Manga: Magical Nyan Nyan Taruto
Magical Nyan Nyan Taruto is a Seinen Magical Girl Manga and Shoujo Anime.The manga was created by Kaishaku and published by Shueisha and Ultra Jump magazine, with an original run between 2001 and 2003 totaling in three volumes. The anime was published at roughly the same time by studio Madhouse and directed by Tsukasa Sunaga, spanned twelve episodes and ran from July to September, 2001.Both incarnations follow a race of pet cats, drawn as Catgirls and the occasional Catboy. The story observes the exploits of the humanized magical pet cats as they interact with each other, their owners and the world around them.Taruto is a little cat who has just moved to a new city with her master's family. She spends her days making friends and exploring her new hometown, and also has a knack for getting herself into trouble. And it turns out that Taruto just might be a legendary magical princess.Almost none of Taruto’s friends believe that she can use magic or that she’s a princess, but Taruto is determined to prove it to them.
This series contains examples of:
- Cat Girl: The female cats.
- Cats Are Magic
- Cleavage Window: Chiffon.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Iori.
- Crazy Cat Lady: Anzuko is younger than most, but definitely crazy.
- Cute Witch: Taruto.
- Edible Theme Naming: Chiffon, Pie A La Mode, Okashino-machi ('candy town'), Jelly Beans, Nougat, Candy, Chips, Nachos, ..
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Taruto is convinced she's one. She is the long-lost princess of the cat world.
- Fantastic Arousal: Taruto gets rather flustered when Chitose pets her tail.
- Girlish Pigtails: Anzuko, to emphasize her childish behavior.
- Hime Cut: Chitose, in keeping with her "polite and proper Japanese lady" personality.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: The Japanese episode names are all doubled words ("Mukashi mukashi", "Naisho naisho", "Dokidoki", etc.).
- Magic Wand: Taruto has one.
- Meido: Taruto's habitual clothing is a maid outfit.
- Ms. Exposition: Chiffon
- Non Catperson Sidekick: Kakipi.
- Phenotype Stereotype: Candy and Jelly Beans.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Chips and Nachos.
- The Reveal: There Is Another: Taruto's twin sister, who is the source of Taruto's magic and the voice in her head telling her to do her best.
- Slice of Life
- Spirit Advisor: Taruto has one who contacts her via her dreams. She turns out to be Taruto's twin sister, Pie A La Mode.
- They Who Must Not Be Seen: Kinako's parents seem to live with Kinako and Iori, but they are always off-screen when talking.
- Verbal Tic: Taruto uses 'nyan' ('meow' in the translation) everywhere. Curiously, she's the only catperson who does.