Music: Deep Purple In Rock
Deep Purple In Rock.Deep Purple In Rock
is the fourth studio album by Deep Purple
, released in 1970. It is their first album with the classic "Mark II" line-up. Founding lead vocalist Rod Evans and founding bassist Nick Simper were fired from the band and replaced by Ian Gillan
and Roger Glover
, both from Episode Six. Guitarist Ritchie Blackmore
then took point with regards to the band's creative direction from keyboardist Jon Lord
, and thus what was recorded would in ways herald the birth of Heavy Metal
. The band did not forget their progressive roots however, and thus long solos by both Blackmore and Lord or a series of shorter but alternating solos dominate the record.The album had a 25th anniversary re-release in 1995
, featuring plenty of bonus content - among them, "Black Night", one of Deep Purple's greatest hits which had only been released as a single before.
Tracklist: Side One
- "Speed King" (5:52)
- "Bloodsucker" (4:16)
- "Child In Time" (10:18)
- "Flight Of The Rat" (7:53)
- "Into The Fire" (3:30)
- "Living Wreck" (4:31)
- "Hard Lovin' Man" (7:11)
Bonus Tracks (25th Anniversary Edition):
- "Black Night"
- "Studio Chat (1)"
- "Speed King (Piano Version)"
- "Studio Chat (2)"
- "Cry Free (Remix)"
- "Studio Chat (3)"
- "Jam Stew"
- "Studio Chat (4)"
- "Flight Of The Rat (Remix)"
- "Studio Chat (5)"
- "Speed King (Remix)"
- "Studio Chat (6)"
- "Black Night (Remix)"
"Deep Purple In Trope":
- But Now I Must Go:
You really really grab me, but I've gotta move before they know I'm here and spread the news
Oh gotta catch a train
- Careful With That Axe: Ian Gillan's screams, especially on "Child in Time" are pretty otherworldly.
- Continuity Nod: "Bloodsucker" name-drops "take a lesson from a hard lovin' man", a reference to the track "Hard Lovin' Man".
- Epic Rocking: "Speed King", "Child in Time", "Flight of the Rat", "Hard Lovin' Man".
- Face on the Cover: The band à la Mount Rushmore.
- Intercourse with You: "Hard Lovin' Man".
Come back here it's not over
Can't you see there's still time girl
I can last make it fast now
- I Just Want To Be Free: "Flight Of The Rat"
Now I'm free
And I can see
That I am mee
- Metal Scream: Prominent in a lot of songs, most famously "Child In Time".
- One Man Song: "Hard Lovin' Man"
- One-Word Title: "Bloodsucker".
- Patriotic Fervor: "Bloodsucker"
Got an English brain that's gonna make me wise
- Rushmore Refacement: The most famous example in rock history.
- Self-Titled Album: Borderline case.
- "Speed King" name-drops Little Richard's "Good Golly Miss Molly", "Tutti Frutti", "Lucille" and "Rip It Up".
- Gotlib once spoofed the album cover with the characters from his Hamster Jovial strip. 
- Song Of Song Titles: "Speed King" name-drops several lines from famous rock 'n' roll songs.
- Take That:
Gonna get a message through, you're gonna- into the fire
Ah, you know you're a living wreck
- Ur Example: One for Hard Rock and Heavy Metal.
- Visual Pun: The cover art interprets the album's name literally - Deep Purple are carved in rock.
- War Is Hell: "Child In Time"
See the blind man shooting at the world
Bullets flying taking toll