You... are a liar.Usogui is a psychology- and gambling- based manga by Toshio Sako.There are gamblers out there who even bet their lives as ante. But to secure the integrity of these life-threatening gambles, a violent and powerful organization by the name of “Kagerou” referees these games as a neutral party. Follow Bak Madarame a.k.a. Usogui (The Lie Eater) as he gambles against maniacal opponents at games – such as Escape the Abandoned Building, Old Maid, and Hangman – to ultimately “out-gamble” and control the neutral organization of Kagerou itself.
—Bak's quote after winning a game
Usogui provides examples of:
- Absurdly High-Stakes Game - The entire premise of the story.
- Batman Gambit - Bak uses his opponents' personalities against them. Q-Taro found this out the hard way when Bak recruited Marco during his battle with him. He used Q-Taro's belief that Marco was dead to lure him out and attack him with Marco.
- Gambit Roulette - Some of Bak's plans seem to be this. But he actually does try to learn everything about a target, down to their personalities, forces, and supplies they would have hidden in their building. Yes, he even plays roulette this way.
- Heel–Face Turn - Marco joined Bak's side after asking Bak who he was. Bak's response: "That's something you must decide for yourself."
- Serious Business - Bak treats slots as such. But his entire life has been about life-or-death gambling, so...
- Super-Powered Evil Side - Do not stick a syringe in Marco.
- Trademark Favorite Food - For Bak: Japanese apricots. Eating one usually means he's about to do something badass.
- Xanatos Gambit - All of Bak's strategies are these. If an opponent calls his bluff, he reveals that it wasn't a bluff and wins anyway.