Music: Blood Stain Child
Blood Stain Child is a Japanese seven-piece Visual Kei heavy metal band formed in Osaka in the year 2000. Originally a Death Metal band with Synth Pop influences, they have since opted for a musical style that combines Melodic Death Metal, Industrial Metal and various styles of Electronic Music including trance, techno and Japanese Pop Music. They were originally an indies band, but is now signed to Pony Canyon as of 2010. While they haven't found any mainstream success, the band has had continued success in Japan and has performed in many events and conventions all over the world.Despite their success, the band has had several lineup changes over the course of their musical career, with only three of the band's original lineup still active.It is arguable that they are fully involved with the Visual Kei movement as they have not explicitly referred to themselves as such, but they have used visuals and costuming similar to many established Visual bands, with the remaining members of the original lineup being the most Visual members of the band. All the band's members are established Visual musicians who have worked with indies bands.
Members (All members use Stage Names)
- Ryo – Bass Guitar, screamed vocals (1999, 2000–present)
- Ryu – Lead guitar, synth guitar (1999, 2000–present)
- Aki – Keyboards, synthesizer, programming, backing vocals (2000–present)
- G.S.R – Rhythm guitar, synth guitar (2007–present)
- Gami (ex–Youthquake) - Drums (2010–present)
- Kiki – clean and screamed vocals (2012–present)
- Makoto - DJ/VJ (2013–present)
- Masato – rhythm guitar, vocals (1999)
- Daiki – rhythm guitar, synth guitar (2000–2005)
- Shiromasa – rhythm guitar, synth guitar (2005–2007)
- Sadew – vocals (2007–2010)
- Violator – drums, percussion (1999, 2000–2010)
- Sophia – vocals (2010–2012)
- Silence of Northern Hell (2002)
- Mystic Your Heart (2003)
- Idolator (2005)
- Mozaiq (2007)
- Epsilon (2011)
Blood Stain Child provides examples of
- Ambiguous Gender: Many fans would say Ryu, but DJ Makoto fits this trope to a T.
- Band of Relatives/Sibling Team: Ryu, the lead guitarist, is the brother of Ryo, the Lead Bassist.
- Beethoven Was an Alien Spy: Sophia's image is that of an "alien loli".
- Berserk Button: Sophia dislikes being called by the nickname "Sophie".
- Bishōnen/Biseinen: The male members of the band with the exception of ex-vocalist Sadew. Ryu, Gami and DJ Makoto, in particular, stand out more than the rest. Also, despite his "bad boy" image, Ryo tends to be this to a lesser extent.
- Canon Discontinuity: Their first two albums, Silence of Northern Hell and Mystic Your Heart have now been largely overlooked by the band and its fanbase.
- Careful with That Axe: The band's harsh vocalists have done particularly brutal examples throughout their career, most notably the opening screams for "Freedom" from Mozaiq and "Sirius VI" from Epsilon.
- Cosplay Otaku Girl: Ryu, a male example. Sophia too...
- Cuteness Proximity: Ryu likes playing with cats.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Ryu is rather famous in the Visual scene for being one of the most convincing crossdressers in Visual Kei. DJ Makoto also appears very waif-ish as well.
- Expy: Ex-vocalist Sadew was one of In Flames' Anders Friden; both in terms of appearance and vocal timbre. He even grew long, thick dreadlocks and a Badass Beard during one of the band's most Visual phases.
- Follow the Leader: They formed in 2000, which was the time when Visual Kei bands were enjoying renewed success, and were only starting to gain attention in 2002, when In Flames released Reroute to Remain. They have cited In Flames, HIM, X Japan and Luna Sea as major influences.
- Genre-Busting/Genre Roulette: Scroll back up and see the genres that influenced the band's musical style. Song to song, they can differ between any combination of these genres.
- Genre Shift: To "Hybrid Metal Trance" from Idolator onwards
- Gratuitous English: Early releases suffered from this and Word Salad Lyrics. Their English has gotten noticeably better from Idolator onwards.
- Iconic Logo: The logo from Idolator, which has appeared in all their subsequent releases.
- Incredibly Long Note: Kiki has become rather well-known for her long, wailing screams.
- Lead Bassist: Ryo, a type B and C, is among the most well-known members of the band, being one of the founding members and one half of the Vocal Tag Team (the other half being Sophia from 2010-2012 and more recently, Kiki).
- Lolita Fashion: Lead guitarist Ryu is an Elegant Gothic Lolita while ex-vocalist Sophia is a Shiro/Sweet Lolita. Both are well-known in the Lolita fashion scene as dress models.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Ryo and Ryu.
- Melodic Death Metal: The pioneers of this musical style in Visual Kei.
- Metal Scream: Ryo and Kiki are Type 3 screamers.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: They come in at a solid 9 all throughout their discography. Occasionally, they can dip down to as low as 2 and even go up to 10. Hell, even their purely Electronic Music compositions are as hard and abrasive as their standard metal fare.
- Mohs Scale of Lyrical Hardness: Around 8 or 9 for their early releases, but they have since gravitated towards the 2-4 range since Idolator
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: They describe themselves as playing "hybrid metal trance". They also draw inspiration from Industrial Metal and the harder, more abrasive end of Melodic Death Metal. They even went as far as having Ettore Rigotti of Disarmonia Mundi (an Italian melodeath/industrial metal band) produce Epsilon, just because they were aiming for a very specific sound.
- New Sound Album: Idolator, with its trance and J-pop elements. Epsilon reintroduced the Melodic Death Metal stylings of the older albums but also included Industrial Metal influences a la The Gazette and elements of Thrash Metal courtesy of Gami from the now-defunct Visual Kei Death Metal band Youthquake.
- Otaku: Some of the band members are involved in rather...interesting activities other than music.
- Piss-Take Rap: Sadew frequently does this in some songs from Mozaiq.
- Rearrange the Song: The band is notable for including rearranged versions of songs from limited-release singles in their full-length albums.
- Signature Style: Melodic power riffing typical of Melodic Death Metal combined with the poppy synths of J-pop and trance-inspired buildups, together with a stew of elements from different styles of electronic dance music.
- Soprano and Gravel: During the Sadew era, the band used samples of female voice tracks for cleans while Sadew does the screams. The Sophia era has Ryo providing screams. Now its Kiki on cleans and Ryo on screams.
- Start My Own: Sophia announced a new music project, called Season of Ghost.
- Token White: Sophia is actually Greek.
- Visual Kei: The band has not explicitly stated themselves as such, but they have performed alongside established Visual bands and have showcased Visual attire ever since the start of their career. The band's former members have also had careers as musicians in the scene.
- Vocal Evolution: In the band's early days, Ryo was nothing short of a Dreadful Musician, but by the time Epsilon was released, he had developed a screaming capacity rivaling Kiyoharu of Kuroyume, Kyo of Dir en grey or even Maria Cross or Dave "V.I.T.R.I.O.L." Hunt in terms of harshness.
- Vocal Tag Team: Sadew and Ryo, then Ryo and Sophia and currently, Ryo and Kiki.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Ryu is just one in a list of highly convincing crossdressers in Visual Kei, alongside Hizaki of Versailles, Shinya of Dir en grey, Mana of Malice Mizer, Bou ex-An Cafe and early Yoshiki Hayashi of X.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: The "e" in Epsilon is rendered as "ε".
- X Meets Y: In Flames meets Electronic Music and J-pop.