How misfortunate... How misfortunate... And so I will grant you... Magical Power
A relatively new manga by Sato Kentaro, who brought you Mahou Shoujo of the End
Aya Asagiri is a very misfortunate
girl. Every day she is viciously bullied at school, only to come home and get beaten up by her older brother, Kaname. After a particularly vicious day, an image of a strange girl shows up on her computer and offers her 'Magical Power'. Before she knows what she is doing, she clicks yes. The next day a pink, toy looking gun shows up in her school locker. It isn't too long before she has to use it, with bloody results...
Watching from the shadows is Aya's mysterious classmate Yatsumura Tsuyuno. She claims to want Aya as an ally, but can she be trusted?
Expect more chaos to ensue.
Tropes depicted in this work
- Art-Style Dissonance: Has a very cutesy art style. But there's so much blood...
- Attempted Rape: Sarina and her Gang Of Bullies try to set up an older classmate to 'take Aya's first time'. It ends badly for him.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Nijimi, the Idol Singer of the hit band, Dog's Play. She's very goofy and her character doesn't seem to fit with the dark tone of the manga, which annoys Yatsumura. It's then revealed that her power is Mind Control, she has several of her fans working for her as servants, and that she plans to kill Shioi for murdering her best friend, who was also chosen by the Mahou Shoujo Site.
- Big Brother Bully: Kaname, who relieves stress over studying by punching and strangling Aya.
- TheBullies: Sarina and her two goons, Erika and Kawano.
- Cast From Life Span: Every time a magical girl uses her stick, her life span is shortened. This leads to Shioi having the organs of a 70-year-old.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: How Yatsumura deals with the man who murdered her family and threatened to come back for her.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Yatsumura's comment that 'No one is home' foreshadows this. Several years before she was found by the Mahou Shoujo Site, she had an ordinary, happy life until one night, a burglar came in and murdered her entire family (father, mother, and unborn sibling because her mother was pregnant at the time). The burglar found where she was hiding and told her not to tell the police, threatening to come back and find her when he got out of prison. And then threatens to come find her again even if she doesn't tell. She spends the next few years of her life in fear that he'll come back. Until she is chosen by the site and given her stick. In which case...
- Dark Magical Girl: Shioi, and possibly Yatsumura.
- Education Papa: Aya and Kaname's father does voice his opinion about wanting Kaname to suceed, but so far his behavior does nothing to justify Kaname treatment of Aya at all.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Each magical girl is represented by a shape. Whenever she uses her powers, her pupils will change into that shape; in addition, the shape will also appear as a "gauge" on her arm that lets her know how much magic she can use until her lifespan finally runs out.
- Aya: Hearts
- Yatsumura: Crescent moons
- Shioi: Stars note
- Nijimi: Spades
- Fragile Flower: Due to being constantly bullied and abused, Aya is almost always cowering and whimpering nervously.
- Idol Singer: Nijimi Anazawa, another magical girl, is this.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Sarina, Kawano and Erika spend the first chapter making Aya's life a living hell. Erika and the guy she tried to have rape Aya end up run over by a train after Aya defends herself. Sarina ends up slashing her own throat when Yatsumura intervenes in her attack on Aya. Kawano believes that Aya cursed all of them for bullying her and is paranoid that she is next.
- Magic Wand: All magical girls have "sticks" that they use to wield their powers. They can take the form of a gun, a camera, a phone, a hammer, etc.
- Misanthrope Supreme: Yatsumura
''Disgusting people. Snide people. People you hate. Annoying people. People who break the law. People who jeer at others. Violent people. Overly proud people. People who have no sense of morality. People who trouble others. People who hurt others for their own desires. People who threaten others. Once you become aware of others harming you, you should just eliminate them all.
- Mood-Swinger: Nijimi. One minute, she's all cute smiles, the next minute she keeps repeating how she plans to kill Shioi, and then she's all smiles again.
- Nightmare Face
- Powers in the First Episode: At the end of the first chapter, Aya demonstrates her teleporting ability.
- Psychic Nosebleed: Because using magical powers shortens one's lifespan, this almost always happens after a magical girl uses her powers.
- Stepford Smiler: Nijimi has the persona of an adorably energetic and innocent young girl, but it seems to be a facade to mask just how messed up she really is on the inside.
- Time Master / Time Stands Still: Yatsumura's stick has the ability to freeze time.