Manga: Yasashii Sekai No Tsukurikata
Yuu Tomonaga is in a bit of a lurch.A certified 19-year old genius, as little as a year before he was part of prestigious research project in the US that was, in his mind, this close to proving the theory he formulated. However that all ended when the companies supporting the project suddenly pulled their funding. Angry at their perceived short-sightedness, Yuu impulsively tells his professor that he'd find a way to restart the project on his own, and quits his research post. He returns home to Japan, confident that he'd be able to find funding back home.Things... haven't exactly worked out. In the process of chasing funding leads, he soon discovers that he's quickly run out money for his daily expenses. Fortunately his old teacher — the very same one who discovered his innate intellectual gift, and pushed for him to not let it go to waste — has solution to his monetary woes, at least for the short term. And even better, he gains a place where he can pursue his research on the side. The catch? Said solution entails helping out at the school his old teacher is currently working in. Which is apparently an all-girls school.He's obviously not thrilled. He's also not thrilled about not being informed about the fact that the teacher he was replacing apparently sexually harrassed his students, meaning the students will automatically be on guard around him. It's no wonder that, even on his first day, he's already wishing to get back to his research. However, a chance encounter with Hirose Aoi, one of the girls of his class seems to be enough to hold off leaving. This is because Aoi, supposedly one of the slower girls of the class is hiding a secret, something he had happened upon by accident: Aoi is not slow. In fact she's actually very smart, which makes him wonder just why she's stuck in a run-of-the-mill school, and what's more, hiding her talent.This little mystery is enough to make him stay, but in the process he's found himself gradually drawn into the lives of his students, something he had not counted on. Will Yuu ever get back to his research project at this rate?Yasashii Sekai no Tsukurikattanote is being serialized in Dengeki Daioh Genesis. It is still ongoing, with at least three compiled volumes so far.
Yasashii Sekai No Tsukurikata provides examples of:
- Bishounen: Yuu isn't exactly plain looking, and by the third chapter, is surprised to find that many of the girls see him as an excellent catch.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Miss Akayama and alcohol do not mix well.
- Curtains Match the Window: Aoi, Haruka, Kayo, and Touko all have eye colors matching their hair colors.
- Four Girl Ensemble: Aoi's little circle of friends forms one of these.
- Hot for Student: What cost the guy Yuu replaced his job, when he started sexually harassing Haruka. Needless to say, Yuu is trying to avoid this from happening.
- Onoda starts showing signs of this towards Touko (done on purpose by her in a gambit to try capture Reiji's heart). He is aware of this and fears for his sanity.
- Hot for Teacher: Haruka quickly falls in love with Yuu when she finds out that he isn't really a pervert harassing Aoi, and is just a nice, if awkward, guy.
- Much later on, Touka starts falling for Yuu's mentor Reiji Onoda, after he saves her from a Christmas Eve date turned sour.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: Each chapter is indirectly based on a physics concept, or a known scientist. Chapter 12 for example is entitled "Apples and Universal Gravitation" (referring to Newton and his theories), while chapter 8 has "The Words of a Certain Patent Office Clerk" (referring to Albert Einstein).
- Important Haircut: Yurine cuts her hair after the night she and Yuu unintentionally spent together.
- Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places: Whether or not it's a sexual nature is up for debate (note how she never rebuffs her friends whenever they tease her for being a slut), but Touka's ever-changing string of boyfriends is definitely this, especially since she uses her fleeting relationships to escape bad circumstances at home.
- Megane: Yuu of course.
- Meganekko: Kayo.
- Meido: A given, since Yuu's class decided on a maid cafe for their cultural festival.
- Not What It Looks Like: Haruka walks in on Yuu apparently assaulting Aoi in the first chapter. He's not; he was just confronting Aoi on why she was hiding the fact that she was a genius. It's just that Aoi started reacting violently to his inquiry.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: While not stupid, Aoi is definitely pretending to be an average student for personal reasons. See the Single Issue Psychology entry for the details.
- Odd Friendship: Yuu wonders about how Touka and Aoi are even friends, due to how different they are. Aoi rebutts that they're really Not So Different, but of course Yuu wouldn't know this.
- Secret Relationship: What Touka and Reiji's situation looks like at first, but in actuality it's more of a Pretty Freeloaders situation, where Reiji is just letting her stay for a while. However, Reiji is obviously fearful that this might be how things will end up.
- Sensei-chan: Yurine Kayama, a somewhat ditzy but well-meaning English teacher that Yuu interacts with on a regular basis.
- Single Issue Psychology: Aoi's reluctance to reveal the fact that she's a very VERY intelligent young woman is all due to an instance when, as a grade-schooler, her mother harshly calls her precocious science questions "disgusting". This incident may be due to earlier instances in which Aoi's excelling in school was assumed to be due to her cheating. Neither teachers nor her mother believed her work was her own.
- Teen Genius: Yuu's gift was discovered while he was still 13. By the time he he was 19, he was the core of a high-profile research project based on his graduate thesis.
- Aoi is also this. Trying to find out why Aoi's not capitalizing on her talents is the main reason why Yuu's content to remain a teacher, rather than join a major company or firm.
- Yuu's younger twin siblings are also quite intelligent, with the younger brother coming up with a prank virus in a day and infecting Yuu's computer just to mess with him.
- What Did I Do Last Night?: The aftermath of the Valentine's Day drinking session where it's implied that Yuu and Yurine had a surprise one-night stand. Averted in that both are perfectly aware what happened — indeed, Yuu would rather forget about what happened, but can't, and Yurine couldn't help but feel melancholic about what happened.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Kayo. She claims to draw a firm line between real life and her 2D fantasies however.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Aoi has bright pink hair, Haruka's is blonde, while Touko's is purple, apparently for no better reason than to have the girls stand out. Just to hammer the point home, Kayo, the fourth member of their group of friends, has perfectly normal brown hair.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Aoi sports a pair.