9-year-old Megumi is a rough-and-tumble boy with poor manners who always gets into fights. One day, as he and his friend Miki are playing by the river, Megumi rescues a mysterious old man from some thugs. In return, the old man gives him a magic book with a wish-granting spirit who grants Megumi a single wish. Megumi wishes to be a big, strong, manly man. The catch: the spirit is a trickster spirit who always reverses the wishes he grants... so Megumi is transformed into a girl. In frustration, Megumi throws the book into the river. He and Miki run home, to find that everyone else's memories have been altered: only Miki and Megumi remember that Megumi was ever a boy.
Fast forward six years. Miki and Megumi are just entering High School
, and Megumi has grown to be a tall, gorgeous girl with waist-length hair that Miki forbids her to cut. Megumi still vows to find the book... if she can dodge the attentions of the school bully and of the Megumi Instant Fan Club
The title translates as "A Cheeky Angel." The "cheeky angel" is Megumi, not the trickster spirit responsible for the curse.
Provides examples of:
- Delinquents: Whole squads of them, found lurking around every street corner and at the beck and call of any of the main characters' rivals.
- Different for Girls: Several variations; most prone to Kick the Dog moments.
- Dude, She's Like, in a Coma! The kiss in the last episode.
- Dude, Where's My Reward?: Megumi wishes to become a "man among men". The Genie makes her a girl instead. The finale reveals that Megumi was a girl all along: the genie made her think she was a boy because he lacked the power to actually change her gender.
- Foe Yay: Megumi/Keiko; Keiko describes Megumi as "So beautiful that she can capture your soul." Megumi also had a moment with Keiko that her friends assumed was Megumi flirting with Keiko.
- Gender Bender subverted, but the subversion is important to the plot
- Instant Fan Club: Megumi gets on in high school. It's especially considering her situation.
- Instant Seiza: Subversion: Keiko takes advantage of being pinned under Fujiki to scream and accuse him of being a pervert, in order to knock Megumi down a peg.
- Jackass Genie: The Trickster Spirit reversing the wish for kicks.
- Karma Houdini: The final Big Bad, on TWO separate occasions, despite attempted murder and rape of most of the main characters, and full ability of the main cast to exact revenge, or call the cops! Apparently he gets off clean since his main victim comes from an 'honorable house,' and honor in Japan means not protecting your granddaughter from rapists.
- One Head Taller: In the last chapter, Megumi had to stand on a large piece of brick in order to kiss Genzo shoulder to shoulder.
- Pervert Dad: Megumi's dad is occasionally fantasizing about his daughter, and building secret passages to access her room.
- Pet the Dog: Keiko gets one of these moments near the end.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Megumi and Miki; it's complicated considering the guy-turned-girl- who was a girl all along.