"A 60-year-old woman. She did things she never expected to do...Do you wanna hear how, in the evening, she said she would do anything as she begged for her life? Or how, in the morning, she begged me to take her out of her misery? Which do you think I enjoyed more?"Although Law & Order features countless killers (and non-killers) who committed heinous crimes without remorse, many of them have a typical motive such as Greed and Envy, or sometimes even a good Freudian Excuse or even sympathize with. Some however, have the (dis)honor to be called a monster.
—William Lewis, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, "Her Negotiation"; after telling Detctives Benson and Amaro in graphic detail what he did to one of his victims (including putting out cigarettes on her)
Law & Order
- Constantin Volsky, the Russian mob boss from season 9's two-part finale "Refuge," ordered an innocent man murdered and dismembered because he had a relative who wouldn't go along with a money-laundering scheme. When he finds out that the key eyewitness for the prosecution is a 6-year-old boy, he sends assassins to kill him. They kill his mother and an A.D.A. The boy lives, but only because they didn't cut deep enough into his throat. In the second part, he orders the bombing of the precinct where the police protagonists work, just for giggles.
- Mark Bruner from the season 14 premier "Bodies" raped and murdered no less than 17 teenage girls and kept most of their bodies rotting in an undisclosed location so he could go and admire them as they decayed. He terrified his original defense attorney so much that McCoy helped to get her reassigned, terrified Serena, visibly unnerved Briscoe, Green, and McCoy. What made him truly monstrous was his refusal to reveal the location of his dumping ground so that his victims might be identified, specifically to torture the parents so that they couldn't find closure, and to torture Jack with the knowledge that he couldn't give them that closure.
- Leon Vorgitch from season 17's "Deadlock" was in prison for killing five people. He then kills two guards and escape from prison. When the detectives come for him it results in even more deaths, including a classroom of children he had taken hostage (he mistook a truck backfiring for police shooting at him). When Detective Green asks Vorgitch why he killed the kids, he laughs and says "Why not?" In the end, he brags to Jack and Connie that he will escape again and kill both of them.
- Darryl Kern from season 2ís "Manhunt" is a serial rapist and serial killer who made a habit out of abducting, raping, torturing and killing women. He was a former soldier who was discharged because he believed soldiers liked killing. His journal states that he is planning to survive an upcoming radical war, and create a new generation from sex slaves, but later admits during questioning that he's simply having fun at the expense of the police. When his hideout is found, at least fifteen bodies are found buried in his yard alone. He also has his assistant, a mentally fragile man named Posey, help him kidnap a woman and her young daughter. Kern then kills Posey , and plans to kill his hostages but is arrested by Canadian police.
- Charlie Baker from season 4's "Dominance" has murdered eleven people in about a week, after forcing them to have sex with each other first or raping the victims himself. Then he kidnapped two women, killed their boyfriends, and kept them captive on a roof. He's also been raping his little brother and beating his alcoholic father all along.
- Eugene Hoff, alias Abraham Ophion, from season 6ís "Charisma," is the pedophilic leader of a Corrupt Church of his 100 followers, which included his pre-teen victims and their families. Hoff separates the married couples, because he said that they couldn't be soldiers of God if they were slaves to the flesh, and uses all the women and girls of his cult for sexual favors, fathering 1 living and 6 dead children with them. His earliest victim was a 4-year-old Jamie Buchman, who her father caught in the same room with a near-naked Hoff, causing his family to leave the church. Growing paranoid, Hoff began to prepare his followers for war, filling their heads with the idea of the U.S. Government coming to kill them. He was also a greedy man, killing John Cramer and lying to his wife for John's million-dollar bank account and only keeping his latest victim Melanie alive so he can claim her two-million-dollar trust fund after their baby is born. Hoff is ultimately a depraved individual who believes himself to be greater than God.
- Victor Paul Gitano from season 7's "Fault" was a sadistic pedophile that lures kids in, then rapes, tortures, and kills them. He doesn't discriminate by gender either. On top of that, when trying to hunt Gitano down, things don't quite go as planned. Not only does he kill one of the two kids he had with him in a subway station full of people by slashing his throat, he almost killed Benson the same way. Then, when they corner Gitano in a warehouse, he manages to get behind Stabler and hold him at gunpoint with a shotgun. Gitano, despite knowing he'd get caught or killed at this point, outright boasts that he killed the other child he had (who was a girl) and bragged that she was a "slut" and a "real little whore" before killing her, even though he never got the chance to molest her.
- Joseph Serumaga from season 10's "Hell" was a commander for the Lord's Resistance Army in Uganda and was responsible for thousands of deaths. During his time as commander in the LRA, he earned the name "The Devil of Gulu" after burning a village alive inside a church. He forced a young girl named Miriam to be his Sex Slave for years, often raping and beating her until she managed to escape. To escape being indicted for war crimes, Serumaga fled to the USA, posing as a refugee, and held down a job as a janitor. When he met with Miriam years later, he slit her throat and left her for dead to silence her. He later firebombed her father's car to prevent her from revealing his identity. When his true identity was revealed, Serumaga attempted to kill Detective Elliot Stabler before being detained and arrested.
- Bill Harris from season 12's "Behave" is responsible for nearly a dozen rapes. He developed a special interest in one of his victims, Vicki Sayers, and repeatedly tracked her down whenever she was on the verge of putting her life together.
- William Lewis from the season 14 finale and season 15 is a serial rapist and sadistic torturer. His MO is going from state to state, kidnapping, raping and torturing women for hours and even days on end under different aliases, regardless of age. When he was young he watched his babysitter get raped and killed in front of him; he describes it as the best day of his life. Eventually he kidnaps Detective Olivia Benson, forces her to watch as he kills the father and rapes the mother of his defense attorney. After killing a cop and taking Benson to a house to rape her, he takes a maid and young girl hostage. When Benson turns the tables on him, he deliberately tries to provoke her to kill him. During his trial, he makes Olivia relive the experience. After his escape, he kills another cop, rapes a nurse and kidnaps a young girl. When Benson confronts him, he takes her hostage again, but becomes turned off by his initial molestations, so he decides to force her into a game of Russian Roulette.