Arch Enemy are a Swedish band whose primary genre is melodic death metal. Originally founded in 1996 as a supergroup by guitarist Michael Amott and vocalist Johan Liiva, the band released three albums; Black Earth
and Burning Bridges
In 2000, Liiva was asked to leave the band. His replacement turned out to be Angela Gossow, a German singer with a major case of Singing Voice Dissonance
. Her first album with the band, 2001's Wages of Sin
, was the band's breakthrough album. In March 2014, Angela Gossow announced her departure and welcomed Alissa White-Gluz of The Agonist
as her replacement.
Is in need of Wiki Magic
.YMMV page here.
- Black Earth (1996)
- Stigmata (1998)
- Burning Bridges (1999)
- Wages of Sin (2001)
- Anthems of Rebellion (2003)
- Doomsday Machine (2005)
- Rise of the Tyrant (2007)
- The Root of All Evil (2009)
- Khaos Legions (2011)
- War Eternal (2014)
Current and past band membersCurrent Line-up
Former band members
- Michael Amott − lead and rhythm guitar (1996-present), keyboards (2005, 2007), bass guitar (1996)
- Daniel Erlandsson − drums (1996, 1998-present)
- Sharlee D'Angelo − bass guitar (1999-present)
- Nick Cordle − lead and rhythm guitar (2012-present)
- Alissa White-Gluz: lead vocals (2014-present)
- Peter Wildoer − drums (1997)
- Martin Bengtsson − bass guitar (1997−1998)
- Johan Liiva − lead vocals (1996-2000), bass guitar (1996)
- Fredrik Ĺkesson − lead and rhythm guitar (2005-2007)
- Christopher Amott − lead and rhythm guitar (1996-2005, 2007-2012)
- Angela Gossow − lead vocals (2000-2014)
Arch Enemy and their music contain the following tropes:
- Band of Relatives: Subverted twice with Michael's brother, Christopher.
- Bare Your Midriff: Angela, every so often.
- Cover Version: "Aces High" and "The Idles of March" by Iron Maiden, "Starbreaker" by Judas Priest, "The Oath" by Kiss, "Warning" by Discharge, "The Book of Heavy Metal" by Dream Evil, "The Zoo" by Scorpions and "Scream of Anger" by Europe
- Death Metal
- Epic Rocking:
- "Dark of the Sun" and "Bridge of Destiny" off "Stigmata" are around the 7 minute area
- "Fields of Desolation '99" is 6 minutes long, off of Wages of Sin.
- From Doomsday Machine, "Mechanic God Creation", also 6 minutes long.
- As is "Vultures" from Rise of the Tyrants.
- Genki Girl: Angela was pretty hyper on stage and even in interviews.
- Harsh Vocals: Johan, Angela and Alissa utilized this while singing.
- Hidden in Plain Sight: Their logo is striking and often front and center, but occaisonally they'll do a better job of hiding it, like on the cover of ''War Eternal''◊ or ''Dead Eyes See No Future''◊
- I Am the Band: Michael Amott
- Iconic Logo: Their circle with spikes has been on almost every album cover they've had since ''Stigmata'' certainly qualifies.◊
- La Résistance: The central theme of their lyrics post Wages of Sin.
- Metal Scream: They are a Death Metal band, so this is gonna happen.
- Ms. Fanservice: It was usually Subverted with Angela as she likes to dress in pants and long-sleeve-shirts, but every so often she'd wear something revealing.
- Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness: A solid 9.
- My Death Is Just the Beginning: "I Will Live Again" from Rise of the Tyrant.
- The Revolution Will Not Be Civilized: On their more sinister tracks. Much of the Khaos Legions album deals with this in some way.
- Sibling Team: The Amott bros before Chris left.
- Singing Voice Dissonance: You can be forgiven for thinking Angela's singing voice is male in nature. Her speaking, although deep, is not male in any form.
- Also applies to Alissa, thought it's a tad more obvious this time around.
- Start My Own: Johan founded Hearse a year after he left.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: A surprising amount of their songs are this, typically to inspire listeners to not back down to authority.