Kei is a lesbian who can't seem to find a girl to be in a serious relationship. Her mom disapproves of her sexuality, so she sends her to an all-boys school in hopes that she'll get married to a boy eventually.Hilarity Ensues
. Well, sorta.
The series is created by Aki Arata
and licensed by Digital Manga Publishing under the name The Beautiful Skies of Houou High
, though it appears to have been dropped after the 1st volume, due to the sheer amount
of Values Dissonance
Compare to Maria†Holic
, which has a similar premise but is even more comedic and lacks romance.
This series contains examples of:
- Abusive Parent: Kei's mom hits her and tells her to 'go find yourself a guy like a normal girl would!' in the first chapter. Luckily Kei's dad loves her.
- Ambiguously Gay: It's hard to tell whether Kei's a lesbian, Bisexual, or just confused and afraid of men. It's not as ambiguous if you're familiar with the Japanese stereotype that lesbians are just women who were hurt by men in the past.
- She's shown attraction to females since a young age.
- Art Evolution: Kei looked more masculine originally
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Kei, and Merry as well.
- Bifauxnen: Kei
- Butch Lesbian: Kei.. Probably.
- Butt Monkey: Kei was probably intended to be this. She however comes across as a gigantic woobie.
- Clingy Jealous Boy: Yui sometimes physically clings to Kei, and doesn't like her getting close to other students.
- Cure Your Gays: The premise. Like Maria†Holic but played dead serious.
- Token Mini Moes: The twins.
- Does Not Like Men: Kei initially.
- Felony Misdemeanor: Being a lesbian.
- Female Misogynist: The mom. Made more disturbing by the fact that the mangaka seems to agree with her views.
- Forgotten Childhood Friend: Kei and Yui.
- Gender-Blender Name: Kei's.
- Heteronormative Crusader: Several characters.
- Hidden Depths: Kousuke loves Usasy the chibi-stripper-bunny and keeps an Usasy handkerchief on him at all times.
- Hypocritical Heartwarming: Yui is the only one allowed to make fun of Kei.
- If It's You, It's Okay: Kirie and eventually Kei towards Yui.
- Incompatible Orientation: Kirie and Yui. Also Yui and Kei until the end.
- I Want Grand Kids: Kei's mom, so much that she sends her daughter to an all-boys school to see if she'll become Straight.
- Manipulative Bastard: Yui.
- Master of Disguise: Merry, slightly going into Wholesome Crossdresser territory.
- Nice Guy: Kousuke is one of the nicest, if not THE nicest male character.
- Off Model: Kei's hand in the bottom left panel. I mean, geeze.
- Old Shame: The manga seems to be one for Digital Manga Publishing, as they discontinued it almost immediately and removed all traces of it on most of their sites. It's hard not to see why.
- Papa Wolf: Kei's dad gets a streak of this towards any males that get close to his daughter.
- Poe's Law: The over-the-top homophobia and misogyny has made some readers wonder if this is the case. It helps that very little is actually known about the mangaka.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: Referenced to. Characters say that Kei's previous girlfriends only were dating her due to her boyish looks and "Cool Guy" personality, and that they were just caught up in a fad.
- Sadist Show: Mother of God.
- Sand In My Eyes: Yui.
- Situational Sexuality: What Kei's mom hopes will happen by sending her lesbian daughter to an all boy's school.
- Stay in the Kitchen: The manga's perceived Aesop (unless Poe's Law is involved}
- Strong Family Resemblance: Kei looks a lot like her dad.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: Kei
- Sweet on Polly Oliver: Several characters.
- Too Kinky to Torture: Kirie is a masochist who very desperately wants Yui's attention. And by attention, we mean 'physical abuse'.
- Too Soon: The other possible reason the english release was discontinued, as there was a rash of LGBT suicides in the media at that time.
- Unsound Effect: Used in conjunction with normal sound effects.
- X Meets Y: It's Maria†Holic meets Ouran