Apocalyptica is a metal band from Helsinki, Finland formed in 1993. Originally formed as a Metallica
tribute band, they recorded their first album, Plays Metallica By Four Cellos
. The title is not a joke
. For their first three albums (their second being a tribute album to other heavy metal bands such as Pantera
, the third an album of original songs,) their line-up consisted of four cellists. They then played at a festival of which Slayer
was headlining. Dave Lombardo, a fan of the string quartet, asked them if they knew any Slayer and, upon finding that they do know how to play Slayer, asked them to join him for a short set, telling them to give him a call if they ever needed a drummer. When one of the members quit in 2002, they called up Lombardo for their fourth album, Reflections,
though he did not remain as their main drummer, he contributed to their next two albums before officially leaving in 2007. Lombardo is not the only member of another band they have worked with and have collaborated with various vocalists, most notably Rammstein
's Till Lindemann, HIM's Ville Valo, The Rasmus
's Lauri Ylönen and Stone Sour/Slipknot's Corey Taylor. They were also featured on melodic death metal band Amon Amarth
's album Twilight of the Thunder God
for the song "Live for the Kill" and have played sets with Rammstein and Kivilaakso appeared on four tracks from Sonata Arctica
's latest album The Days Of Grays
- Eicca Topinen: Cello (1993-present)
- Paavo Lötjönen: Cello (1993-present)
- Pertu Kivilaakso: Cello (1993, 1999-present)
- Mikko Sirén Drums (2003-present, their official touring drummer)
- Max Lilja: Cello (1993-2002)
- Dave Lombardo: Drums (2003-2007, the first drummer they officially played with)
- Sami Kuoppamäki: Drums
- Antero Manninen: Cello (1993-1999, 2002-spring 2009)
- Toryn Green: Touring Vocals (2008-present)
- Tony Kakko: Guest Vocals (2008 in Finland and Japan)
- Johnny Andrews: Touring Vocals (Spring 2008)
- Adam Gontier: Vocals (2008 in New York)
- Cristina Scabbia: Vocals (2008 at Download Festival)
- Tipe Johnson: Touring Vocals (2009 in East-Europe)
- Adam Gontier (Three Days Grace) on "I Don't Care"
- Corey Taylor (Slipknot, Stone Sour) on "I'm Not Jesus"
- Cristina Scabbia (Lacuna Coil) on "SOS (Anything But Love)"
- Emmanuelle Monet (Dolly) on "En Vie"
- Lauri Ylönen (The Rasmus) on "Life Burns!" and "Bittersweet"
- Linda Sundblad (Lambretta) on "Faraway Vol. 2"
- Marta Jandova (Die Happy) on "Wie Weit"
- Mats Leven (Therion, Krux) on backing vocals on "SOS" and "I Don't Care"
- Matt Tuck (Bullet for My Valentine) on "Repressed"
- Matthias Sayer (Farmer Boys) on "Hope Vol. 2"
- Max Cavalera (Ex-Sepultura, Soulfly, Cavalera Conspiracy, Nailbomb) on "Repressed"
- Nina Hagen on "Seemann"
- Sandra Nasic (Guano Apes) on "Path Vol. 2"
- Till Lindemann (Rammstein) on "Helden"
- Ville Valo (HIM) on "Bittersweet"
- Gavin Rossdale (Bush) on "End of Me"
- Brent Smith (Shinedown) on "Not Strong Enough"
- Doug Robb (Hoobastank) on the alternate, American single version of "Not Strong Enough"
- Lacey Sturm (Flyleaf) on "Broken Pieces"
- Joe Duplantier (Gojira) on "Bring Them to Light"