Balligomingo is an Ambient
music group formed by producer/arranger/programmer Garret Schwarz and programmer/guitarist Vic Levak in the late nineties
. Their first album, Beneath The Surface
, was released in 2002 and featured a rotating stable of seven female vocalists (including Delerium's Kristy Thirsk, possibly explaining why they are often compared to Delerium). Only one of those vocalists, Jody Quine, was brought back for the 2009 follow-up, Under An Endless Sky
The group is known for their rather atmospheric, borderline-New Age
music, with lush synthesizer soundscapes, melodic, often sensual
female vocals, and beautiful acoustic guitar work from Levak. They also occasionally include string arrangements in their songs.
This band provides examples of the following tropes:
- Aroused By Their Voice: As touched on briefly in the second paragraph above, the singers — Always Female — tend to deliver lyrics in a low, sensual, sometimes breathy tone. On "Heat", Kristy Thirsk actually sounds like she's moaning a few times.
- Ascended Extra: Jody Quine, who is now a full-time band member rather than a rotating guest vocalist.
- Development Hell: Their second CD suffered delay after delay after delay before finally being released through their website in 2009.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: In "Heat", Kristy Thirsk moans "Your salt corrodes my vault". Considering that semen is often described as tasting salty, it could be possible that she's politely saying "Your cum is so hot it burns my pussy". There are certainly other parts of the song that suggest it's probably about sex, though you do have to read between the lines a bit.
- Intercourse with You: "Heat", and also possibly "Lust".
- Narm: It might not have been the best idea to turn the Arousing Up to Eleven on "Heat". Then again, maybe it was a good idea.
- Non-Appearing Title: "Purify", "Privilege", "Marooned" and "Lust".
- Stargate City: Both Kristy Thirsk and Jody Quine are from Vancouver.