I'd say it's harder NOT to make a plot out of this.
In the Yu-Gi-Oh!
universe, there are many stories
that one could easily miss. Particularly since they are told by small images and few descriptions. note
Since they have no official name, let's just call them Yu-Gi-Oh! Metaplot note
One of the most outstanding things about these stories is that they are not completely fan made speculation
, but plenty of them are very easy to link if you pay attention. Perhaps one case of Show, Don't Tell
at it's finest.
While now they are less common, there was a time where many cards included easily linkable images, and thus stories could be crafted after them. Not always, but some Archetype can get some metaplots too. Also, some video games try to take this stories further, like "World Championship 2008"
having Giga Gagagigo (that fellow to your right) complaining about how he lost his soul.
Obviously, these cards are used as resource for fan fics writers
, trying to explain their stories or giving them new meanings.
Please refrain from adding single characters examples that could be summarized in one sentence, like "Inpachi gets burned, turns to charcoal, and gets made remade into a robot." We have a character page for those.
Also, only add examples which are CLEAR. Let's try to avoid speculation as much as possible.
Add links to the card which tells that part of the story, in case the troper wants to see it for itself
open/close all folders
Centuries ago, a mysterious shining stone was found. It was dubbed "The White Stone of Legend
" because all who saw it never forgot it. Eventually it hatched, revealing to be a dragon egg, and eventually the dragon acquired a rider
, becoming the Paladin of White Dragon
. It eventually grew up, becoming the Blue-Eyes White Dragon
. But, in the throes of his power, he killed his owner. In shame, he underwent a ritual to remove the evil from him, with it being personified as the Malefic Blue-Eyes White Dragon
. With the evil gone, he became the Blue-Eyes Toon Dragon
. However, the powerful Black Luster Soldier
used the Black Luster Ritual
to fuse them back together, the ritual being so powerful it created the Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon
. The Black Luster Soldier took him as its own, and together, they were called the "Dragon Master Knight
." Eventually, the Black Luster Soldier left the dragon when it grew old, and its death caused the original parent of The White Stone of Legend, the strongest of all the forms, the Blue-Eyes Shining Dragon
, to be reborn. Eventually, desiring to live out the rest of its days in peace, it transformed into a human, the Maiden with Eyes of Blue
; if she feels the need, however, she can create a new Blue-Eyes White Dragon, or bring one back from the dead, to protect her. At the end of her days, she ascends
, becoming the Azure-Eyes Silver Dragon
, a mighty creature with the power to raise the dead.
The Fool's Bizarre Adventure
There was once a boy. As he had no name, he was called "The Fool" among his fellow Prophecy Magicians because he didn't use a magic terminal like the rest of them. One day, Endymion led an attack on the Grand Spellbook Tower, as he thought it would become a threat when he tried to unify all magic. Most of the magicians sacrificed their lives, but "The Fool" picked up the Master Spellbook and turned into "The Reaper". Endymion and his forces were driven back, but "The Reaper" died as a result. "The Empress" and "The Hierophant" used the Spellbook of Judgement and the Spellbook of Miracles on "The Reaper" and the "The Reaper" was reborn as "The World"
- Big Bad: Endymion, the Master Magician
- Came Back Strong/Redemption Earns Life: Due to the huge damages inflicted on them by "Reaper of Prophecy", the enemy forces withdrew, but "Reaper" was on the verge of death due to the out-of-control magic he was using. "Hierophant" and "Empress", unwilling to stand aside any more, were determined to try and save his life by exorcising the Dark Magic inside him by amplifying the Light Magic that existed inside him all along. At the end of the intense conflict between Holy and Wicked magic, he ended up being revived in a miracle.
- The Corruption: The magic inside the "Spellbook of the Master" is powerful enough to overtake its user, even if they are gifted, which is why "The Fool" ended up consumed and corrupted by its power.
- The Fool: who became The Grim Reaper and later The World
- The Grim Reaper: "Reaper Of Prophecy"
- Magical Library: The Grand Spellbook Tower is an educational research facility that has produced many excellent sorcerers who specialize in a variety of fields from means of combat to technological developments. Its library has a great collection of many "Spellbooks" with knowledge collected throughout the ages. A small portion of these books are now available to the general Spellcaster public.
- Photographic Memory: The "Spellbook Libraries" are full of the knowledge of Light and Darkness respectively, using magical energy itself as a medium to record information. As the manager of both these "Spellbook Libraries", "Spellbook Magician of Prophecy" has stored all of their knowledge within his own brain. Because of this, he is able to manifest "Spellbook" data into physical form by himself.
- Tarot Motifs: All the "Prophecy" monsters and some of the Spellbooks (The Grand Spellbook Tower, Spellbook Star Hall, Spellbook Library of the Crescent, Spellbook Library of the Heliosphere and Spellbook of Judgment) are based on the Major Arcana.
- Unstoppable Rage: "The Reaper" attacked anyone he saw on the battlefield, even his own allies.
His story started out in his younger days, as Gigobyte
serving Eria the Water Charmer
as her familiar. During this time, he fought alongside her, the other elemental charmers and their familiars. He grows up into Jigobyte
via Triangle Power
, and when Eria sacrifices her soul before being revived by the Ribbon of Rebirth
, Jigobyte possesses her
, as did the other charmers and familiars.
At some point he leaves her and Jigobyte/Gagagigo sets off on his path to darkness
. He eventually comes upon a warrior of light, Freed the Brave Wanderer
. They both engage in a battle that results in Gagagigo getting dragged into the other dimension through a Dimensional Prison
that Freed creates. After being sent through Freed's Dimensional Fissure
, Gagagigo finds himself trapped in another dimension (possibly Pandemonium or the Dark World). Forced to wander the area for some time, Gagagigo stumbles across what seems to be a bone yard
. Trouble soon ensues and he almost gets sacrificed on the Archfiends' Altar for Tribute
Luckily, he is rescued by the Marauding Captain
and his soldiers. However, before they can escape, they are attacked by an Inpachi
who was defeated by the Marauding Captain. It soon came back empowered by the fiends to become Blazing Inpachi
. They battle it
and it is eventually defeated by Chopman
in a desperate attempt to escape his Archfiend captors, leaving Inpachi as charcoal
. During the battle, the Marauding Captain saves Gagagigo by taking a direct hit from a blast
launched by Blazing Inpachi. This act deeply moves Gagagigo, bringing about a catharsis that inspires him to help his new-found friend. He then joins Marauding Captain in a war against the Invader of Darkness
During one battle, Gagagigo deflects a blast from the Invader of Darkness that is aimed at one of Marauding Captain's men, saving the man in the same fashion the Marauding Captain saved him with, and proving his redemption. Some time after the battle, a weakened Gagagigo gains aid from Kozaky
in the hope of gaining the necessary power to defeat the Invader of Darkness. With the help of Kozaky, Gagagigo has his body reconstructed
to become Giga Gagagigo
However, it turns out that Kozaky was working with the Archfiends to repair their Inpachis and the archfiend cybernetics that are fitted onto him prove to corrupt his mind, reverting him back to his evil self. Kozaky then launches Giga Gagagigo with his Compulsory Evacuation Device
into a Monster Gate
in the sky and returns him to his native dimension. As he is mindlessly wandering the dimension in search of opponents, Giga Gagagigo comes across a Venom Cobra
and battles it to test his strength.
Afterward, Giga Gagagigo stumbles across Freed again and attempts to finish him off by launching an attack . However, Freed proves to be the stronger warrior and deflects Giga Gagagigo's attack. Giga Gagagigo gets his attack redirected back at him and is soon defeated. Obsessed to continue gaining strength to defeat his rivals, Giga Gagagigo continues his rampage, transforms into Gogiga Gagagigo
, and truly loses his soul to his undying craving for power. Yet again, he engages Freed in a battle, but this time he was able to outpower him. When he was about to give him a finishing blow, the Marauding Captain appears to protect Freed. Instead of following his corrupted instincts, Gogigo Gagagigo understands Marauding Captain's actions, and gives up on his quest for power, thus finally becoming the strong warrior of justice he once sought to be, Gagagigo the Risen
This story provides examples of:
- Big Bad: the Invader of Darkness
- Cybernetics Eat Your Soul
- Downer Ending: At first, but then came Gagagigo the Risen.
- From Nobody to Nightmare
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: Gigobyte starts out good, then turns evil once each at the Gagagigo and (Go)Giga Gagagigo stages. However, only the first turn to evil was of a conscious choice. After fighting with his old enemy, Freed the Brave Wanderer, he is purified by the Marauding Captain, becoming the Awakened Brave Warrior - Gagagigo.
- He Who Fights Monsters: Much of Gagagigo's journey was to defeat the Invader of Darkness. In a bit of tragic irony, one of the Gagagigo forms who could actually beat IOD in a fight is Gogiga Gagagigo.
- Hero of Another Story: The main story is about Gagagigo, but his other allies, especially Freed and the Marauding Captain, have rather lengthy adventures of their own.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Gagagigo, namely regarding Kozaky.
- Obviously Evil: Kozaky. At least his horns were reduced outside of Japan.
- Tragic Hero
The Tyrant and the Revolution
This story starts at the end of "The Emperor's New Clothes
" (The Emperor's Holiday). After realizing that he was lied to by his soldiers, he blamed his soldiers for the said lie, (Tyrant's Temper, Tyrant's Tirade). He then vented his temper out on the goblin attack force, (Tyrant's Tantrum). After doing so, he tried to forget his troubles by eating,(Tyrant's Tummyache). This did not seem to work, he had a violent tantrum after eating, with his soldiers trying to calm him down (Tyrant's Throes).
The lie to the emperor and his own actions apparently made him forget about the Huge Revolution (Huge Revolution)
, which had gained power to the point that the emperor's soldiers make the emperor go out and stop the rebellion (Double Payback). The emperor then stopped the rebelling people by having his army surround them and declare that their movement is at an end (The Huge Revolution is Over).
After that, he tried to relax down from all of his troubles (Asleep at the Switch). In doing so, he let his guard down on the entire castle, and allowed the rebelling people to destroy the castle and reclaim their freedom. The emperor was then removed from his position (Turnabout). Afterward, he is scorned by his former subjects (Retort).
This story provides examples of:
Warrior Lady of the Wasteland and Dai Grepher's Rivalry
Once, there were two warriors. One was Warrior Lady of the Wasteland and one was Warrior Dai Grepher. They met each other and got into a fight, which resulted in them being catapulted into different dimensions. Dai Grepher ended up at the Paths of Destiny and Warrior Lady ended up in the Different Dimension, becoming DD Warrior Lady in the process. Dai Grepher picked the Path of Light and became Ryu Senshi. However, he lost that form when he was beaten by Guardian Baou. He beat Baou and took his sword, the Wicked Breaking Flamberge. Unfortunately, the sword corrupted Dai Grepher and Dai Grepher became Dark Lucius Lvl. 4. A while later, DD Warrior Lady and Dark Lucius ran into each other and fought again. The result was DD Warrior Lady sending Dark Lucius into another dimension. As time went by, Dark Lucius became even more demonic. Eventually, Dai Grepher was freed from the influence of the sword, and decided to travel the lands as a force for justice, becoming Lightray Grepher.
This story provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Take a wild guess.
- Came Back Strong: D.D. Warrior Lady is much more useful.
- Cowboy: The Warrior Lady of the Wasteland. She seems to lost her hat when first sucked into the DD, and sheds the attire all together to the futuristic wardrobe all the DD residents prefer.
- Dimensional Traveler: The Warrior Lady and friends.
- Hero of Another Story: They both are this to each other, with the Warrior Lady befriends her fellow residents of the DD and leading those bunch of misfits into a dimension-hopping vigilantes troupe; while Dai Grepher at first is commander of an annihilated army, stranded in a branching paths that either way has him twisted into evil warrior (Dark Lucius on the left and Dark Grepher on the right), and finally trapped in Warrior Lady's tailor-made dimension, growing even more evil than ever.
- Obviously Evil: The sword is purple, glowing, and belongs to a demon. Then there's the name. Not the kind of thing one would want to pick up.
- Rival Turned Evil: Forced unto Dai Grepher as a result of wielding Wicked Breaking Flamberge
The Goblin of Greed
There was once an Upstart Goblin. He was so rich that people prostrated in front of him for his money. When the Duel Monster World stock market crashed, he did some odd jobs, but that failed too. As a result, he decided that he will steal the Jar Of Greed and the Pot Of Greed. He was caught and was forced into servitude. The Dark Scorpions robbed the slaveowners' place. The Goblin went after them but failed. The slaveowner fired the Goblin and the Goblin had to pay for the broken jar and pot. Eventually, he worked in a Mokey-Mokey factory, but he found out that there were more pots of greed to steal over there.
This story provides examples of:
Hidden Arsenal Storyline
In an unnamed world, there were many tribes constantly at war that always ended in stalemates. However, their never-ending war was interrupted by invaders from space called Worms. The tribes united against the worms and the four most influential tribes, X-Sabers, Mist Valley, Flamvell and Ice Barrier, created the Allies of Justice to fight against the Worms. Despite their best efforts, the Worms simply seemed to be unstoppable. They rampaged across the world and even forced the peaceful Naturia tribe to fight. Due to the chaos caused by the war, ancient gods who were sealed in the earth called the Fabled were awakened. They did not fight against the worms, but instead began to use the situation to their advantage by slaying soldiers who had just seized a victory against the worms. Eventually, the Worms fronted their final attack against the world with Worm Zero. However, the combined might of the tribes prevailed against the horrible monster.
Their victory would not last, as the Fabled began their conquest almost immediately after the end of the Worms. The tribes were drained of their resources from fighting the Worms and knew that they would not last another onslaught. To end the fighting once and for all, the Ice Barrier tribe decided to unleash the ancient dragon known as Trishula to fight the Fabled. But they underestimated the dragon's power, and he destroyed the world.
Thousands of years later after the fall of the old tribes four new ones rose to power. They were the Laval, who were constantly at war with the Gem Knights, and the Gishki who were constantly at war with the Gusto. In the middle of a battle between the Laval and the Gem Knights, the Vylons, the gods of this world, descended to put a stop to the violence their world had suffered. Shortly after, a legion of demons known as the Steelswarm who had be trapped in the abyss for countless millenniums returned forcing the tribes into an alliance under the Vylons to banish the Steelswarm once and for all.
The Steelswarm were beat back. The Vylon tried to create a world of silence, but that failed. The Evilswarm came in and Gishki Noelia became one of them. She sacrificed the Laval to revive Steelswarm Hercules as Evigishki Zealgigas and revived the dragons of the Ice Barrier. The Sacred Knights showed up, yet they nearly were beaten. the Gem Knights showed up and merged into Gem Knight Master Dia. The Constellar were inspired by this and merged into Constellar Ptolemys Messier 7. They save the last of the Gusto and the Gusto pray for Sophia to show up. She does and prepares to wipe out all life on the planet before a final stand defeats her.
This story provides examples of:
In Feudal Japan, a great war was ensuing. From that war, a young warlord named Shien and his soldiers won battle after battle. When the dust settled, Shien stood on top, and was poised to become even stronger. As his power grew, he made many enemies, who hired the Ninjas to try and eliminate him. But from his spy, Shien caught wind of the plan, and asked his advisor for help. He used Kagemusha to try and create an impostor of himself while enlisting the help of his soldiers. Days later, Shien's enemies, along with the White Ninja and the Vengeful Shinobi came and attacked the Temple of the Six. Vengeful Shinobi took care of Shien's troops. The invading army pushed all the way up to the entrance. There, they fought the Samurai waiting for them. The Samurai fought valiantly, but in the resulting battle, Shinai was killed. The White Ninja made it through the gates, and found the impostor Shien, and killed him. The alarm was sounded, and Zanji and Irou attacked and defeated the Ninjas. The Samurai celebrated their victory. However, this was to be short lived. Shien was starting to become stronger and more corrupt. He used force to keep his people from rebelling. Kizan was starting to worry, and attempted to overthrow Shien. He attempted to kill Shien, but was stopped by Enishi and wounded. Shien banished Kizan, who spent many years in hiding, waiting. Enishi eventually became chancellor to Shien, Kageki became Shien's Chamberlain, and Mizuho, mourning her husband's death became the Hand of the Six Samurai, but her husband lived on. Many years passed and Shien grew old and weak. Kizan chose this moment to overthrow Shien. He killed Enishi and Shien. Shien's former adviser later came to Kizan and taught him how to seal Shien's soul in a scroll using an old medallion. Kizan could now unleash the power of Shien on all who opposed him.
- Animated Armor: Shinai's final fate.
- Body Double: Kagemusha
- The Magnificent Seven Samurai
- Oda Nobunaga: Shien
- Protagonist Journey to Villain: Shien
- Retired Badass: Many of the Legendary Samurai are a form of other members of the Six: for example. Enishi, Shien's Chancellor has battle armor in the background of his image. That battle armor is what is worn by The Legendary Six Samurai - Enishi. It can be assumed that Shien and Shi En are the same obviously, but The Legendary Six Samurai - Kizan is closely related to the Grandmaster of the Six Samurai, and so forth.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Shien's soul is contained within a medallion and can be brought out under Kizan's command.
- Sigil Spam: Most card artworks featuring the Six Samurai and their supporting cards contain a heraldic crest/coat of arms(紋章 - monshō or 家紋 - kamon) representing the Six Samurai. The crest is composed of a bolded outer-circle and an inner-circle. The inner-circle contains six smaller dotted circles which are connected to each other (in a specific path) and 6 other irregular shapes that are likely to represent the initial Six Samurai. To date, the only Six Samurai related cards that do not feature the Six Samurai crest are "Great Shogun Shien", "Tenkabito Shien", "Shien's Footsoldier", "Shien's Daredevil and "Shien's Castle of Mist". However, it appears that if you look at the art in some of the Shien cards that Shien and elder have an alternate symbol between them, as evident in "Tenkabito Shien", "Shien's Advisor", "Elder of the Six Samurai", and even "Shien's Smoke Signal"
Warrior of Zera
There was once a great and powerful warrior, famous for his awesome strength and his unshaken determination. He had vast potential and was destined for grand things, good or evil. But this mighty warrior had one serious weakness; one that was meant to be destructive for his future life. His heart was easily tempted by the forces of darkness, and when that used to happen he was becoming savage and dangerous. Afraid of his evil side and not wanting to cause any trouble to his people, he abandoned his birthplace, the land of Zera, and vowed never to return unless he mastered his own power.
He left on a quest to find the legendary land where the Archlords used to live. He hoped that those divine beings could shield him from the temptation of the wicked fiends and also teach him how to use his power safely. After an exhausting travel he eventually found the place he was seeking. Those who ruled the afore mentioned holy land eagerly accepted him, realizing his great potential. Soon he was granted new powers and was beginning to become powerful and respected in his new home.
Apparently he succeeded in his newly acquired duties and soon he was offered the inconceivable power of the heavens; he truly reached perfection and thus he, a stranger, became the ruler of the sanctuary. However, despite his new status still he wasn’t able to fight off his inner demons. He desperately tried to resist but the temptation of the evil fiends was just too strong… He gave in completely. The Archfiends corrupted him to such degree that he was possessed by such a desire for destruction that he was turned against his own kingdom. Its residents tried their best to defend it, but our hero’s newly acquired power was far too strong and irresistible.
Alone now, standing in the center of the wrecked scene, he gazed at his new self. His body was largely changed, struggling to support his new powers. His feather wings which used to represent his virtue were turned into red bat wings. His divine sword, with which he was fighting evil, was now a menacing looking weapon of destruction, still soaked into the blood of his former friends. He screamed with an ominous screech, thinking about what he lost. But he couldn’t change the facts. He was from now on a dark angel.
Soon, he realized that he couldn’t stay there for long. The ruined sanctuary was emanating a weird aura that was somehow affecting him. Besides, it was only a matter of time before the other Archlords were informed for the destruction. He had already killed those who stayed in the sanctuary but there were many more scattered in the four corners of the world. He felt weak…he knew he wasn’t in a condition to fight.
Desperate to find a place where he could hide but also build his new life, he once again made the terrible mistake to accept help from the Archfiends. He was taken at their lair; an underground place full of dust, ashes and fire. While the sanctuary he used to live could be considered the doorway to heavens this place could only be leading to Hell. But he was forced to stay. He knew that Hell itself was the only place in the world at which the Archlords wouldn't look for him.
He was however a fool to believe that the demons wanted to help him. The fallen angel was imprisoned and through some unknown means the devils managed to subjugate him. Before long, Zerato took a new form; he was no longer an angel. He was turned into a disgusting and diabolical fiend. Everything was lost; there wasn't a way to turn back. He could only go lower and lower; and that's precisely what he did. Driven by his hatred for his former peers and his lust for more power he decided to undergo the final evolution.
For that to succeed he needed to somehow return to his original form. Through some kind of evil ritual that was accomplished. During the same ritual he offered both his body and soul to gain the ultimate power. His offerings were accepted and he was given what he desired. He became pure evil, one of the most powerful shadow creatures that ever walked the Earth. He no longer resembles his older self...
This story provides examples of: