Manga: Usotsuki Wa Shinshi No Hajimari
Usotsuki wa Shinshi no Hajimari
, also known as Lies Are a Gentleman's Manners
, is a Boys Love
manga created by Matsuo Marta, who was an assistant to Est Em.
Medical student Jonathan is caught stealing prescription drugs and selling them to other students by his faculty adviser, Paul, who quickly blackmails Jonathan into having sex with him. After a series of cruel jokes, their one-night relationship turns into something more. But there are some obstacles to them forming a proper relationship, mainly Paul's playboy tendencies and his married state.
At Anime Expo 2012, Digital Manga announced that it had licensed the first volume in print and digital for 2013.
Contains these tropes:
- Almost Kiss:
- Armour-Piercing Slap: Paul is usually in the receiving end.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension
- The Beard: Judy for Paul, and seemingly Jonathan for Evan.
- Bishōnen: Angel.
- Black Comedy: Jonathan leaves Paul a present after they have sex containing a condom and a piece of paper saying "Welcome to the HIV world!!!" As Paul breaks down in tears lamenting that he won't see his little girl marry, Jonathan returns to tell him it was just a joke.
- Boys Love
- But Not Too Bi: Paul self-identifies as a gay man but is very fond of his wife and even had a kid with her.
- Comically Missing the Point: What does Jonathan think after Paul asks him about his relationship with Evan? That Paul is after Evan.
- Contrived Coincidence: Both times that Jonathan meets Angel.
- Jonathan meeting Paul's daughter and wife.
- The Casanova: Paul
- Flashback Cut: While Jonathan is watching porn, he has flashback to him and Paul having sex.
- Flipping the Bird: After the public kiss incident.
- Green-Eyed Epiphany
- Hair Today Gone Tomorrow: Almost there, since Paul is going bald.
- Heir Club for Men: Paul's mom is worried about who will carry out the family name since all her grand-kids are female.
- Homoerotic Dream:
- Hollywood New England
- Imagine Spot: Jonathan has one where Paul is singing Mad Romance while they are having sex.
- After Jonathan thinks Paul has called him princess, he has one of this where he [Jonathan] is dressed as Snow White and Paul as the prince.
- Innocent Cohabitation: Angel and Levy, at least in the beginning.
- The Internet Is for Porn
- Interrupted Intimacy: Paul tries to play this trope straight by trying to make Daniel out himself to his wife while they are having sex behind the gazebo but the wife sees a snake a runs away
- In Vino Veritas
- I Want Grand Kids: Paul's mom wants male grandchildren.
- Kiss-Kiss-Slap: Paul and Daniel, the last time they saw each other. Paul also shows signs of this and Slap-Slap-Kiss with Jonathan.
- Love at First Sight: Angel with Paul.
- Love Triangle: There seems to be a budding one with Evan, Paul, and Jonathan.
- Making Love in All the Wrong Places: In the barn, in the car, behind the gazebo... and not even with the same person.
- May-December Romance: Paul is 37, while Jonathan is still in his early 20s.
- Megane: Jonathan
- Naughty Under the Table: Paul tries this with Jonathan in the school cafeteria, which leads to Jonathan kicking Paul's shoe against a trashcan.
- Oblivious to Love: Jonathan can be oddly innocent about men's interest in him.
- Phenotype Stereotype: Paul and his family; averted with Jonathan and a few other side characters.
- Practical Joke
- Precocious Crush: Paul's daughter, Abby, develops one on Jonathan.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Of the Blank White Eyes variety after Paul makes Jonathan kiss him in front of his students.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Paul
- Shout-Out: Apparently Paul sang Mad Romance by Lady Zaza at a karaoke.
- Student Teacher Romance
- Take-That Kiss
- Tsundere Jonathan for Paul.
- Victorious Childhood Friend: Judy for Paul.
- White Anglo-Saxon Protestant: Paul is described as a WASP by Jonathan.
- Whole Episode Flashback: Almost an entire chapter is used to flashback to the last time Paul saw an old flame.
- Your Cheating Heart: