Generally considered Takashima Kazusa's most popular Boys Love
manga, Wild Rock
is a romance between young men of two rival clans
set in the prehistoric era
. Because he is useless at hunting, Yuuen is sent by his father to pretend to be a woman
Emba, the best hunter of the lake clan, into giving him food. The more time they spend together, the more Yuuen falls for Emba and regrets deceiving him.
The side story Innocent Lies
covers the relationship between Yuni and Selim, Yuuen's and Emba's respective fathers, and their choice to place duty before love. There's also two short chapters that serve as a Babies Ever After
epilogue to the work with Nava, the son of Yuuen's brother and Emba's sister
Wild Rock provides examples of:
- Affectionate Nickname: Yuuen's father calls him "My sweet child."
- Braids of Action: Emba has a single braid that shows he's an action guy
- Bridal Carry: Emba catches Yuuen like this after the latter falls out of a tree.
- Close-Call Haircut: Emba just barely escapes the alligator, with his braid being cut clean off by the alligator's snap.
- Conflicting Loyalty: Yuni and Selim choose loyalty to their clans. Emba chooses loyalty to Yuuen.
- Declaration of Protection: Emba swears to devote his life to protecting Yuuen and promises that his soul will continue to do so, even after he dies.
- Disguised in Drag: Yuuen dresses up as a woman to gain Emba's favour.
- Distressed Dude: Yuuen, who is small, weak, and looks like a girl, is helpless against most giant prehistoric animals.
- Doting Parent: As doting as Nava's uncles are, his dad is even worse.
- Double In-Law Marriage: Yuuen's and Emba's siblings meet during their ceremony, which leads to the Babies Ever After extras.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Yuuen, it's even mentioned by his father, and when disguised as a woman, Yuuen just wears a long robe and has his hair down.
- Feuding Families: Although they avoid bloodshed, the lake clan and the forest clan have tense relations because their natural hunting grounds overlap. Thanks to Emba's prowess the forest clan is not getting much meat at all, hence Yuuen gets sent on a Honey Trap mission to convince Emba to give him some of his catch. In the end Yuuen's and Emba's feelings for each other lead to the clans setting aside their rivalry and uniting, and Yuuen's and Emba's siblings get married.
- Fundoshi Shot: The loin cloths don't cover that much to begin with, but there's still many moments where the reader gets a peek at what's under them.
- Furo Scene: The Child Rock chapter features doting uncles Yuuen and Emba bathing at the lake with baby Nava.
- Generation Xerox: Yuuen and Emba end up falling in love just like their fathers did.
- Happily Married: After the events of "Wild Rock" the two tribes celebrate them coming together and it starts with Emba and Yuuen's union; basically meaning the two are married. And in the Babies Ever After extras, Yuuen's brother marries and has a son with Emba's sister.
- He-Man Woman Hater: Yuuen's brother states he just doesn't get the what the deal is about women and prefers hunting. Not long after this he meets Emba's sister. The end result is predictable.
- Honey Trap: Yuni thinks that if Yuuen pretends to be female, he can convince Emba to give them some of the game he kills.
- Hunter Trapper: Hunting is an important food source for both clans. Emba is the best hunter/trapper in either clan by far, leaving the forest clan hard up for food.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Yuuen has absolutely huge blue irises.
- Keet: Nava as he gets older.
- Loin Cloth: The default dress for young men, it seems.
- Letting His Hair Down: At the start of the manga, Yuuen initially wore his hair up in a high ponytail, while disguised as a woman, he lets it down; it seems to become a habit as he's rarely seen with his hair completely up for the rest of the manga except for only one other instance.
- Love at First Sight: Part of what gives Yuuen away is simply that Emba's been entranced since the first time they saw each other and knows exactly who (and what gender) he is.
- Loves My Alter Ego: Yuuen thinks he's doing a much better job at being a woman than he actually is and assumes Emba's in love with that side of him. He's not.
- Luminescent Blush: Yuuen.
- Mr. Fanservice: Emba's design is pure beefcake fanservice.
- My Own Private "I Do": Emba takes Yuuen away in the middle of their ceremony to make their own vows of eternity alone.
- Nemean Skinning: Goes with the prehistoric setting.
- Never Smile at a Crocodile: A giant prehistoric alligator nearly eats Yuuen.
- Non-Action Guy: Yuuen, to the point his father decides he will be more useful pretending to be a girl.
- Nubile Savage: Applies to both men and women who all look far too perfect for the setting.
- One Million BC: Set in a fantastical prehistoric time.
- Prehistoric Monster: The world is full of them.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Nava know how to use them well.
- Rescue Romance: The first time Yuuen and Emba meet Yuuen is about to be killed by a giant sabre-toothed animal that he had been trying to hunt. Emba flies in out of nowhere and stabs it in the neck, and promptly tells Yuuen he's incapable of wielding a weapon. Emba also has to rescue him from a giant alligator later on.
- Samaritan Relationship Starter: Yuni falls into an animal trap set by Selim. Selim gets him out and nurses him back to health. Since they're of rival clans, Yuni wouldn't have given him the time of day before this.
- Sarashi: Emba gains something of one to bandage the injuries from the alligator.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Yuuen is the small and pretty Non-Action Guy and Emba is the beefcake Hunter Trapper with a big sword.
- Spoiled Brat: Nava is absolutely spoiled rotten by his dad and uncles, gets into everything and has the attention span of a fruit fly.
- Starcrossed Lovers: Yuni and Selim decide there's no way to overcome the fact that they're from Feuding Families and are both future chieftans, so they part and have families of their own. It isn't until their sons fall in love and unite the two tribes that they meet again, agreeing it was long overdue.
- Tender Tears: Yuuen gets these, which reinforce the fact he is just not a manly man like the others.
- Unsettling Gender Reveal: Subverted. Emba knew all along Yuuen was a guy but didn't mention it because he didn't want him to stop seeing him.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: The young men of both clans. Emba in particular.
- What Could Have Been: Yuni and Selim were in love with each other, but were caught between the decision of staying loyal to their clans or being together, they chose the former and would later go on to father two children each and continue the long-running feud between the tribes; one could only wonder what would've happened if the two chose to be with each other.
- Zettai Ryouiki: All of the men running around in Loin Cloths and leg warmers have them, even Yuuen, but Emba's Grade A is worth mentioning specifically.