Sweet Black is a 2007 shojo manga series by Mai Nishikata.Haru Myojin and Sagiri Tachikawa are childhood friends, but once Haru realizes her feelings for Sagiri, his job and popularity as a model is slowly distancing them apart. Will Haru be able to properly confess her feelings for Sagiri, or will she end up losing her childhood friend to his new colorful life?
This series contains the following tropes:
- Beach Episode: Chapter 4.
- Bishounen: Sagiri.
- Bridal Carry: Sagiri does this to Haru to help her carry a box for her part-time job.
- Cannot Spit It Out: The reason why Haru can't admit her feelings to Sagiri—who has already confessed his feelings for her—is because she feels too inferior to him and out of fear that if she confesses, Sagiri might lose interest in her.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Reina.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Haru is 143 cm. Sagiri is 183 cm.
- Fangirl: Haru is a big fan of the model Jay. This is what led Sagiri to become a model as well.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Sagiri gets jealous when Haru agrees to talk about Jay's relationship woes with him and starts spending time with Jay.
- Hidden Depths: It turns out that Jay's character and appearance are drastically different, as he looks like an attractive and cool model on the surface, but secretly has relationship woes that he confides to Haru.
- Lap Pillow/Sleep Cute: At one point, Sagiri uses Haru's lap to rest on.
- Not So Different: Haru and Jay become sort of "kindred spirits" in their relationship woes—with Haru uncertain on whether she will confess to Sagiri or not, and with Jay trying to win back his girlfriend, who dumped him.
- The Reveal: The reason why Sagiri became a model was because Haru liked the model Jay and he wanted to be model too and surprise her.
- Satellite Love Interest: Reina Notani, a fellow model and Sagiri's girlfriend. She is jealous of the close relationship Haru shares with Sagiri and doesn't like it when Sagiri does things that don't follow his "image" like putting sugar in black coffee or playing video games all night long—things Sagiri loves to do with Haru—and it turns out the only reason Reina dated Sagiri was because she found someone that "match" herself well.
- Short-Haired Cutie: Haru.
- Shōjo (Demographic)
- Victorious Childhood Friend: Haru and Sagiri.