Angela Maria ďAniĒ Difranco was born on September 23rd, 1970 from parents with Italian and Jewish-American backgrounds. Both her father, Dante, and her mother, Elisabeth, were folk musicians. She grew up in Buffalo, N.Y. and played her first gigs at the age of nine, playing in local bars in her hometown. She moved to New York City at 16 and in 1988 she made a demo which has become a highly sought-after fan item. She is now a prolific artist.
Aniís lyrics focus, amongst other topics, on war, GLBT issues, sexual assault, the music industry and, recently, the joy of motherhood.
- Beauty Is Bad : "God help you if you are an ugly girl, of course too pretty is also your doom, 'cause everyone harbours a secret hatred for the prettiest girl in the room."
- Bi the Way
- Distressed Damsel: Averted in "Not a Pretty Girl". Also an inversion of the "I Am" song ("I am not a pretty girl, that is not what I do. I ain't no damsel in distress, I don't need to be rescued...")
- Folk Music : With a percussive and decidedly funky feel.
- Granola Girl
- Hot Mom
- Lonely Piano Piece : While it has lyrics, "You Had Time" is a slow and mournful break up song, used to its full effect in the film Lost And Delirious.
- No Hit Wonder : Despite her popularity with fans and critics, Ani has had a distinct lack of commercial airplay over the years. Instead, her fanbase seems to have come from college radio, live performances, and word of mouth.
- Precision F-Strike: "Fuck you and your untouchable face. Fuck you, for existing in the first place."
- Rock Star Song : Subverted in a few songs, where she deconstructs the record industry.
- Singer Songwriter
- Soapbox Sadie
- Unrequited Love: "Untouchable Face", "Unrequited"