Manga: Shirogane No Nina
Shirogane no Nina (Silver Nina) is a slice of life manga series by Itokatsu.Shimazaki Shutaro recently lost his job in Tokyo and sees himself forced to return to his hometown. When he enters his parents' house, he is surprised to find a out that a young silver-haired girl has been living there too. The, girl, whose name is Nina, also happens to be his niece, sent by his older sister (who lives abroad) to live in Japan. Now, Shutaro tries to find a new purpose in life while bonding and taking care of his niece.The manga's most recent chapters can be read on Crunchyroll.
Shirogane No Nina contains examples of the following tropes:
- But Not Too Foreign: Nina is half-japanese, half-finnish.
- Childhood Friends: Tomoe and Shutaro are this.
- Cheerful Child: Nina is this. She smiles frequently, is energetic, and has a very positive outlook on life in general.
- Food Porn: A high number of chapters are focused primarily on Nina getting to try some new type of food.
- I Coulda Been a Contender: In his high School days, Shutaro wanted to be rich and have his own business. Ten years later, he is jobless and penniless. He gets better, though.
- Idol Singer: Nina's dream is to be one of them someday.
- NEET: Shutaro starts the story as this. He gets a temporary job at a farm later on.
- Scenery Porn: The manga, which is mostly set in a small, rural town with lots of greenery, is full of this.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism: Leans heavily on the idealism side of the scale.