TwentyMinutesIntoTheFuture, Japan has been taken by storm by the social network [[TitleDrop Real Account]], commonly called "[=ReaAcc=]" by the populace. [=ReaAcc=] has become an ubiquitous part of the nation's culture, having combined all functions of other [=SNSs=] into one platform and received support from the government, businesses, and the public. The service has become an essential part of everyone's life, and naturally a big concern of many, if not all of its users, is the followers they accrue. The number of followers one possesses is critical to establishing an online standing.
Kashiwagi Ataru may be an OrdinaryHighSchoolStudent in real life, but on Real Account, he has over 1500 followers...he gained by falsifying information on his public profile. But hey, at least he's #4 in nationwide score rankings for "No Answer"!
For the most part, Ataru has no social life outside of Real Account. But his online presence garners him enough attention by the social network's creators for him to be whisked away with the ten thousand most popular users into cyberspace. There, he will have to compete in a [=ReaAcc-hosted=] death game televised across the country. The key to staying alive? Followers willing to put their lives on the line for the participants...and how many care enough to make the commitment?
!! Tropes in ''Real Account'' include:
* ActionGirl: Nanako.
* AllWomenAreDomsAllMenAreSubs: During the Re-ACA Live Broadcast.
* BloodsplatteredInnocents: [[spoiler:Ataru and Yuuma when they were kids.]]
* BystanderEffect: Largely in play and one of the biggest dangers present to the participants. Followers can opt out of following a player ''at any time,'' if they value their lives over his. It's incredibly evident in chapter 1, with people leaving others to die to save themselves and yet not associating their actions as contributing to murder. Considering that the creators intended for the game to be a social experiment, it's not surprising that this was invoked.
* CharactersDroppingLikeFlies: '''A LOT''' of people are introduced, gets a few lines in, then prompty drop like flies.
* ConvenientlyAnOrphan: Ataru and his sister Yuri's parents are shown to have died before the start of the series. How Ataru and Yuri get by is so far unexplained, other than evidently having a home and a mention that they are poor.
* DeadlyGame: One where one's survival depends on the number of followers he has. If the participant dies in the course of the game, he will dies in the real world, with his followers dying alongside him. If his following count drops to zero, the participant dies alone.
* EpicFail: Yuuma's "Ultimate Derpface!" during the Re-ACA's Live Broadcast. [[spoiler:Not that we get to see it.]] Also, Ayame explaining moss to the viewers.
* HonorRelatedAbuse / IHaveNoSon: A wealthy businessman can be seen in chapter 1 saying "He was a worthless son. It's no big deal."
* HumansAreBastards: What the game's host, Marble, seems to set out to prove.
* OneHitKill: Yuuma and Ayame are alive because they follow each other, if one of them decide to unfollow the other, s/he's dead. Because of that they don't want any other followers so they won't pull others down with them.
* OrdinaryHighSchoolStudent: The protagonists.
* PoliceAreUseless: '''Not one''' police officer appears onscreen, although it could be justified that they cannot handle the chaos, it is implied that they are also in on it.
* ScrewThisImOuttaHere!: Attempted. They... didn't get far.
* SplitPersonality: [[spoiler:Yuuma (actuallu Ataru) has a very psychopathic one.]]
* TheOnlyOneAllowedToDefeatYou: [[spoiler:Aiji to Ataru (actually Yuuma.)]]
-->[[spoiler:''"I'm begging you, don't let anyone besides me kill you, Kashiwagi Ataru!"'']]
* TwinSwitch: By Yuuma and Ataru.
* YaoiGenre: During the Re-ACA's Live Broadcast.
* YuriGenre: Same from above.
* YearX: Presumably, the manga is set in the year 20XX.