It's time for the second TV Tropes Halloween Avatar Contest, theme: cute monsters! Details and voting here.
I'm addicted to your love
I'm addicted to this game
You give me pleasures give me pain
You're the onlyone I need
You're the master I'm your slave
We can reach eternity
Please don't ever let me go
You know I'm your property
And we're running through the night
You're the angel of my dreams
From the darkness into light
I'll follow you
A German Electronic Music
band with lyrics revolving around vampires. "Blut" is German for blood, "engel" for angel. Several songs refers to vampires by euphemisms such as "Angel of the night".
Sadly, has very little to do with vampire space marines
Blutengel lyrics has examples of:
- After the End: World Of Ice
- Ambiguous Situation: The song The Solitary Angel is about a saviour who is "not from heaven sent" - which means it could be a secular force or a spirutal force other then the god of christianity. This character could be a powerful human, since "angel" is a common metaphor for generic benevolence. The character could also be a powerful vampire, since most of the songs from the same band are about vampires and they routinely use "angel" as a euphemism for "vampire" or "lover". And of course, it could also be referring to an angel in the literal religious sense - either one that simply works on it's own accord, or a fallen one. So, what trope or tropes is this?
- Arranged Marriage: The most likely background of the scenes in the song Black Wedding
- Broken Bird / The Woobie: The subject of Broken Girl.
- Creating Life Is Bad: The song The Oxidizing Angel twists the Frankenstein myth a bit. The created woman is exquisitely beautiful, and unlike Frankenstein her creator doesn't abandon her. However, she has a mind without having a soul, and this is utterly traumatic for her for unknown reasons to the creator as he is selfishly in love with her, refuse her plea to kill her. And thus she ended up killing him instead. The dark irony .....and if there were a video it would be much more dark.
- Destructive Romance: Several songs is strong with this trope, including The Oxidising Angel and Black Wedding.
- Downer Beginning: The song "Frozen Heart" starts out just as bleak as the name sounds like, but it turns out to be more about Defrosting Icequeen.
- Dying Alone: The theme of the song I'm Dying Alone.
- Egocentrically Religious: Many of the lyrics present the vampires as abusive and murderous. In Save Our Souls, they finally start worrying about how bad their behavior is... For themselves. They still care nothing for their victims, praying only for their own souls.
We fight against, everything and everyone
With every war, we try to make our kingdom come
Every day we lose ourselves, more and more
But still we pray, for someone to save our souls
- Evil Is Sexy: In-universe, as an underlying theme in most songs mentioned here.
- Fan Flattering: The song Angels Of The Dark has the following to say directly to the listener: You're so much better and you're so different / you don't believe in what they do / I know you are one of us.
- Faux Empowering Entity: God, in the song "No God".
- For Happiness: The Solitary Angel is this. Or maybe not. Who knows what the lyric really means.
- God Is Flawed: In the song No God, God's biggest flaw is that he doesn't exist: "There's a god in your life, / But he is not what you need. / He can't hear you when you call. / He can't help you when you cry. / [...] / Wake up and face reality, realize there is no god. / Wake up open your eyes, / No paradise on the other side!"
- One of the classic philosophical arguments for why God exists is that God is perfect. If God doesn't exist, then he wouldn't be perfect. Thus, God exists. This song turns this argument upside down.
- Grief Song: No Eternity, among others.
- Immortality: Living forever is highlighted as one of the best things about being a vampire in songs such as Vampire Romance.
- It Was a Dark and Stormy Night: The song The Oxidizing Angel begins on this theme.
- Kayfabe Music: The singers are vampires.
- Loudness War: Seelenschmerz is thumbs down one of the worst offenders, as shown here, averaging -4 dbfs, with some tracks going down to as little as -1 dbfs.
- Love Makes You Evil: Can be interpreted into many of their songs, for example The Oxidising Angel.
- Lyrical Dissonance: "The Oxidizing Angel" is an up-tempo, utterly danceable song about a necromancer who resurrects his dead lover. The resurrected lover promptly kills him and dies again because she has no soul.
- Marital Rape License: Black Wedding can be seen this way.
- The Masquerade: Referred to in Soul Of Ice.
- Motif: Apart from vampire-related things like the night, ice and winter feature in many of their songs, such as World Of Ice, Winter Of My Life, and Soul Of Ice.
- Naughty Nuns: The "Moments of Our Lives" DVD has two dancers dressed as nuns during the performance of Lucifer. They eventually strip down to rather sexually charged outfits.
- Of Corsets Sexy: Videos such as Reich mir die Hand.
- Our Vampires Are Different: With songs such as Bloody Pleasures, Children of the night and Vampire Romance.
- Powered by a Forsaken Child: The song Resurrection.
- Property of Love: A main theme in songs such as I Will Follow. See page quote.
- Protagonist-Centered Morality: A core feature of songs such as Lucifer.
- Romanticized Abuse: Several of the songs go along these lines - often on a gender-neutral and structural level, talking about the lifestyles of vampires in general rather then about the actions of individual vampires.
- Satan Is Good: In Lucifer, this trope is invoked but heavily subverted since Lucifer's "goodness" relies on the Protagonist-Centered Morality of a Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds.
- Sex Is Evil and I Am Horny: Seen through the eyes of the victim, in the song Black Wedding.
- Was Actually Friendly: Several songs run on this theme, with the cool vampires inviting the humans to hang out with them and maybe becoming immortal themselves.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: The song Lucifer is about a young woman who has been harassed and pushed around and excluded and everything for years and now has found someone to help her to call down literal hellfire over mankind - assuming one takes the lyric literally, of course.