Manga: Mangaka-san To Assistant-san To
Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to
(Or just simply The Comic Artist and his Assistants
) is a gag manga about a mangaka named Aito Yuuki and his long suffering female assistant Ashisu Sahoto as the two try to make their deadlines and keep his manga afloat. The thing is though, Aito is a huge
pervert and more often then not his libido prevents him from doing his work properly, forcing Ashisu and Yuuki's editor, Otosuna Mihari to try and keep his mind on task. Hilarity Ensues
as a result.
After the original series ended, it was followed by a sequel which focuses on Ashisu, having finally gained her own serialization, getting her own assistant. However Aito isn't willing to part with her just yet.
Can be read here
And the sequel here
This manga provides the following tropes:
- Abuse Is Okay When It Is Female on Male: Lampshaded in one chapter when Aito's new student is absolutely horrified and terrified by Otosuna beating the crap out of Aito. Otosuna basically tries to use this trope as her excuse and to assure said student that she'd never be beaten.
- A-Cup Angst: Both Ashisu and Otosuna are highly concerned about it during the shower scene with Rinna.
- Otosuna moreso than Ashisu. It doesn't help that she is easily the flattest of the three.
- Also doesn't help that Aito unintentionally reminds her from time to time.
- Bad Liar: Aito will often, if not always, lie with a Suspiciously Specific Denial. In which it will immediately get shot down.
- Beleaguered Assistant: Ashisu
- Beady-Eyed Loser: Meisei
- Bishōnen: Probably not a complete bishonen but, as pointed out in Tamako's introduction chapter, Aito actually does have above average looks, but its his personality that's holding him back. This might explain why the girls are willing to put up with him... okay, not really.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: To an extent. Aito may be an absolute pervert, but Ashisu and Otosuna both begrudgingly admit they like his manga.
- The 'To an extent' part really only goes that far. His manga is frequently on the lower half of the rankings. Then again, many people who have appeared have admitted that they like it, and it also has a large and dedicated fan-base despite it's ranking; Aito seems to be an Almighty Janitor when it comes to manga.
- The series itself points out in one chapter that Aito being in the lower half of the rankings is still a pretty decent accomplishment. For all the criticism Ashisu gives him about how he should write his manga, when she submits her own, it doesn't even make the runner up list.
- Super-Assistant Sena could also count as one, as she works at exorbitant rates and only then if she's in the mood. But she is really good at drawing at insane speeds.
- It's also been shown that Aito is actually brilliant when he has the right motivation, managing to create a second manga with consistently high popularity (burning himself out in the process) when he thought that maintaining his popularity would allow him to create his own harem.
- Meisei chases away any and all assistants he gets leaving himself to handle everything, including extra projects, alone. Despite this his quality has apparently never slipped, he doesn't request extensions to his deadlines, and consistently holds the number two rank in popularity.
- Butt Monkey: Aito, do you really need to ask any more?
- Captain Ersatz: Aito's manga is part of a whole sub-genre of panty fanservice manga, but it bears the most resemblance to Ichigo 100% (a scene Aito's drawing of a boy asking the girl he likes to lift her skirt and show him her panties is drawn almost identically to a similar scene in the other manga). Whether this is a Shout-Out or a Take That isn't quite clear.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Aito's probably the biggest pervert you'll ever know/read about(even to the point of making a manga based on his perversion) but even he knows when to draw the line.
- Christmas Cake: Konno Ichika. Her popularity is her Achilles' Heel in this area: once normal men find out about how successful she's been as a mangaka, they feel that they're not worthy enough to marry her.
- Cuteness Proximity: Ashisu
- Completely Missing the Point: Aito and Rinna often invoke this, often making people unsure of how to react to their many antics.
- Deadpan Snarker: Ashisu is often this in her thoughts.
- Dope Slap: Otosuna to Aito if not a Megaton Punch.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Aoi, which combined with his sexuality, made for some confusing times with Aito.
- Gag Series
- Genki Girl: Tamako is most certainly one. So much so that it shows in her manga, and is also the name of the chapter she's introduced in.
- Genre Blind: Aito 95% of the time.
- Harem Seeker: Aito, not like he'll have luck getting one.
- Well he does...somewhat. A few are willing fans of his, others are just girls who aquatint with him for the sake of work.
- Hot-Blooded: Tsurameki. The chapters in which he appears are appropriately named such.
- Hypocritical Humor: Any time Aito calls someone out for being perverted. For example.
- I'm Taking Her Home with Me!: Aito wants to take Minano home but Ashisu doesn't let that happen.
- Keet: Aito
- Large Ham: Aito again, specifically when panties are involved.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Aito is a textbook example.
- Megaton Punch: Aito is frequently on the receiving end of these, courtesy of Mihari when a Dope Slap just isn't enough.
- No Indoor Voice: Tsurameki, by the buckets.
- Aito too, when he gets especially hammy.
- Not What It Looks Like: Aito sometimes has this happen when Otosuna catches him in what she thinks is perverted actions.
- Older Than They Look: Super-Assistant Sena is an adult, but looks like she's about twelve or thirteen. EIC Minano is actually a fair bit older than Sena, and looks like she's around eight.
- Panty Shot: Aito is obsessed with this in that his main manga just seem to consist of nothing but these.
- Pet the Dog: After Aito gets worried that he wouldn't get any chocolates on Valentines due to his perverted antics, and even fearing they would all leave him, apologizes to them profusely on sight. It then turns out everyone of them got him obligatory chocolates, which he tearfully accepts.
- Punny Name: More than a few readers have noticed Ashisu-san's name is quite similar to the japanese pronounciation of assistant.note
- Serious Business: Panties are serious business for Aito.
- Shameless Self-Promoter: Literally. Aito goes out in the streets in one chapter to shamelessly promote his manga's first volume by passing out free panties.
- Course Truth in Television. If your manga hasn't gotten an anime yet, you need all the promotion you can get.
- Shana Clone: Sena.
- Ship Tease: Despite the fact that Aito is surrounded by girls all the time, ship tease is somewhat rare. Aito/Mihari gets this the most though. Rinna probably comes in second, and Sena has had a moment or two as well. And then there's Aito/Aoi and Aito/Meisei.
- Chapter 112 shows that the person most suitable to get together with Ichika is Meisei. Said chapter becomes a foreshadowing for what happens in chapter 138.Then it goes to hell in chapter 140
- Straight Gay: Aoi
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: Aito, beyond all reasoning and logic, almost got convinced marry Aoi. Tsurameki also was convinced he had to marry Aoi, thanks to amisunderstanding and the discussion that followed.
- Sugar And Ice Girl: Ashisu
- Sweet Tooth: Chief Editor Minano is rarely seen without eating something sweet.
- The Power of Friendship: Aito uses this frequently to beat Meisei, who despite his skill, has no friends whatsoever.
- Troll: Cheif Editor Minano frequently does this to Mihari. Trolling seems to be her favorite past time as a huge list could be made with chapter 120 alone.
- Tsundere: Several the most notable among them being Aito's super assistant Kuroi Sena, Mihari, and Meisei. Tsurameki is one as well for Mihari.
- Verbal Tic: Tamako's "Nya/Nyo".
- Write Who You Know: Ashisu finally gets her own manga by drawing one based off her own experience with Aito.
- Tsurameki ends up making a manga based on Mihari. Once it gets pointed out to him how obvious it is, he destroys it.
- Yonkoma: Alternates between this and full page manga in the early chapters. Later chapters stay with the latter.