Ricalna and Turkes
"This fleeting golden age has ended, and has become nothing more than a dream. People have begun to search for the next dream. Peace... Searching for a steady life... and just a bit of hapiness... For the sake of these things, people have begun to move. Despite this, the war continues."Mother Keeper
is a shounen action drama manga with some sci-fi and slight comedy by Sorano Kaili, who was also the author of Monochrome Factor
. The manga was serialised in Blade Comics from around 2006 to 2014
The manga takes place in and around the city of Eden, which is closed off from the rest of the world. With in Eden, it is a total paradise. However, Eden isn't big enough for everyone, and some people are forced to live in what is a near wasteland outside it. People in the slums of the outside are finding that Eden is making their lives worse and attempt to form resistance groups. Ricalna Forde is a member of one of the groups known as COSMOS and their goal is to take down Eden's central CPU which controls Eden.
This manga provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Syal and Lennard.
- Ambiguously Gay: Zelik and Silas both come across as this, especially with the way Silas talks to Zelik (though he is supposed to be suggesting entering him as a fighter in an illegal deathring)
- Art Evolution: Sorano Kaili's art improves a ridiculous amount.
- Artificial Limbs: Zelik gains a new arm eventually, though it doesn't seem to make him that much more powerful.
- Asshole Victim: Silas
- Author Appeal: Graham and Zelik seem to be this as, in one of their previous works, Sorano Kaili mentioned preferring older men (but not beeing able to draw them), also for younger Zelik as there were mentions towards his good-looks.
- Beard of Evil: Graham.
- Bishōnen: Lint, Ricalna and Zelik when he was younger.
- Black Market: The Cocytus.
- Blasting it out of Their Hands: During Graham and Lint's fight, Graham manages to do this to stop him killing Lennard.
- Bloodier and Gorier: As of volume 8, though there was some gore before that.
- Blood Knight: Turkes
- Boom headshot: Graham saved Zelik's life by managing to shoot his would-be executor just in time.
- He later did this to Silas, too.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Syal is this in a way when she enters insanity mode.
- Break the Cutie: Syal's backstory.
- Children are Innocent
- Child Soldiers: Most of Cosmos appear to be in their teens-early 20s.
- Combat sadomasochist: Turkes Verafoult.
- Cool old guy: Graham Gregson and Zelik Lindemann
- Crapsack World
- Cry into Chest: Towards the end of Hunter part 2, Graham catches the injured Zelik just before he collapses and Zelik starts crying into his chest while Graham pets his hair.◊
- Cyborg: All the mother keepers and Turkes
- Domed Hometown: Eden is within a dome.
- Dumbass Teenage Son: Ricalna didn't even realise it made perfect sense for Graham and Zelik to work together even though they're basically best friends.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Mother
- Emotionless Girl: Mother
- Family-Unfriendly Death: Allen and Silas as well as two kids seen briefly get particularly unfriendly deaths.
- Family-Unfriendly Violence: By chapter 2 you'll be seeing the insides of guy's chests. The blood and gore gets progressively more and more serious.
- Fanservice: Mostly in early chapters, Syal and Jim are used to attempt fanservice but later it seems to progress more towards getting the guys shirtless.
- Fiery Coverup: Graham does this after killing Silas
- Friend in the black market: Zelik to Graham and Silas.
- The Future
- Grey and Gray morality
- Handicapped Badass: Zelik has one eye and one arm but it's a stupid idea to mess with him as he seems capable of punching a cyborg to death.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Graham and Zelik have known each other for around 30 years and are still going strong. Graham has saved Zelik's life and Zelik seems to be the only person to ever get a discount at Zelik's shop.
- Hot Scientist: Jim
- Ignore the Fanservice: After Jim recovers from Syal stabbing her, she offers to show Ricalna the scar on his stomach. Ricalna makes it very clear he isn't interested
- Kick Chick: Syal is partially this though she does appear to vary in styles from fight to fight.
- Lady of War: Syal
- Leave No Witnesses: When the real Graham Gregson was killed, Graham made sure to kill any witnesses and Graham Gregson's entire family, sparing no one.
- He later does this again, he kills everyone working for Silas before killing Silas himself.
- Lights off Somebody Dies: Final part of Hunter, lights go off and suddenly everyone working for Silas drops dead.
- Little Miss Badass: Syal and Lennard to an extent.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Ricalna and Lint.
- Luminescent Blush: Ricalna in chapter 1 when Graham pats his head.
- Mad Scientist: Adam
- Master Computer: Mother
- Mistaken for Gay: Turkes when him and Ricalna first meet. Though in the next few chapters, Turkes's feelings towards Ricalna seem to be a little less than heterosexual.
- Multiple gunshot death: Lint
- Mysterious Past: Zelik's life before the Cocytus seems to be so mysterious that even Graham, who's known him for 30 years, doesn't know anything about it. Lint as well, he's mentioned to be a dangerous serial killer, his wife got mad at him for being apathetic and died in a big case. We know nothing about the specifics.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Turkes, at least when it comes to Ricalna. He has their noses touching at every oppurtunity.
- Non action guy: Lint, he acts like he's a great fighter but he very rarely actually does anything to help and seems to just act like he's helpful.
- Older than They Look: Jim, Adam, Turkes and Lint are all this. Lint and Turkes are both cyborgs so it's understandable why they haven't aged, however Jim would presumably be about 60-70 if she made Lint yet she doesn't look older than her 30s. Turkes makes a mention to the fact he's known Adam 20 years and he hasn't aged at all either
- Parental Favoritism: Graham seems to slightly favour Lennard as he is more likely to protect her during fights, while Ricalna was thrown in with a group who were expected to die.
- Platonic Life Partners: Syal and Ricalna, Ricalna mentions seeing her as being like a sister to him and is willing to be there for her like he would with Lennard.
- Prison Rape: Silas threatens Zelik with this.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Silas is revealed to have red eyes in Volume 7.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: In the third part of Hunter, Graham decides to get revenge for what Silas did to Zelik, including shutting all the lights off, murdering everyone in the building, shooting Silas in the leg, standing on his chest and eventually shooting him in the head. He then sets the building alight.
- Robot Girl: Syal
- Safety in Indifference: Graham attempts to claim this, whether it's true or not can be debatable.
- Scars are Forever: Zelik suffered chemical burns to the right side of his face, causing the loss of his eye and ear when Silas tortured him, having mistaken him for a rat. Graham also has three scars on his face.
- Schmuck Bait: Ricalna walks right in to the world's most obvious trap in chapter 1, he even mentions it to possibly be a trap, before continuing on.
- The Scrounger: Zelik.
- Serial killer: Lint and Graham.
- Smoking is Cool: Zelik and Jim are both shown to be smoking endless cigarettes every time we see them.
- The Sociopath: Silas and Allen.
- Stalker with a crush: Allen to Syal when she was a slave fighting in the deathring. Allen went out of his way to kidnap the person closest to her and force them to kill each other because he was so interested in her fighting.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: To most people, Jim is confident and snarky, Ricalna thinks she's a complete jerk. Syal, however, is use to Jim being kind to her, a side Ricalna only sees after he helps Syal.
- Terrorists without a cause: Turkes and Chaos Tide, Turkes seems to fight for no reason other than killing.
- Threw My Bike on the Roof: While not a jerkass, Ricalna quite literally drives a motorbike through the roof of the Cocytus and then leaves the mess for the poor people working there to deal with themselves, not even offering to pay for the damages.
- Underestimating Badassery: Zelik is a man in his 50s, he's short and disabled, but underestimating him will be the biggest mistake of your life. Proven by the time Syal made this mistake and narrowly avoided death.
- Unwilling Roboticisation: Ricalna gets turned into a cyborg so he can help the people he's meant to be fighting.
- Syal is turned into a cyborg after Jim misunderstands her pleas for Elsa to be saved and is pretty upset about it to begin with. She eventually comes to appreciate what Jim did for her.
- White-Haired Pretty Boy: Ricalna
- World's Strongest Man: No one wants to get in a fight with Zelik if they value their lives.
- Would Hurt a Child: Turkes will kill children without a second thought.
- Would Hit a Girl: It's mostly girls doing all the fighting.