How misfortunate... How misfortunate... And so I will grant you... Magical Power
A relatively new manga by Sato Kentaro, who brought you Mahou Shoujo of the End
Aya Asagiri is a very misfortunate
girl. Every day she is viciously bullied at school, only to come home and get beaten up by her older brother, Kaname. After a particularly vicious day, an image of a strange girl shows up on her computer and offers her 'Magical Power'. Before she knows what she is doing, she clicks yes. The next day a pink, toy looking gun shows up in her school locker. It isn't too long before she has to use it, with bloody results...
Watching from the shadows is Aya's mysterious classmate Yatsumura Tsuyuno. She claims to want Aya as an ally, but can she be trusted?
Expect more chaos to ensue.
Tropes depicted in this work
- A God Am I: In his POV chapter, Kaname says that he thinks he might actually be a God and views everyone else as inferior.
- Art-Style Dissonance: Has a very cutesy art style. But there's so much blood...
- Attempted Rape: Sarina and her Gang of Bullies try to set up an older classmate to 'take Aya's first time'. It ends badly for him.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Nijimi, the Idol Singer of the hit band, Dog's Play. She's very goofy and her character doesn't seem to fit with the dark tone of the manga, which annoys Yatsumura. It's then revealed that her power is Mind Control, she has several of her fans working for her as servants, and that she plans to kill Shioi for murdering her best friend, who was also chosen by the Mahou Shoujo Site.
- Big Brother Bully: Kaname, who relieves stress over studying by punching and strangling Aya.
- Bland-Name Product: Gougle instead of Google.
- The Bullies: Sarina and her two goons, Erika and Kawano.
- Cast From Life Span: Every time a magical girl uses her stick, her life span is shortened. This leads to Shioi having the organs of a 70-year-old.
- Cluster F-Bomb: With the exception of Aya, pretty much all the characters have extremely filthy mouths.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: How Yatsumura deals with the man who murdered her family and threatened to come back for her.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Yatsumura's comment that 'No one is home' foreshadows this. Several years before she was found by the Mahou Shoujo Site, she had an ordinary, happy life until one night, a burglar came in and murdered her entire family (father, mother, and unborn sibling because her mother was pregnant at the time). The burglar found where she was hiding and told her not to tell the police, threatening to come back and find her when he got out of prison. And then threatens to come find her again even if she doesn't tell. She spends the next few years of her life in fear that he'll come back. Until she is chosen by the site and given her stick. In which case...
- Dark Magical Girl: Shioi, and possibly Yatsumura.
- Declaration of Protection: In chapter 15 and 16, after Sarina attempts to attack Aya and a weakened Yatsumura.
"I don't care what happens to my body... Even if my body breaks apart... I will definitely... Protect Yatsumura-san!"
- Devil in Plain Sight: Kaname appears to be this to everyone around him. Yatsumura even calls him a 'hottie'. Subverted in that she was joking with Aya, and says 'It's been awhile since I've seen a shady shitface like him'.
- Education Papa: Aya and Kaname's father does voice his opinion about wanting Kaname to suceed, but so far his behavior does nothing to justify Kaname treatment of Aya at all.
- Later chapters show him punching Kaname for not getting a perfect score on his mock exam, and Kaname believes he is so hard on him because he didn't get in a good university and is grooming Kaname to do the same. It still doesn't justify Kaname's torture of his sister, although it does explain it.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Kaname has a dark and Pragmatic Villainy standard. Sure he ruthlessly uses her younger sister has a punching bag, but he needs her alive. When Aya is taken to the hospital, he says to himself that he'll cry if she ever died.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Each magical girl is represented by a shape. Whenever she uses her powers, her pupils will change into that shape; in addition, the shape will also appear as a "gauge" on her arm that lets her know how much magic she can use until her lifespan finally runs out.
- Aya: Hearts
- Yatsumura: Crescent moons
- Shioi: Stars note
- Nijimi: Spades
- Sarina: The Greek letter phi
- Extreme Doormat: Aya.
- Foil: Surprisingly, Aya and her brother, Kaname are this due to being victims of domestic abuse. The only difference is that one is willing to make others suffer for stress relief while the other tries to endure it until finding someone who cares.
- Fragile Flower: Due to being constantly bullied and abused, Aya is almost always cowering and whimpering nervously.
- His Name Is...: All the freaking time. Generally, if someone's about to reveal some important information, expect them to get interrupted in some way. It gets pretty ridiculous at times.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: After rapidly using her stick to slice apart Aya and Yatsumura, not only does she not, but she makes the condo collapse below them.
- Hypocrite: After Aya's Declaration of Protection above, Sarina calls her a homicidal hypocrite, and says Aya is just playing the victim after killing her friends, conviently forgetting that the only reason her friends are dead is because one of them attempted to rape Aya. Aya calls her out on this.
- Genre Savvy: Yatsumura knew that someone like Nijimi might kill their source of information, so she sets up everything to keep everyone important alive.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: The murderer of Yatsumura's family, in very rare instance of being sliced vertically by the side, by Sarina's new power.
- Idol Singer: Nijimi Anazawa, another magical girl, is this.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: Kaname sees a man about to commit suicide and stops him, but only because if he died, he'd probably be seen as a suspect since he was there with him at the time. If it hadn't been for that, he wouldn't have even lifted a finger to help.
- Killer Yoyo: Sarina's Magic Stick is this. It has an Absurdly Sharp Blade, including an invisible one with in a large circle.
- Lack of Empathy: Sarina. After Aya calls her out on being so cruel to her and asking if she even wondered how she felt, Sarina's response is that she doesn't give a shit how she feels, that just looking at her makes her sick, and she thinks Aya would be better off dead.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Sarina, Kawano and Erika spend the first chapter making Aya's life a living hell. Erika and the guy she tried to have rape Aya end up run over by a train after Aya defends herself. Sarina ends up slashing her own throat when Yatsumura intervenes in her attack on Aya. Kawano believes that Aya cursed all of them for bullying her and is paranoid that she is next.
- Magic Wand: All magical girls have "sticks" that they use to wield their powers. They can take the form of a gun, a camera, a phone, a hammer, etc.
- Manipulative Bitch: Sarina knows Nijimin wants to kill Shioi and, in a blackmail sense, gives her the information she needs. Fortunately, Yatsumura took precautions about this.
- Misanthrope Supreme: Yatsumura
''Disgusting people. Snide people. People you hate. Annoying people. People who break the law. People who jeer at others. Violent people. Overly proud people. People who have no sense of morality. People who trouble others. People who hurt others for their own desires. People who threaten others. Once you become aware of others harming you, you should just eliminate them all.
- Also Kaname.
- The Sociopath: Kaname is this almost to a tee, lacking only overt manipulative tendencies.
- Mood-Swinger: Nijimi. One minute, she's all cute smiles, the next minute she keeps repeating how she plans to kill Shioi, and then she's all smiles again.
- Nightmare Face
- Nice Girl: No matter how bad she's beaten, Aya always remains gentle.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Once she gains her powers, she uses them in self-defense. And it helps quite a lot.
- Powers in the First Episode: At the end of the first chapter, Aya demonstrates her teleporting ability.
- Psychic Nosebleed: Because using magical powers shortens one's lifespan, this almost always happens after a magical girl uses her powers.
- Reality Ensues: Two on consecutive chapters. First, repeatedly using a weapon that cuts anything at a long range will mean even the fighting ground you're standing on will be shredded apart and collapse. Second, which the first supports, just because the fighting ground is in a single room doesn't there won't be casualties nearby. And that's not good when that ground is an inhabited multi-story condo.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: After Sarina calls Aya a hypocrite, Aya delivers this in response:
"The one playing the victim here is you! All this time, you kept doing cruel things to me! All this time, I had to bear the suffering! You killed my heart a long, long time ago! But I didn't have the courage to kill myself, so I endured the suffering each and every day! Have you considered my feelings!? Even once!? I'm alive, but I think about dying every day! Do you know how that feels!?"
- Shioi keeps a "Slaughter Note", which as the list of all the magical girls she intends to kill.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: When Sarina shows up at Yatsumura's home, talking about how she plans to make her and Aya suffer, Yatsumura calls her a dumb bitch and tells her that she brought all that happened on herself.
- Aya later delivers one hell of a speech on what a heinous bitch she is.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Kaname considers himself better than everyone else around him and thinks he might be God. This is a mask he wears against his abusive inferiority with his dad.
- Stepford Smiler: Nijimi has the persona of an adorably energetic and innocent young girl, but it seems to be a facade to mask just how messed up she really is on the inside.
- The Stoic: Yatsumura always has the same bored expression on her face.
- Not So Stoic: However, she does like to joke with Aya, and when the situation is dire, expect her to get serious.
- Stupid Evil: There are many cruel people out there, but a few of them can be considered stupid.
- Shioi. She may be the infamous "Magical Hunter", but Yatsumura clearly lampshades that she's too stupid to use her powers correctly.
- Sarina can also be considered this. After Erika gets killed, she blames Aya (Which is true, but not intentional) and threatens to scar her completely. Cue Yastumura coming to save the day and turn the razor back at her in the form of attempted suicide. Her other friend Kawano has become smart enough not bother Aya anymore.
- Time Master / Time Stands Still: Yatsumura's stick has the ability to freeze time.
- X Meets Y: Puella Magi Madoka Magica meets Death Note.