Mikoto Saijou was born with a heart defect. However, due to being operated on by skilled pediatric surgeon, Mamoru Shindou, he made it out alive. In gratitude, Mikoto wants to become a surgeon and someday be the greatest pediatric surgeon in the world. In his quest to change the Japanese medical system, he encounters new allies, who joined to support him after they were inspired by his passion to help children and prodigious skill in medicine.Saijou no Meii
(also known as The Best Skilled Surgeon
) is a shonen manga created by Takashi Hashiguchi with assistance from Kenzou Irie who helped with most of the medical information. The former is known for creating a prior manga series, Yakitate!! Japan
. Saijou no Mei
is serialised by Shonen Sunday
. The manga ran from 2008 to 2010 and ended with 11 volumes. The series has a live action adaptation and a ongoing sequel named Saijou no Meii - The King of Neet
that stars a new protagonist.
This manga provides examples of:
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Although Mikoto is very childish at times and is obsessed with collecting Mushiman merchandise, he's extremely competant at his job.
- Exposition Diagram: Imaginary diagrams are used in almost every chapter in the series to explain medical procedures, politics, and terminology.
- Hairstyle Inertia: Mikoto has the exact same hairstyle he had as a kid.
- Idiot Savant: Mikoto has some traits associated with this. Although, he's a surgical genius with extreme spatial-awareness that allows him to perform incredible medical feats, he's also very childish, obsessed with a Captain Ersatz of Kamen Rider & yammers on about it to anybody who'll listen. The plot of chapter five revolves around him being incapable of recognizing a fellow doctor when she's in civilian clothes.
- Job Title: The title which is translated as "The Best Skilled Surgeon", which is of course the main character's job.
- A Minor Kidroduction: In the first chapter, Mikoto is introduced as a ten year old kid.
- Older Than They Look: Saijou should be in his 20's but he looks about 15 and acts even less than that. Probably to make it easier for the readers to identify with, as the author's stated goal in writing the manga was to inspire young people to study medicine.
- Serious Business: Applies the same shonen manga mindset to pediatric medicine that the author's previous work did to baking, though in this case it really is pretty damn serious.
- Snot Bubble: In chapter 7, Mikoto does this when he falls asleep during the hospital director's speech.
- Spit Take: In chapter 14, the assistant director spits out his tea when Mikoto announces he got consent from Nasuka's mother to perform the surgery.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Most of the characters in the manga have relatively normal hair colours except our Hot Blooded protagonist Mikoto, who stands out by having purple, spiky unruly hair.