Bitter Ruin is an acoustic dark cabaret/dark flamenco band formed by the classically trained Georgia Train and Ben Richards who met in Brighton in music school.
This band shows examples of:
- Audience Participation : For The Dancing Dolls Of Porcelain. "Are we or are we not in a rowdy bar?"
- Big Name Fan: Stephen Fry and Tim Minchin.
- Cute Glasses Boy: Ben.
- Defiled Forever: There are elements of this in their song Soldier, especially lines like "I'm desperately used, no good to anyone else"
- Destructive Romance: In The Vice, Trust, Chewing Gum and more.
- Happiness in Slavery: Also in Soldier, the narrator declares that they don't actually want to be free of the subject.
- Love Nostalgia Song: Beware.
- The Masochism Tango: Many of their songs mention a relationship of this sort, especially Trust, which is sung as a straight up duet.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: To list the genres cited on their website: "Noir, Indie, Rock, Punk, Cabaret, Folk, Soul, Musical Theatre, Flamenco, Classical [...]."
- Never My Fault:
- Georgia's character. From Trust: "How do you expect me to tell the truth ?"
- From I'm Going To Be A Murderer: "And I wasn't tested, cause I've learned no lesson, I admit it so I am clearly innocent."
- Pimped-Out Dress: Georgia sure likes her dresses blue, sleeveless, and sparkly.
- Sanity Slippage Song: Deficiency Of You.
- Spoiled Brat: Georgia's character. From I'm Going To Be A Murderer: "I'm a greedy girl who gorges on the grasping of a grudge." and "I'm a stubborn stuck up petty gal". All Take and No Give is also a recurring theme in the songs.
- Wanderlust Song: Roaming Soul. This one is quite a departure from Bitter Ruin's usual style and is sung almost entirely by Ben.