Music: Captain Dan & the Scurvy Crew
A Floridian rap crew. Captain Dan & the Scurvy Crew are in fact, "The only rap crew with buccaneer technique", yes rapping pirate nerds.
These musician provide examples of: !!!
- Alliterative Name: "Captain" Dan Dolan, their front man.
- Anachronism Stew: See A Pirate 400 Years Too Late:
- Badass Crew: They kick copious amounts of ass.
- Black Comedy Rape"When we're done with this raid, we're gonna plunder your mother."Also "If the wench disagrees, then I'll have to shank her." from Jolly Roger.
- Buxom Is Better: "Chests O'Plenty", which is mostly not about treasure chests.
- Cut His Heart Out with a Spoon: "Hook it Up":Take your doubloon and make the girl swoon
Carving out your heart with a rusty spoon
- Due to the Dead: "All Me Mateys Dead and Gone".
- Eats Babies: As a last resort."When I'm hungry, I cannibalize the cabin boys."
- The Good Captain: Dan of course!
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: They are pirates, after all.
- Homage: "Rime of the Hip Hop Mariners" is one to Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
- Honor Before Reason: Averted. They will do anything to kill and avoid being killed. They are pirates, after all.
- One of Us: One song is called Dead Mines, it's about a raid. They're also inspired by "Tupac Shakur, Eminem and Davey Jones".
- They also have a song about Pirates of the Burning Sea.
- A Pirate 400 Years Too Late: It's not certain what time period they're in, present day or historical, since sailing ships and bowling alleys are both mentioned, but if they're modern, they'd be this in style, but not attitude.
- One of their first songs is Flintlock Glock, combined with the preceding it appears they are in both periods at the same time.
- Pirate Girl: Anne Bonny and Mary Read join Captain Dan to kick ass in "Ladies in Scarlet".
- Punny Name: "It's All About the Booty", "Chests O'Plenty".
- "Sea Weeds" is about both sea weeds and the use of marijuana at sea.
- The Rival: They have several rap battles with "Admiralty" (representing the Royal Navy), and apparently recruit in the same bar.
- Rule of Cool: Rapping. Pirates.
- Screw the War, We're Partying!: On occasion.
- Wenches, Rum, and Hip-Hop: A majority of their songs.
- Shown Their Work: Their nautical references are surprisingly accurate from a landlubbers perspective.
- Stuffy Old Songs About the Buttocks: "It's All About the Booty", which is about Pirate booty. Or is it?
- Unusual Euphemism: Their cannon's always loaded.
- Worthy Opponent: Admiralty is cast in this role from time to time.
- Would Hit a Girl: They are pirates, after all.