Manga: Super Dreadnought Girl 4946
aka: Superdreadnought Girl 4946
In this story, it's revealed that all of the wars fought over the past 30 years were part of a Masquerade
to keep the public in the dark about an Alien Invasion
. The nations of the world are fighting the enormous alien monsters with a number of superpowered creatures called Category D's. One of these is Mana Eimiya, a 49.46-metre-tall girl
whose job is to periodically come out of hiding and beat up incoming aliens, apparently with just her bare hands.
Problem is, she's fallen head over heels for a guy 40 times shorter than her - a boy named Makoto Tobita with spiky hair and an obsession with chivalry and being overprotective of girls. Can this unlikely relationship work?
A different kind of Boy Meets Girl
story from Takeshi Azuma, a.k.a. Studio Kimigabuchi (the studio behind Neon Genesis Evangelion RE-TAKE
Provide examples of:
- A Category D Did It: Category D creatures are stated to be supernatural in origin, hence why they can defy the laws of physics.
- A-Cup Angst: Kuumi had quite complex about it. When investigating sea spirits phenomenon that attacking girls, Jinguuji points out that the monster only attacked girls with B-cup or larger. She is not amused.
- Americans Are Cowboys: Issac Montana exploits this in the beauty contest.
- Attack Of The 49.46 Meter Whatever In chapter 28, she grows to 4946 meters tall and, on chapter 29, grew to the size of celestial bodies, big enough to hug the sun.
- Bad Ass: Admit it, if you had balls for fighting a monster by letting it eat you, or survived from having your soul devoured by your girlfriend, you're qualified.
- Beach Episode: Chapter 19.
- Beam-O-War: Between Mana and the Kirin.
- Beauty Contest: Chapter 20. A winner wasn't declared between the top 2, though.
- BFS: Senri is a shapeshifter with the ability to turn himself into one of these for Mana to use. And when Mana is supercharged from eating Tobita he turns into an absolutely MASSIVE hammer that completely dwarfs Mana.
- Big Bad: Inochi, the Mother of all the D-Codes and love interest of Tobita's ancestor.
- Big Damn Heroes: Chapter 17 brings a big one: After Kuumi ventured into the sealed cave of the Kirin and being overwhelmed by its might (She got beaten halfway to death by just a single of the beast's claws), she resigns herself to death, silently admitting her love for Makoto; only to witness Mana's hand crashing through the cavern and halting Kirin's surefire killing blow, and Makoto says, riding on Mana's shoulder: "Kuumi, let me take care of this."
- Blush Sticker: Isaac Montana, who at one point manages to have these AND a Luminescent Blush at the same time.
- But Not Too Foreign: One of Jinguuji's grandfathers is French.
- Cat Girl: When Isaac Montana introduces herself to the rest of the class, she comes in wearing a cat suit.
- Crash into Hello: Averted when Isaac Montana tries to bump into Tobita. He evades and Isaac knocks her head on a street light.
- Crucified Hero Shot: Mana in Chapter 27.
- Cute and Psycho: Kuumi Tobita, Makoto's younger sister, is a pretty, young, highly trained youkai slayer. She claims to be quite fond of her brother . . . well, her brother's screams of pain, anyway. For that matter, she really likes Eimiya's screams of pain. (At one point, she tells Makoto that it would be a terrible shame if their father did the job of exorcising Eimiya . . . because he would do it painlessly.) In general, it appears that she likes anyone's screams of pain.
- Cute Giant: Mana.
- Cute Monster Girl: Mana, again. Inochi counts too.
- Deface of the Moon: First, Tokyo Tower is thrown into the moon. And now, during battle with Kirin, Mana's beam attack chipped the moon.
- Derailing Love Interests: Kuumi realizes she's fallen in love with Senri just before his Heroic Sacrifice. He gets better.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Tobita.
- Mr. Fanservice/Handsome Lech: Jinguuji. And Senri takes it to Up to Eleven levels since his introduction reveals that he once dated 100 girls at the same time. For true love!
- Foreign Fanservice: Isaac Montana.
- Freaky Is Cool: Jinguuji's attitude.
- Full-Frontal Assault: Aside from some Censor Clouds, Mana is naked after her Make My Monster Grow moment.
- Gender-Blender Name: The very VERY female Isaac Montana. In America! Subverted in that it's not her real name.
- Genre Savvy: Isaac Montana and Jinguuji.
- Definitely Jinguuji. Though initially jealous about Isaac's attempted Crash into Hello, the fact that he recognized it as a trope clued him in that there was something fishy about it.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Tobita (and everyone else except Mana) believed that he was doing this when he tricked Mana into swallowing him just long enough for her to defeat the Monster of the Week. It SHOULD have killed him instantly, but it turned out that the B.S. "three minute rule" he made up on the spot worked for him. Of course, with the current situation, this might be turned into real Heroic Sacrifice.
- Hot-Blooded: Tobita, again.
- Hour of Power: Subverted. Mana is told that she has three minutes to spit up Tobita after eating him, but that was a complete lie. In reality Tobita should have died the instant Mana swallowed him. No one knows how he survived for any length of time, so for all we know he could stay in for a lot longer that three minutes.
- Huge School Girl: At 49.46M, Eimiya is easily the hugest.
- Insistent Terminology: Mana hates it when people round up her height to 50M instead of 49.46 because, according to her, short girls are cuter.
- Interspecies Romance: Although Mana's mind and soul are those of a human girl.
- Jerkass Fašade: Chapter 17 reveals that at least as far as her brother is concerned, Kuumi's Yandere attitude is largely a front developed after he got mauled by a bear trying to protect her. She doesn't want to have him put his life on the line like that ever again.
- Kitsune: Senri's true form.
- Late for School: Issac Montana does this intentionally to try to get Tobita's attention, due to learning this from Animes.
- Magical Girlfriend: Mana is something of an example.
- Magnetic Girlfriend: Par for the course, Tobita starts attracting love interests almost immediately after officially becoming Mana's boyfriend. It's both Lampshaded, by Jinguuji lamenting it, and Played With as it's Tobita defending Mana and declaring her to be his girlfriend that makes Akemi realize Tobita's true nature.
- New Transfer Students: Mana, Kuumi, and Isaac.
- Nobody Poops: Discussed in chapter 4, Mana acually doesn't poop since she doesn't require food to live.
- Not Quite Human: Mana is an enormously obvious example, being merged with a giant youkai.
- It's also hinted that Makoto isn't entirely normal either, both when he survives having Mana absorb energy from his soul and when his demon-hunting sister says that she loves his screams of pain the most.
- Not What It Looks Like: After apparently being replaced by Senri, Tobita is approached by a normal girl he'd saved in the past, who offered to cook for him (something Mana obviously couldn't ever do.) While at her place, not only does Mana see them by looking in the window, but runs off crying about how Tobita "likes little girls." Though in the way she says it, sounds like he is a lolicon.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Isaac Montana's American Genki Girl Otaku personality masks the fact that she's The Mole, though Jinguuji is Dangerously Genre Savvy enough to see through it.
- Odd Friendship: Jinguuji and Tobita. Maybe because unlike others, Jinguuji can really see Tobita for what he is.
- It got better; It's revealed in chapter 38 that Makoto is the first guy who befriend Jinguuji, and he dyed his hair for him.
- Oh Crap: End of chapter 20. "This is The International Space Station. We... we can hear someone. We discovered an immense number of space life-form armies, exceeding the level of Kirin. Their expected destination is... EARTH.
- Ojou Ringlets: Shintani Ryouko.
- Otaku: Jinguuji, of all people, later joined by Isaac.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Makoto Tobita, taking out people bigger than himself since elementary.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Jinguuji delivers one to Inochi, telling her bluntly that her actions contradict Shingon true dreams. She doesn't take it well.
- Show Within a Show: Isaac's favorite anime, Beat The Little Mice.
- Smug Snake: Senri, who lords it over Tobita how much better suited he is for Mana.
- Sociopathic Hero: Kuumi does a lot to protect the people of Japan from youkai... but let's just say it's not for the purest of reasons.
- Swallowed Whole: Mana eating Tobita.
- The Thing That Goes Doink
- Tiny Guy, HUGE Girl: The Series
- Tokyo Tower: Knocked to the moon along with a monster.
- Tyke Bomb: Montana and Mana.
- Villainous Breakdown: Inochi. since she's personification of the sun, her breakdown is not pretty.