Kei is a lesbian who can't seem to find a girl to be in a serious relationship. Her mom disapproves of her sexuality, so she sends her to an all-boys school in hopes that she'll get married to a boy eventually.Hilarity Ensues
. Well, sorta.
The series is created by Aki Arata
and licensed by Digital Manga Publishing under the name The Beautiful Skies of Houou High
, though it appears to have been dropped after the 1st volume, due to the sheer amount
of Values Dissonance
Compare to Maria†Holic
, which has a similar premise but is even more comedic and lacks romance.
This series contains examples of:
- Abusive Parent: Kei's mom hits her and tells her to 'go find yourself a guy like a normal girl would!' in the first chapter. Luckily Kei's dad loves her.
- Ambiguously Gay: It's hard to tell whether Kei's a lesbian, Bisexual, or just confused and afraid of men. It's not as ambiguous if you're familiar with the Japanese stereotype that lesbians are just women who were hurt by men in the past.
- She's shown attraction to females since a young age.
- Art Evolution: Kei looked more masculine originally
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Kei, and Merry as well.
- Bifauxnen: Kei
- Butch Lesbian: Kei.. Probably.
- Butt Monkey: Kei was probably intended to be this. She however comes across as a gigantic woobie.
- Clingy Jealous Boy: Yui sometimes physically clings to Kei, and doesn't like her getting close to other students.
- Cure Your Gays: The premise. Like Maria†Holic but played dead serious.
- Token Mini Moes: The twins.
- Does Not Like Men: Kei initially.
- Felony Misdemeanor: Being a lesbian.
- Female Misogynist: The mom. Made more disturbing by the fact that the mangaka seems to agree with her views.
- Forgotten Childhood Friend: Kei and Yui.
- Gender-Blender Name: Kei's.
- Heteronormative Crusader: Several characters.
- Hidden Depths: Kousuke loves Usasy the chibi-stripper-bunny and keeps an Usasy handkerchief on him at all times.
- Hypocritical Heartwarming: Yui is the only one allowed to make fun of Kei.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Kirie and eventually Kei towards Yui.
- Incompatible Orientation: Kirie and Yui. Also Yui and Kei until the end.
- I Want Grandkids: Kei's mom, so much that she sends her daughter to an all-boys school to see if she'll become Straight.
- Manipulative Bastard: Yui.
- Master of Disguise: Merry, slightly going into Wholesome Crossdresser territory.
- Nice Guy: Kousuke is one of the nicest, if not THE nicest male character.
- Off Model: Kei's hand in the bottom left panel. I mean, geeze.
- Papa Wolf: Kei's dad gets a streak of this towards any males that get close to his daughter.
- Poe's Law: The over-the-top homophobia and misogyny has made some readers wonder if this is the case. It helps that very little is actually known about the mangaka.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Referenced to. Characters say that Kei's previous girlfriends only were dating her due to her boyish looks and "Cool Guy" personality, and that they were just caught up in a fad.
- Sadist Show: Mother of God.
- Sand in My Eyes: Yui.
- Situational Sexuality: What Kei's mom hopes will happen by sending her lesbian daughter to an all boy's school.
- Stay in the Kitchen: The manga's perceived Aesop (unless Poe's Law is involved}
- Strong Family Resemblance: Kei looks a lot like her dad.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: Kei
- Sweet on Polly Oliver: Several characters.
- Too Kinky to Torture: Kirie is a masochist who very desperately wants Yui's attention. And by attention, we mean 'physical abuse'.
- Unsound Effect: Used in conjunction with normal sound effects.
- X Meets Y: It's Maria†Holic meets Ouran