Music: Carlos Santana
Carlos Augusto Alves Santana (born July 20, 1947) is a Mexican American rock guitarist. Santana became famous in the late 1960s and early 1970s with his band, Santana, which pioneered rock, salsa and jazz fusion. The band's sound featured his melodic, blues-based guitar lines set against Latin and African rhythms featuring percussion instruments such as timbales and congas not generally heard in rock music. Santana continued to work in these forms over the following decades. He experienced a resurgence of popularity and critical acclaim in the late 1990s.Rolling Stone recognizes Santana as the twentieth greatest guitarist of all time on their list of 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time. He has won 10 Grammy Awards and 3 Latin Grammy Awards.
Tropes associated with Carlos Santana include:
- Cool Old Guy: He's still going strong at age 70!
- Epic Rocking: He is known for his lengthy and virtuoso guitar solos.
- Check out, for example, from Carlos Santana & Buddy Miles! Live! with the 25-minute jam "Free Form Funkafied Filth."
- I Am the Band: His band is even named after him.
- Nice Hat: Seldom seen without a hat or a bandana.