Noel Minamino has a sister complex, and does not take it well when his twin sister Maria transfers to a boarding school to pursue a boy. Noel promptly decides to go after her
, and is not stopped by trivialities such as the only free space being in the girls' dorms. After all, it only takes the right wig
for him to very convincingly pass for Maria's twin "sister". Hilarity Ensues
, of course. The story follows Noel as he struggles with his life as a girl, befriends the popular Ryuiji Sasa and tries to figure out the mysteries of his roomate Miyu Makimura. Meanwhile, Maria is struggling with her love life. Created by Wataru Yoshizumi
of Marmalade Boy
This series provides examples of:
- All Take and No Give: Akira, to Yoshiaki
- Attractive Bent-Gender: And love confessions from other guys.
- Butt Monkey: Chris
- Confirmed Bachelor: Well, the middle school version of such. Sasa infamously "doesn't like girls", has no interest in dating, and turns down every girl who confesses. By the end, he is a Deconfirmed Bachelor
- Cute Sports Club Manager: Noel becomes this to the basketball club.
- Disguised in Drag: The premise of the story.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: Maria
- First Girl Wins: Miyu
- Forgotten First Meeting: How a five year old Sasa met Noel and Maria. It's used as a joke, and none of the involved realise that it's them since he never realised they were two different persons.
- Enter Stage Window: Miyu
- Green-Eyed Epiphany: Noel and later Miyu, both towards each other.
- Half-Identical Twins
- Half Truth: Noel isn't lying when "she" claims that she likes women.
- He-Man Woman Hater/Does Not Like Women: Sasa's "first love" left a bad impression.
- Imaginary Love Triangle: Sasa/Noel/Chris
- In Love with Love: The source of much of Maria's problems.
- Innocent Cohabitation: Noel and Miyu
- Invented Individual: Noel spends some time posing as "cousin Tohru".
- Last Confession Wins: Sasa, to Maria
- Last Minute Hook Up: Maria and Sasa. Miyu also takes Noel back in the very last chapter.
- Liar Revealed: Noel to Miyu.
- Locked Out of the Loop: Miyu, in regards to Noel's gender. She takes it badly when it DOES come out, and it gets worse when she realises that Maria and Sasa have been playing along.
- Long-Lost Relative: Miyu's father married his sister-in-law who had a son from her previous marriage - Sasa. So her father is also his step-father, and they're cousin by their mothers.
- Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places: Maria
- Love Before First Sight: Yoshiaki
- Love Cannot Overcome: When Miyu discovers that "Tohru" is Noel because Noel is a boy, she dumps him. She forgives him, but won't be his girlfriend any longer.
- Love Hurts: Maria
- Loves My Alter Ego: Self-inflicted. Noel can't let Miyu know that he's a boy, so he starts dating her as a boy, explaining that he is Noel's cousin Tohru.
- The Masquerade Will Kill Your Dating Life: It is difficult to pick up girls when you're pretending to be one.
- Mistaken for Cheating: Happens to both Noel and Maria
- Mistaken For Romance/ Official Couple: Noel and Sasa are widely assumed to be dating.
- Moment Killer: Several
- Multi-Ethnic Name: Maria and Noel Minamino.
- My Sister Is Off Limits: Noel abandons this when he sees how happy Maria is with her boyfriend.
- Oblivious to Love: A lot, mostly thanks to the crossdressing.
- Odd Friendship: Sasa, captain on the basketball team, and Noel, a guy attending school as a girl.
- Old-Fashioned Rowboat Date
- Old Flame Fizzle: Maria and Yoshiaki
- Rescue Romance: Sasa and Maria have a mild case of this
- The Rival: Chris to Sasa. Sasa thinks it's ridiculous.
- Romantic False Lead: When Sasa thinks that Maria is going back to her ex, he demands that Noel comes with him to Harajuku to pick up girls. He finds one, too.
- Samaritan Relationship Starter: Sasa comforting Maria after Daisuke breaks up with her
- Third Love: Sasa, to Maria.
- Secret Chaser: Chris, Karin
- Secret Keeper: Sasa, that one lady on the board, Miyu and Karin
- Secret Secret Keeper: Kanako
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Maria repeatedly. All three of her boyfriends are Nice Guys.
- Sorry, I'm Gay: Though Noel is probably not aware of just what he's implying by explaining that he likes girls while he is also pretending to be one.
- Status Quo Is God: When Maria no longer has a reason to stay at the new school, the twins discuss going back to the old one so that Noel no longer needs to crossdress. They decide against it. When the story ends, Noel is still disguised as a girl.
- They Do: Maria and Sasa
- Twin De Synch: The source of Noel's angst.
- Twin Switch: Maria and Noel substitute for the other on different occasions.
- Two Guys and a Girl: Noel, Maria and Sasa.
- Unrequited Love Switcheroo: Akira and Yoshiaki
- Unsettling Gender-Reveal
- When She Smiles: Miyu