This story is about a Phantom Zone Picture
of an Elegant Gothic Lolita
, murdered by Mad Artist
Marchello Orlando to eternally preserve her youthful beauty, and Eiri Kurahashi, a young art student who becomes obsessed with her. The anime OVA was directed by Akiyuki Shinbo
and featured music by Yuki Kajiura
- Angst Coma: Happens to Shoko in the third OVA.
- The Atoner: Eiri is forced by Cossette to become this, bearing the punishment and pain for what Marcello did to her simply because he can see her spirit and, like Marcello, fell in love with her. He eventually grows to accept this , at which point she begins to regret it due to seeing Eiri for who he really is.
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: See for yourself.◊ Makes the scene in which Cosette hugs naked Eiri while not wearing anything except for a cape a little bit less squicky.
- The Beautiful Elite: Cossette is an aristocrat's daughter, and quite a vision of loveliness.
- Blood Magic: Eiri is first bound to Cossette when he is made to drink a glass full of her blood.
- And in the final act, he uses his own blood to paint a portrait of the real Cossette, driving Marcello's vision of her away.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: A relatively mild example in Shoko, who has feelings for Eiri and shows shades of insecurity when she thinks that he may have a girlfriend.
- Creepy Child: Cossette has her moments. And her false doppelganger as well, once Eiri uncovers the truth.
- Creepy Blue Eyes: Cossette, again.
- Crucified Hero Shot: Happens to Eiri a few times during the scenes where he is forced to bear the pain for Marcello's crime.
- Dark Reprise: Listen closely to Silent Ceremony. It's a darker and creepier version of The Main Theme.
- Dies Wide Open: Cossette, yet again.
- Downer Ending: In the manga, Eiri dies after being hit by a car. Cossette is left behind to somberly wait for another chance at redemption.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: A few of Cossette's outfits, most notably the blue dress she was murdered in.
- Enfant Terrible: The false Cossette, as envisioned by Marcello Orlando's paintings
- Fortune Teller: Michiru frequently borrows space in Eiri's antique shop to do tarot card readings.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: (Michelle Ruff's Cossette sounds like a really creepy Aoi Sakuraba.)
- Gratuitous French
- In the Hood: Cossette shows up in this occasionally, carrying a candle with a blue flame.
- Mad Artist: Marcello Orlando. He became obsessed with Cossette's beauty, to the point of eventually murdering her in order to preserve it.
- May-December Romance: Between Cossette and Eiri. Cossette and Marcello also had this, as he was presumably even older than Eiri is. He was also her fiance.
- Mind Screw: Filled with nightmares.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Cossette comes to greatly regret the pain she causes Eiri, and the third OVA begins with her farewell to him before she apparently crosses over. Unfortunately, her departure only makes things worse...
- Ominous Latin Chanting: In 'Kajiuran' language that is unique to Yuki Kajiura's music.
- Painting the Medium: A few times, actually.
- Phantom Zone Picture
- Psychological Horror
- Reincarnation Romance
- Say My Name: A lot.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not Symbolic?: A man is effectively crucified and made to bear the pain for the sins of another? That sounds familiar.