Music: Cold Cave
Cold Cave is the Darkwave and Synth Pop act of Wesley Eisold, a former Hardcore vocalist based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Cold Cave is intended as something of a Genre Relaunch due to the absence (or relative small amount of) new Goth Rock bands currently in existence, and much of Cold Cave's signature sound is borrowed from classic Post-Punk like Joy Division and The Cure, as well as some darker classic Synth Pop such as Depeche Mode. Cold Cave is quickly gaining quite a bit of genre cred, having toured alongside classic Synth Pop artist Gary Numan and Douglas Mccarthy (the former vocalist of the classic industrial band Nitzer Ebb) as well as infamous Industrial spoken-word artist and Social Darwinist provocateur Boyd Rice. More recently Cold Cave has opened for Nine Inch Nails. Cold Cave's upcoming album, Sunflower, is due for a release in 2014.Discography:
- Sunflower, 2014 (Upcoming)
- Cherish the Light Years, 2011
- Love Comes Close, 2009
The band and their music provide examples of the following:
- Abandoned Area: "Pacing Around the Church"
- Darkwave: The primary form of music
- Deliberately Monochrome: The general aesthetic of Cold Cave's promotional materials
- Genre Relaunch: One of the newer wave of alternative Darkwave acts
- Genre Shift: Cold Cave is this from Wes Eisold's previous work. Early Cold Cave was actually closer to Industrial/Noise before making a shift to Synth Pop
- Handicapped Badass: Singer Wes Eisold has (and plays keyboard with) only one hand.
- Humans Are Bastards: "People are Poison"
- Misanthrope Supreme: Songs like "Black Boots" and "People are Poison"
- Synth Pop: Describes Cold Cave's general sound
- Token Evil Teammate: Cold Cave/Wes Eisold has worked extensively with Boyd Rice, who has even played keys for some of Cold Cave's live shows.