The sky isn't merely a cheap blue ceiling. It's something dreadfully high and deep.
In a world that's mysteriously ten times bigger than ours, most places are in the middle of nowhere. Kabu no Isaki is a Slice of Life
Manga about some people who live in this world, and get around by flying a small airplane: a lightweight Piper Super Cub.
It's written by Hitoshi Ashinano, the author of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
There are no fights or villains, but this series makes just flying to the next town into an adventure.
This manga contains examples of:
- Cool Airship: In chapter 3, there's an airship that's on a four-year mission to study the surface of the earth. The crew are only too happy to have a visitor fly up, even if he's just there to deliver food.
- Eyes Always Shut: Shiro. She opens them occasionally, but never very wide, or for very long.
- Flight: One of the central themes of the story.
- Never Gets Drunk: Shiro pours herself quite a lot of tequila... at 3:00 in the afternoon. Which is about three hours after she normally wakes up. She doesn't seem much affected by it. Tolerance, perhaps?
- One True Pairing: Isaki and Kajika. Although Shiro shows signs of turning it into a Love Triangle, or perhaps an OT3.
- Scenery Porn: Everywhere! It's usually more important than the dialogue, because a lot of what makes this manga special is the sense of wonder it evokes. It's meant to be read slowly.
- Tokyo Tower: This one is more than three kilometers tall. It looms out of the clouds like something from another world.
- World Tree: These are pretty common when the world is ten times its normal size.