Manga: Shiroi Heya no Futari
Description from The Other Wiki
The orphaned Resine decides, against her aunt's wishes, to attend the same boarding school
as her mother
, but she finds it difficult to fit herself into the life of the school. Resine must also share a room with Simone, the rebellious daughter of a famous actress
. Simone does not make Resine feel welcome and takes advantage of every chance she gets to cause trouble: she goes out late with boys, copies Resine's homework, and teases Resine every time she cries. In spite of everything, the two girls become closer, although Resine cannot name the feeling.Shiroi Heya no Futari
(白い部屋のふたり, Our White Room
or Couple of the White Room
) was the first Girls Love
manga. It was written by Ryoko Yamagishi, one of the Year 24 Group (a collective of manga artists who revolutionized shojo
manga), during The Seventies
, and is the source of many common Girls Love
Shiroi Heya No Futari contains examples of:
- Anguished Declaration of Love
- Asleep for Days: Alluded to, and used as the basis for a joke. After Resine faints during morning assembly, she wakes up in a bed and being watched over by Simone, who says she's been out for three days. When she panics, Simone laughs and tells her she's really only been out for a minute - she was just teasing Resine.
- Boarding School
- Bury Your Gays: In the end, Simone gets stabbed to death by a jealous ex-boyfriend.
- The Casanova: Simone is a boy-magnet.
- Deceased Parents Are the Best: Resine is an orphan with very rosy memories of her parents.
- Downer Ending
- Enter Stage Window: Simone's favored method of entering and exiting her dorm room.
- Hair Decorations: Resine wears a girlish hair-bow.
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking: Simone smokes cigarettes, highlighting her rebellious nature.
- It Meant Something to Me: When Simone confesses to Resine that their Romeo and Juliet kiss wasn't just acting.
- Love Hurts: And how!
- The Mourning After After Simone dies, Resine vows to never love another as long as she lives.
- Na´ve Newcomer: Resine
- New Transfer Student: Resine
- One-Gender School
- Parental Neglect: Simone's mother is a famous actress who spares little time or attention for her daughter.
- School Play: Romeo and Juliet, with Simone and Resine playing the leads.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians
- Slap-Slap-Kiss: Resine and Simone.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Again, Resine and Simone
- Tomboy and Girly Girl
- Trope Codifier: Most of the stereotypical Girls Love tropes associated with the genre can be traced back to this manga.
- Troubled, but Cute: Simone