Meaningful Name: Fan Works
Original characters in fan works are not unknown for having names that describe their place
in the story.
- The Animaniacs fan series Zany to the Max introduces Pakko and Jot. Pakko, like his cousin Wakko, likes to eat a lot, which makes sense since his name is somewhat of a Shout-Out to PacMan. Jot is the fastest of the Warners, and she's known for being somewhere in a jot.
- There's also Illogica Safe, who's an Illogical Safe.
- The Siamese Quadruplets, the collective name for Kat the Cat and her three sisters (whose names are Kate, Katie, and Jessica). They're Siamese cats, and their Backstory reveals they used to be conjoined before their first appearance, making them former conjoined quadruplets (in other words, Siamese quadruplets!).
Buzz Lightyear of Star Command
- Ichigo's Inner Hollow is given the name "Hakuran" meaning White Storm due to his color palette and turbluent nature in Sight.
- Zomega, a Major Kusanagi Expy in For Good, is one of the few members of her species left — Z is the last letter of the Roman alphabet, and Omega the last letter of the Greek alphabet.
- In Slightly Damned: Wind of Redemption and Rebirth, some Rebirths have "Titles" that are usually this. Most notable being Umi Soyokaze's title: Angel of the Sea, considering she's easily the kindest, gentlest, and most caring Rebirth, with powers to control water
- In Harry Potter And The Power Of The Dark Side Harry's Sith name is Darth Veneficus, meaning "a sorcerer or a poisoner."
- Looming Darkness's only Original Character is named Ciara. As the author/ess point out later, the name was chosen because it meant 'Dark'. Guess who was abused as a child?
- Ace Swift from Turnabout Storm, a pegasus that has won every single athetic event he's ever competed in. Really fitting too, considering that both series involved in the crossover are crammed with characters with meaningful names.
- In The Bridge, although no fan creations make up the main cast, the Fan Nick Name of Xenilla, an amalgam Xeno (alien) and Godzilla, is used in place of the official name Spacegodzilla for an extraterrestrial clone of the scaly goliath.
- In the fic Protectors, a crossover of Megamind and Rise of the Guardians, Megamind's real name is Teal. The name means green and blue; Megamind has blue skin and green eyes.
- In Opening Dangerous Gates, Xiphias Gladius means "Sword Fish" in Latin. He's a Fish People-type demon and a swordsman who even wields a sword that looks like a swordfish.
- In A Cure for Love there's Astraea, which is named for the Greek Goddess of Justice. Also, quite possibly V-she has a Vendetta.
- In Kira Is Justice, Justin's real name is Justice. He just happens to be the New Kira.
- In Welcome To The Family Original Character Dr. Caduceus, a slightly amoral Bunny-Ears Lawyer and the attending physician at Wammy’s House, is named for staff of Hermes in Greek Mythology which is a symbol of shepherds, commerce, merchants, gamblers, liars, and thieves that is frequently mistaken for the staff of medicine in modern iconography.
- Many in The Tainted Grimoire.
- Cheney's middle name, Difronte, is Italian for opposite, since his two jobs virtually contrast the other in function and purpose. The actual Italian term for opposite is 'di fronte', but the two separate words was combined into one to create the name.
- Kanin's middle name, Leporidae, comes from the Classification Family for Rabbits. She's a Feol Viera.
- And "kanin" is Swedish (among others) for "rabbit".
- Crockett, his name is derived from the crook of a shepherd's cane. His ability to control and herd Baknamy are reminiscent to that of a shepherd controlling a flock of sheep.
- Cama Leonte. Camaleonte is Italian for chameleon. His success at blending into the Archbishop guard reflects the animal's ability to blend into its surroundings.
- Luso Clemens. Clemens means peaceful and his dad told him that Luso is soul with the letters switched around, meaning his name means peaceful soul. The soul part is significant as his dad named him such because he knew that Luso would grow up to be a person who could share his soul with everyone (possibly not literally), connecting with them, and giving his mere presence a positive effect on his clanmates.
- In the Elemental Chess Trilogy, the Big Bad is called Acheron, which is the name of a river in Greece. In ancient Greek mythology, the Acheron was one of the five rivers of Hades and was known as "the river of pain." Also, in the third installment, meaningful names are given to Roy and Riza's twins; since in the series' Chess Motif Roy and Riza are the king and queen, their son is called Brendan, which means "prince," and their daughter is Riana, which means "little queen".
- From The Hamsterball Show:
- OddBall. She looks odd with her strange hairstyle and mismatched shoes, and she can even walk up walls!
- Also, OddBall's best friend, Alicia Lily Aska. Her first and middle initials, combined with her last name, reveal where she's from. (A. L. Aska)
- FunBall, a fun-loving Cloudcuckoolander.
- Identical twins Lily and Lexi la Meeshwa. Their last name comes from the sound that plays whenever someone teleports due to touching one of them.
- Spinner the Gear.
- Bonk the Hammer. He likes bonking the hamsters (unless they're his patients at Hamsterball Hospital).
- Carla Cakenpresser. Before becoming a Hamsterball obstacle, she apparently had a job at a bakery, flattening cakes (for an unknown reason).
- Ruby the Rocket, who is colored red.
- Gary Granite. He's a rock.
- The town of Rodentia is inhabited by rodents.
- In The Ollivander Children, the Ollivander children were deliberately given significant middle names by their father - Clemence, Fortitude, and Blithe - to reflect his gratitude at their safe births. Appropriately, his son Linus Fortitude is The Stoic, but less so, Calliope Blithe, has a Sugar and Ice Personality through and through.
- The Big Bad in Sluagh is The Diabhal Dubh, explained In-Story to mean 'The Black Devil' in Gaelic. What isn't explained is that Dubh can also mean several other things, including 'Hidden'. Given his nature, this is very appropriate.
The Hunger Games
- In Kyon Big Damn Hero:
- The surname Michikyuu is commonly written with two kanji. Among others meanings, the first kanji can be translated as journey or teachings and the second one as gift or grant. Like this, the word "Michikyuu" can be read as "the gift of journey" or "to grant teachings". She's a slider and her arrival enabled Kyon to learn martial arts at a ridiculous pace.
- Kyon's own name, as "semi-revealed"note at the beginning of some chapters' epigraphs and through some in-story hints, is equally meaningful. Taira no Tadamichi (aka Usui Sadamitsu) is the real name of a samurai involved in a Japanese legend, who was from one of the four families that held the power behind the Japanese throne from the 9th to 12th centuries. The other three families were Fujiwara (the other time traveler), Tachibana (the other esper), and Minamoto (which was historically based in the same geographic region as Nishinomiya). As for the meanings of the names, Tadamichi can mean straightaway/honest/frank/fix/repair | person/alternative/direction and Kyousuke can mean great | law/rule/ceremony/code. Think how Kyon has affected Haruhi. It has also been discovered that Kyon is likely descended from Usui Sadamitsu and certainly owns what's left of their sword.
Lilo & Stitch
- Some Semblance of Meaning is full of it. Vale's name can refer to a "low place" or a lament. Her district partner Kit Littleby's name refers to his smallness. Lavinia Gilden's last name implies that, while she may be "golden" and Capitol-ized on the outside, she is still a citizen of District Twelve on the inside. Many tributes' names refer to the district from which they hail, as well.
- Wrath Of The Damned: Lilo decides to name 625 Arnold. 625 thinks it's for Arnold Schwarzenegger, but Lilo really names him after Benedict Arnold.
- In World As Myth, "Kuudou Hinokage's Successor'', aside from being the title of the first Story Arc, refers to both Medaka Kurokami and the unrevealed thirteenth member of the Thirteen Party.
My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
- In the fic Knocked Up, Megamind and Roxanne name their daughter Emma, which means 'healer of the universe'. Which is what her birth did for them.
- In Equestria: A History Revealed, the Lemony Narrator is named after the prominent 9/11 truther film, Loose Change. It also helps that she's a massive Conspiracy Theorist, blatantly ignores facts, and relies on Insane Troll Logic to justify her claims.
- Many in Under The Northern Lights. "Saga" can mean both "seer" and "fairy tale": Saga has flights of fancy and is an actual seer. Lord Eminence is a gray unicorn: an "éminence grise", gray eminence, is someone having political power behind the scenes or informally, which is what Lord Eminence tries to achieve.
- In Act I of Legends of Equestria, Princess Celestia's birth name, Celeste, obviously shares a root with the name she would eventually choose for herself.
- This is, however, averted with her sister Claire, whose name has absolutely nothing to do with the moon (unless one counts Clare de Lune).
- The name of Discord's capital city in Equestria, Eridian, references Eris, the Greek goddess of discord.
- The names of all the Ancient Masters in Act I are referential to their chosen elements: Terraria = Earth, Altas/Atlas = Air, Seraph = Fire, Aquos/Aqua = Water.
- In "Fluttershy Is Free", the name "Fluttershy" was given to her by her mother because her mother thought she was sired by a flutter-pony. Her mother may even have been right — for certain values of "flutter-pony."
- Invoked and Lampshaded in Black Queen, Red King: The changelings choose their own names, sometimes in their gibberish native language. When Tarukenote comments on this, Klikanote replies, "We all name ourselves; Protector, Slaughterhouse, Daughter, Stalker – of course it’s fitting."
- My Little Unicorn:
- In the Rainbow Factory Sequel "Pegasus Device", an amnesiac pegasus mare with a purple mane, orange fur, and small wingsnote is given the name Absentia.
Rise of the Guardians
- A Growing Affection has multiple examples:
- Bunjiro Akaikazunoko, his given name and weapon lead the heroes to believe he is someone else. His family name roughly translates to Red Herring.
- Shozokus are an army of psuedo-ninja who always wear full, traditional stealth garb (a shozoku).
- Gamazashi is a member of the Toad Ninja clan who fights with Japanese curved short swords.
- Shin Busata (True Silence) opposes the Hidden Sound (or at least Orochimaru/Kabuto's version of it).
- Spider Thread has Tomoe, written with the kanji 巴, which means 'a large comma design.' This references her heritage, when it turns out that she has the Sharingan, a visual power that looks like three commas spiraling around the pupil.
Rosario + Vampire
- In the fic Guardian of Light, the main character, who has light powers, is called Helen. The name means 'light of the sun'.
- Then there's her adoptive parents; Bernadette means 'brave as a bear', while Lowell means 'little wolf'.
- Her biological sister, who became Mother Nature, is named Eartha (note this was written before the fourth book came out and we found out Mother Nature's name was Emily Jane).
- Rosario Vampire: Brightest Darkness: Dark Kuyumaya took his last name from Arial Kuyumaya, a young snow girl whom he was forced to kill by his original master, in honor of her, while his first name is from something that Arial said to him before he mortally wounded her ("I don't hate you, even if you are dark.").
- Light of the Snow Red Village: Hikari, the daughter of Kenshin and Tomoe. "Hikari" means "light," and Kenshin considers her the light of his life.
- In Weiss Reacts, we have in addition to the protagonists the whole of team MLDY:
- Melodia Viridi's name refers to her Semblance and favoured color green, Lukas' name is derived from Loki and Yukari's last name means Wind God, referring to her Semblance.
- As for their weapons, Twin Heavens is derived from the fighting style Miyamoto Musashi, Yukari's inspiration, used, Nari and Vali were Loki's sons, and Mors Certa means 'certain death'- the spear itself is based of Gae Bulg and Fragarach.
- Also, Ludwig Amadeus is the Music professor, Andreas' name is based off the root for 'man', Norn's name is meant to recall Elda and Freya and so on.
Star Trek Online
- In Pokeumans, the Pokeumans organisation is named for the people who make it up - humans transformed into different species of Pokemon. And take a guess what Pokextinction's goal is.
- In the original Pokeumans series, Rikuto Hadoryu's surname translates from Japanese as 'surging dragon'.
Super Smash Bros.
- The Headhunt:
- In their own tongue, the name of Dul'krah's species, "Pe'khdar", means "the last Clans", which is what they were reduced to after they nuked themselves into oblivion.
- The USS Brisbane is first on the scene at Facility 4028. Brisbane, Australia was one of the places convicts Sentenced to Down Under were shipped.
- In Smash Generation, there is an original character named Shiroi Karasu, who is the only person in the entire Karasu clan with white hair and a white crow. In contrast to her name, she has a twin sister who follows tradition of having black hair and a black crow... named Kuroi.
- All of Mr.Evil's original characters have meaningful names, usually having some reference to their powers or abilities in a Bilingual Bonus.
- In Life On Thedas, the main character chooses the name Ventus. It describes his main power when he gains magic. Also, he one shots an Ogre with Razor Wind!
- All the characters from the story 'The New Millennium' have been stated to have been named based on their qualities. Bennu means 'Reborn One' in Arabic, indicating that she was a reincarnation of Yugi, and Celeste means 'Heavenly' possibly referencing her transformation into an alienesque creature.(The exceptions are Tai and Ran, who haven't been given definitions yet.)
- Billy The Kid in "Sin City Kids", due to his signature goatee.
- A Small Crime:
- The writer said that Kit was named after a beautifully-crafted crossbow that she saw in an antique shop with the same name.
- Plus, kitsune (foxes) also have naturally golden eyes.