TwentyMinutesIntoTheFuture, Japan has been taken by storm by the social network [[TitleDrop Real Account]], commonly called "[=ReaAcc=]" by the populace. [=ReaAcc=] has become an ubiquitous part of the nation's culture, having combined all functions of other [=SNSs=] into one platform and received support from the government, businesses, and the public. The service has become an essential part of everyone's life, and naturally a big concern of many, if not all of its users, is the followers they accrue. The number of followers one possesses is critical to establishing an online standing.
Kashiwagi Ataru may be an OrdinaryHighSchoolStudent in real life, but on Real Account, he has over 1500 followers...he gained by falsifying information on his public profile. But hey, at least he's #4 in nationwide score rankings for "No Answer"!
For the most part, Ataru has no social life outside of Real Account. But his online presence garners him enough attention by the social network's creators for him to be whisked away with the ten thousand most popular users into cyberspace. There, he will have to compete in a [=ReaAcc-hosted=] death game televised across the country. The key to staying alive? Followers willing to put their lives on the line for the participants...and how many care enough to make the commitment?
!! Tropes in ''Real Account'' include:
* ActionGirl: Nanako.
* AllWomenAreDomsAllMenAreSubs: During the Re-ACA Live Broadcast.
* BloodsplatteredInnocents: [[spoiler:Ataru and Yuuma when they were kids.]]
* BystanderEffect: Largely in play and one of the biggest dangers present to the participants. Followers can opt out of following a player ''at any time,'' if they value their lives over his. It's incredibly evident in chapter 1, with people leaving others to die to save themselves and yet not associating their actions as contributing to murder. Considering that the creators intended for the game to be a social experiment, it's not surprising that this was invoked.
* CharactersDroppingLikeFlies: '''A LOT''' of people are introduced, gets a few lines in, then promptly drop like flies.
* ConvenientlyAnOrphan: Ataru and his sister Yuri's parents are shown to have died before the start of the series. How Ataru and Yuri get by is so far unexplained, other than evidently having a home and a mention that they are poor.
* DarkAndTroubledPast: The contestants in the 2nd group, some of them includes:
** [[spoiler: An AV actor who failed her father's standards of being first and forces her to marry another "loser". Then PlayedForLaughs as they lose their virginity to each other and she discovered that she can achieved first be taking another man's cherry, divorcing him, discarding her name and becoming a well-known AV actor.]]
** [[spoiler: A beauty who initially had a twin that is very pretty while she herself is very ugly (along with forcing her to wear a mask). Then a fire happened which the twin is killed in order to save her (that time she is trying to kill herself) while she herself undergoes surgery that ended up making her as pretty as her deceased twin]].
** [[spoiler: A serial killer who is initially a housewife, started because of a burglary gone wrong killing everyone in her family except herself. While she eventually killed the burglar, she realizes that her bloodlust is stronger than the love of her family.]]
** [[spoiler: A cultist who is originally a web programmer, indirectly participating in the First Real Account game to save his boss trapped in the game. The boss dies (along with some of his co-workers) when he failed the Re-ACA's Live Broadcast, with his surviving as his boss preemptively blocked him before his death.]]
** [[spoiler: A fashionista who discovered every male is in love with her, cemented with her stepfather killing her mother just to prove his love to her]]
** [[spoiler: A box wearing boy who lives in a dice cube where every week the cube is played in an illegal casino, with the number of the dice quantifies his food for a week. Years later he decide to finish everything by gambling his life by rolling the dice cube by himself. While he lost first, a plane suddenly crash their location with him being a survivor]].
** [[spoiler: A dog, who turned out to be the traitor for the second Real Account game. He lives with an owner who trains his intelligence and is recorded to the internet, then snooping around the net he found out the owner has a video record of murdering pets, with him being the next pet. When the owner came back he decided to kill him and then a representative of Real Account asked him to become a traitor for the game]]
* DeadlyGame: One where one's survival depends on the number of followers he has. If the participant dies in the course of the game, he will dies in the real world, with his followers dying alongside him. If his following count drops to zero, the participant dies alone.
* EpicFail: Yuuma's "Ultimate Derpface!" during the Re-ACA's Live Broadcast. [[spoiler:Not that we get to see it.]] Also, Ayame explaining moss to the viewers.
* HonorRelatedAbuse / IHaveNoSon: A wealthy businessman can be seen in chapter 1 saying "He was a worthless son. It's no big deal."
* HumansAreBastards: What the game's host, Marble, seems to set out to prove.
* OneHitKill: Yuuma and Ayame are alive because they follow each other, if one of them decide to unfollow the other, s/he's dead. Because of that they don't want any other followers so they won't pull others down with them.
* OrdinaryHighSchoolStudent: The protagonists.
* PoliceAreUseless: '''Not one''' police officer appears onscreen, although it could be justified that they cannot handle the chaos, it is implied that they are also in on it.
* ScrewThisImOuttaHere!: Attempted. They... didn't get far.
* SplitPersonality: [[spoiler:Yuuma (actually Ataru) has a very psychopathic one.]]
* TheOnlyOneAllowedToDefeatYou: [[spoiler:Aiji to Ataru (actually Yuuma.)]]
-->[[spoiler:''"I'm begging you, don't let anyone besides me kill you, Kashiwagi Ataru!"'']]
* TwinSwitch: By Yuuma and Ataru.
* YaoiGenre: During the Re-ACA's Live Broadcast.
* YuriGenre: Same from above.
* YearX: Presumably, the manga is set in the year 20XX.