Sou Touma is an MIT-graduated-student who comes back to Japan because he wants to know how it feels to be a high school student. On the other hand, Mizuhara Kana is a strong girl who loves sports. Together, they work to solve the cases that happen around them.
Created by Motohirou Katou
Shows example of:
- Absent-Minded Professor: Deconstructed in one case. The case show you how bad the impact of Absent-Minded Professor can have toward people around him. It was so bad that to salvage the situation, Touma had to take the blame.
- Action Girl: Kana.
- Always Murder: Averted. There are great deal of cases like burglary, vandalism, thieving, fraud, even mistaken-for-two-timer-misundertanding case.
- Asshole Victim: A detective series is bound to have these, even though it's often subverted
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Touma's little sister. Definitely not played for laughs.
- Batman Gambit: Toma employs this at the climax of the first chapter. He bluffs the suspect by pouring liquid that he says could trace the culprit's name. The liquid is just water, but the suspect scrambles it out of fear, proving himself as the culprit. The bluff will falter if the suspect maintains his cool just a little bit longer, but as Toma says in the conclusion, only machines are completely controlled by logic.
- Brains and Brawn: Touma and Kana.
- Catch Phrase: Quod Erat Demonstratum
- Child Prodigy: Touma has a BS in Mathematics before the others even started high school.
- Church of Happyology: During one of Touma's flashbacks, District Attorney Annie Craner was assigned to prosecute a widower who is accused of murdering her husband so she can inherit his fortune to continue paying for the self-help cult-like group called "The Path to Arcadia", an organization she is a part of. As the trial continues, the group sends death threats to Annie, protest against her and accuse the prosecution of a Witch Hunt. Then one of the widow's friend, an old lady, shoots her when the case is about to be finished. She seemingly was killed. Well, not. It got stranger from there, with her father involved.
- Crossover: Twice with C.M.B. . Shinra is Touma's cousin, cementing the fact that the mangas are in one canon.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: But recent development has shown otherwise....
- It Runs in the Family: His sister is a linguist Cloudcuckoolander, his parents are renowned archeologists. His teenage cousin is also the holder of the CMB Rings, and a curator in a museum.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: Loki was very lonely until Touma showed up.
- Improbable Age: Touma, the 14 years old MIT graduate.
- Kendo Team Captain: Kana, despite being a girl, really counts.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy
- Mind Screw: In Chapter 38 where the bosses of Shanghai mafia kill each other. According to the witness, the last boss killed is murdered by the first boss killed. The truth is, Toma's friend, Hu Jia Hui, has feigned the death of the first boss in order to incite a Cycle of Revenge that destroys the mafia. Then who kills Hu in the end?
- Mistaken for Murderer: Second case. Which is completely Played for Laughs since every person involved thought that their loved ones was the one who kill the Jerk Ass debitor, and as result, involved in Zany Scheme to protect the "suspect", while in reality, it was completely an accident.Spoiler
- Non-Action Guy: Touma, so much. But that doesn't mean he's a complete wimp, though.
- No Social Skills: As a result, Touma often incidentally angers other people, but that's because he just doesn't know any better. Kana helps him get over it, though.
- Onsen Episode: Subverted in the fact that it while the lands had an onsen, there was a murder and they went there to translate documents. They never got a chance to get into the onsen itself.
- Renaissance Man: Touma is one. Let's see... BS in Mathematics from MIT before enrolling in a Japanese High School, knowledgeable in (at least) Physics, Biology, History, Geography; fluent in at least English, Japanese, German, Spain...
- The Plan: Employed by Touma and the villains alike.
- Shown Their Work
- They Fight Crime
- Viewers Are Geniuses: This is probably why it took so long to get scanlated, since many of the terms are just too... advanced for someone who didn't take university.
- For example, he can have a casual conversation on Quantum Mechanics. You know, the thing Stephen Hawking is working on.
- The Watson: Kana plays this role, but rare for the genre, Kana is shown to be able to pretty easily follow Toumas train of thought and often helps solve the case just as much as Touma does.
- Even then, that's because Touma takes time to explain things to Kana (he figured out she will be more helpful if she gets what she was doing) and even then, sometimes if the explanation involved advanced science (like mathematic, for example)... yeah.