
, Lovato released her debut album Don't Forget
on September 23, 2008. The album debuted at #2 on the Billboard 200, selling 89,000 copies in the first week. It has since sold over 473,000 records in the US. Demi stated in an interview that the album was recorded in ten days. Lovato released her second album, Here We Go Again
, on July 21, 2009. The album debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200, selling 108,000 copies in the first week.
Her third album, Unbroken
, was released on September 20, 2011. It debuted at #4 on the Bilboard 200, selling 96,000 copies in the first week. It is a New Sound R&B
and electropop album, and she promoted the album with the "A Special Night with Demi Lovato" tour. After this, she aired an MTV special Stay Strong
, in which she discussed her many issues in-depth and admitted it may take a lifetime to recover from her issues. Joined the American version of The X Factor
with Britney Spears
as a judge.
Compare to her Japanese counterpart May'n
.She has apparently been around since the 70's.
- Don't Forget (2008)
- Here We Go Again (2009)
- Unbroken (2011)
- Demi (2013)
Ms. Lovato exhibits tropes such as:
- Abusive Parents: Her birth dad was an alcoholic abuser who ditched her, then reconnected with her again when she got famous, and used her fame to make her look bad. Her mother is also accused of ignoring her various mental issues.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: "Trainwreck".
- And Now For Something Completely Different / New Sound Album: Unbroken has a more electro and R&B/Hip-Hop sound to it compared to her two previous albums, which were more rock oriented.
- Album Title Drop: The Don't Forget, and Here We Go Again songs.
- Anti-Love Song: "Heart Attack", "Without the Love".
- Award Bait Song: "Two Pieces" and "Nightingale".
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Demi alternates between all three hair colors. Her natural hair color is brunette◊.
- Breakup Song: "Everytime You Lie", "Don't Forget", "Gonna Get Caught", "Everything You're Not", "Mistake", "In Real Life", "Really Don't Care".
- Career Resurrection: Skyscraper was one of the most successful songs of 2011, and Unbroken is very successful in America and South America.
- The Cast Showoff: In both Camp Rock and Sonny With A Chance.
- Celeb Crush: She's said hers is William Beckett from The Academy Is...
- Cover Version: "Mercy On Me", "Daydream", "How To Love".
- Creator Backlash: Has recently told Billboard magazine that the "party songs" section of "Unbroken" was uncomfortable and dishonest for her, that she really is sick of unrelatable "party songs" on the radio in general, and she wants her music to be more honest to herself and her fans and have a more positive message than "partying and drinking and getting high".
- Dark-Skinned Blonde
- Deadpan Snarker: Can definitely be one in interviews; her appearances in The X Factor brought a lot of this out in her exchanges with Simon Cowell.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Sometime in 2009 before her breakdown, she began to take on an oddly white "Michael-Jackson"esque complexion. See for yourself.
- Fallen Princess
- Genki Girl: When she's in a good mood.
- Heterosexual Life Partners: With Selena Gomez, and to a lesser extent, Miley Cyrus.
- Hopeless Suitor: The subject of "Something That We're Not".
- I Meant to Do That - One time when she was performing "Until You're Mine", she tripped and started laughing. During one of the instumental breaks, she said "I planned that, the whole falling thing? That was already planned!"
- Just Friends: "Give Your Heart a Break", her hit in 2012, is about a girl trying to convince a male friend that they should be more.
- Melismatic Vocals
- Mood Whiplash: Unbroken falls halfway between hip-hop party anthems and Creator Breakdown fueled ballads. Justified as her breakdown occurred in-between the recording the album.
- Ms. Fanservice: Would sometimes go to this territory at times, and even more due to her new look.
- Odd Friendship: She's actually really good friends with Kim Kardashian.
- One of Us: Or as much as a Disney star can be; she's a self-confessed metalhead, dropping names like Job for a Cowboy, Abigail Williams and Maylene and the Sons of Disaster. She apparently once tried to show it to Joe Jonas, who didn't like it at all. Her song La La Land basically cements this.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: As much as they love each other, Britney Spears has out shone Demi in regards to The X Factor.
- Promoted Fan Girl: worked with John Mayer, William Beckett JR of The Acadamy Is and Jon McLaughlin for Here We Go Again. Working with Britney Spears for X Factor.
- Power of Friendship: "Two Worlds Collide" about her relationship with Selena Gomez and arguably the rest of their friendship shows this rule.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Before she got a tan and dyed her hair.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Because of personal issues, she won't be returning to Sonny With A Chance, causing the series to do a Re Tool into So Random!.
- Rock Star Song: "La La Land".
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Everytime You Lie", "Mistake", "Everything You're Not.
- Running Gag: Ever since the episodes of Shake it Up! and So Random! got pulled (see Dude Not Funny in YMMV), some Disney Channel fans joke that whenever an episode of a series gets pulled for some reason (or hasn't shown up in rotation for a good while), it must be because Demi found something offensive about it.
- Self-Backing Vocalist: Not always, but it does happen (e.g. 'Catch Me'). Otherwise, she's had people like the Jonas Brothers and Kara DioGuardi as her backing singers in the studio.
- Self Empowerment Anthem: Sky Scraper
You can take everything I have/You can break everything I am
Like I'm made of glass/Like I'm made of paper
Go on and try to tear me down
I will be rising from the ground/Like a skyscraper/Like a skyscraper
- Self-Titled Album: Her FOURTH album.
- Silly Love Songs: "Catch Me", "Trainwreck", "Hold Up", "In Real Life", "Unbroken", "Lightweight", "Stop the World", "My Love Is Like A Star", "Made in the USA", "Neon Lights", "Two Pieces", "Nightingale", "Never Been Hurt".
- Stalker with a Crush / Obsession Song: Until You're Mine treads the fine line between both of these concepts.
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: "Get Back", "Here We Go Again".
- Spiritual Successor: To Ashlee Simpson, starts doing rock, then experiments with Jazz and then goes to a RNB/Electronic route. Has a famous working sister in the business (This time Younger) and complex father issues. Also wrote a take that towards the general Hollywood and perfection machine.
- Surprisingly Gentle Song: "For The Love Of A Daughter" and "Skyscraper" provide calm thoughtful moments on the Unbroken album.
- Take That: La La land is aimed at Hollywood AND Disney for their need to artificially perfect their teen idols.
- For The Love of A Daughter to her father.
- Everytime You Lie to the guy who did those things to her.
- Title Track: Her first three albums all have one.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: With Selena Gomez. In an interview, Demi calls herself the girly girl, while Selena calls herself a tomboy.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Simon Cowell.
- Your Cheating Heart: "Gonna Get Caught", "Everytime You Lie", "Solo", "U Got Nothing On Me", "World Of Chances"