Eita Chinami is a high-school delinquent who wants to become the most badass guy in school to win the chance to confess his love to school idol Yuika Kitano. He tries to achieve that by beating the crap out of every tough guy in and out of school. However, when he catches a cold and ends up taking the wrong pills, he wakes up the next day... as a girl. And an incredibly cute one, at that.
Now the only cure to his/her little predicament is to drink the pills again. The catch — (s)he is 300 million yen
short of a jar of it! With his/her metrosexual best friend Keisuke Oguri, Chinami vows to return into the true man (s)he always was... by having to take up an idol job — and to his/her surprise, Yuika is also an aspiring idol.Idol Pretender
is a Seinen
manga series written and illustrated by Hiroki Haruse.
Idol Pretender provides examples of the following tropes:
- Arc Words: "Gender doesn't matter."
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Chinami. Justified (the attractive part, that is), given the premise and the name of the Applied Phlebotinum.
- Berserk Button: His anger isn't expreseed in a Roaring Rampage of Revenge level, but threaten Chinami's honor and Oguri will not hold back any punches.
- Big Damn Heroes: Oguri pulls one in chapter 4 by saving Chinami and Yuika from a stalker.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Aoi, before he falls in love with Chinami.
- Bound and Gagged: Chinami and Yuika both get tied up after they get caught by a stalker.
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: Yuika tends to get aggressive when drunk. And ANY amount of liquor seems to do the trick.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Chinami shows this (and (s)he couldn't explain why) whenever it is something related to Oguri.
- Chickification: Early on Chinami establishes her/himself as a bit of a badass with some pretty powerful kicks to people/equipment. Then Chinami failing to defend him/herself from the stalker in chapter 4. In his/her defense, he did have his legs tied up, but he also managed to snap the ropes around his torso without much apparent effort. As the series progresses, Chinami continuous to become more dependent on Oguri to defend her.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Oguri, through and through. He may be shameless enough to strip in the middle of a crowd and even doesn't mind getting too close with female Chinami for comfort, but he's always ready to defend his/her honor.
- Creepy Cool Crosses: Oguri sports a pair of these as earrings.
- Cry Cute: As (s)he becomes increasingly feminine, Chinami starts to succumb to an adorably tearful mess a few times, much to his/her frustration.
- Cute Bruiser: Chinami, until Chickification begins to set in.
- Designated Love Interest: While Chinami's feelings for Oguri develop naturally, Oguri's own feelings for Chinami come completely out of the blue.
- Easy Sex Change: Chinami.
- Everyone Is Bi: Whether those involved are aware of it or not, the Love Dodecahedron is certainly a sexuality-confounding affair.
- Fountain of Youth: Happens to Chinami at the end of Chapter 12.
- Gender Bender
- Gender Reveal: So far, this has happened thrice — in Chapter 3, where Aoi revealed to Chinami that she is actually a he, in Chapter 7, when Chinami and Oguri finds out that Rintarou is a she, at at the end of Chapter 13, when Yuika overhears Chinami summarizing his/her problems to him/herself.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Yuika has them in chapter 11 as she questions whether she should look up Chinami's skirt while she's unconscious to confirm his/her gender.
- Handsome Lech: Oguri, Chinami's best friend. He's also borderline Camp Straight.
- Homoerotic Dream: Chinami has one at the beginning of Chapter 6 involving Yuika.
- Hot Springs Episode: Chapter 5 takes place at a hot springs located somewhere in the Hokkaido prefecture.
- Hysterical Woman: Chinami isn't bad about this initially, but as time goes on he/she becomes more and more prone to becoming weepy over his/her romantic woes.
- Incredibly Obvious Tail: Chinami, Yuika, and Aoi tail Oguri in chapter 6 after Chinami suspects that he has a girlfriend. They can be seen looking around a corner several times.
- I Want to Be a Real Man: Chinami's original plan to win over Yuika. Unfortunately for him, one bad cold and the wrong pills later, he ends up going In Touch with His Feminine Side.
- Kick Chick: Chinami as a girl, in contrast with preferring to throw punches as a guy. At least early on, anyways.
- Literal-Minded: Oguri warns Chinami not to punch anybody after he debuts as an idol, so when an armed thug breaks onto the stage and takes Yuika hostage, Chinami takes him out by kicking him.
- Love Dodecahedron: Chinami has a crush on Yuika, who eventually declares her love for his/her female persona. Also, Chinami is Tsundere around Oguri (to the point that (s)he wonders whether (s)he's actually going gay for him), and both of them have crossdressers crushing on them, male Aoi Subaru and female Takizawa Rintarou, respectively.
- Man, I Feel Like a Woman : One of the first things Chinami does post-gender-flip is to grab his/her breasts and see how it feels... much to his/her dismay, (s)he actually gets aroused.
- Meaningful Name: Godlike Beauty DX. "DX" is an emoticon that could mean either horror, disgust, sadness or great dismay — the very spectrum of emotions Chinami felt when he woke up as a girl for the first time.
- The Mind Is a Plaything of the Body: Played for Laughs — Chinami would do something girly, then rage over how (s)he did it so naturally.
- The Klutz: Rin
- Names to Know in Anime: From the Drama CDs...
- No Romantic Resolution: We never learn precisely what Oguri told Chinami or Rin, leaving the question of the final romantic pairs unexplained.
- Phlebotinum Pills: The magic pills Chinami accidently takes at the beginning, Godlike Beauty DX.
- Pinball Protagonist: Chinami basically just goes with whatever zany antics the other characters lead him into at a given moment.
- Second Law of Gender Bending: Played with. After finding out that Yuika is in love with his/her female form, Chinami starts thinking that it might be better to just stay as a girl... right before (s)he chews him/herself off for thinking that.
- Seinen: The manga is serialized in Champion RED Ichigo magazine.
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Oguri and Chinami... at least before the latter's accidental makeover.
- Shout-Out: A Mami cosplayer can be clearly seen in chapter 6 at the cosplay event.
- Skinship Grope: By Rin to Chinami in a bath tub scene.
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: Despite still thinking of himself as a guy after switching genders, Chinami starts developing feelings for Oguri.
- Thanks for the Mammary: Invoked by Yuika in chapter 11 to confirm Chinami's gender.
- Third Law of Gender Bending: Much to Chinami's dismay.
- Tracking Device: Aoi apparently has plenty of them on Chinami.
- Tsundere: Chinami towards Oguri. It comes to the point that (s)he questioned him/herself whether (s)he's already becoming gay for him.
- Wardrobe Malfunction: After knocking out the man holding Yuika hostage with a kick, Chinami's string-bikini bottom comes undone while (s)he's still on the audition stage.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: As of present, we have Oguri, Aoi and Rintarou.
- Yaoi Genre: Tentatively, after Chinami admits he's fallen for Oguri. It's a bit confusing, depending on how Chinami views him/herself.