Manga: Hoozuki no Reitetsu
"Attention: This manga is fiction. However, Hell may actually exist. Please take care to live an upstanding life."
A supernatural dark comedy manga by Ezuki Natsumi currently running as part of the Winter 2014 anime lineup.Hoozuki no Reitsutsu
takes place in Hell, which consists of eight fiery Naraka and eight icy Naraka, further split into 272 subdivisions. The manga focuses on the daily life and often silly trials of Hoozuki, aide to Yama, the bumbling Great King of Hell. While Hoozuki is calm, sadistic, and often frightening to deal with, his hobbies include watching nature documentaries, reading books about animals, taking vacations to Earth to visit the zoo or Disneyland, and his top priority, cultivating goldfish plants
Tropes appearing in this series
- An Aesop: The second half of the first episode focuses a lot on how people should respect the Earth and treat animals with kindness.
- Black Comedy: Though not exclusively.
- Butt Monkey: Enma. Good thing he (and everyone else in Hell) is already dead.
- Brown Note: Hoozuki triggers a certain pressure point on King Enma in episode 7 that eventually causes him to vacate his bowels.
- The Cameo: Haru, Shizuku, and Asako in episode 7.
- Celestial Bureaucracy: Or at least the prison part of it. They even have paid holidays for their employees.
- Covert Pervert: Karauri
- Credits Gag: Episode 13's ending credits are missing the two panicked Goldfish plants...cause Hoozuki caught them and turned them into juice.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune
- Exalted Torturer: The exact description of the main characters' occupation. There are even extra courses on torturing for employees who are judged to be not torturous enough.
- Fan Disservice: The Stripping Hag.
- Fantastically Indifferent: Every official of Hell is like this in their own way.
- Flower Motifs: Hoozuki is a name for Physalis alkekengii (Chinese lantern). They pop up as decorations here and there, and Hoozuki's apartment is indicated by a picture of a Chinese lantern on the door.
- Funny Background Event: People being tortured in the background with everybody in the foreground completely ignoring it.
- Glory Days: Momotaro tries to relive the legendary part of his life by making troubles with the oni of Hell. The administration doesn't take kindly to his antics, since said oni are a completely different breed from their troublemaking brethren on Earth.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: The eponymous character. While Hell won't fall apart simply from his absence, he has skills far exceeding what is required for his station.
- Ironic Hell: How the place works. For example, if you were extremely mean to animals in life, you go to hell where animals torture you. Momotaro's companions get a new job to that division of Hell.
- Killer Rabbit: One of Hell's most ruthless minions. She reacts to the word "tanuki" and vents stress from deep in her psyche...
- Too Kinky to Torture: Karauri seems to think that many men enjoy being tortured if it's by an attractive woman, with the implication that he is the one who is into that.
- Laser-Guided Karma: The story revolves around the daily life of the people doing the laser-guiding.
- Momotaro: He and his three companions are the focus of the first half of episode 1, and often make appearances after that.
- Old Shame: In-Universe example: Momotaro's monkey companion Kisuke deeply regrets what he did to that crab...
- Our Demons Are Different
- Panty Thief: For being one, the punishment is being wrapped up in underwear that had previously been worn by oni for 99 years straight.
- Planimal: The goldfish plants.
- Rouge Angles of Satin: Played for Laughs. What Hoozuki intended to write in his Hellish Panacea recipe was one desiccated Santa, not one desiccated Satan.
- Satan: He runs the European Hell, and plans on annexing the East Asian one. He soon gave up on that.
- Shout-Out: In addition to referencing Japanese legends, there are also many modern references including Harry Potter, Castle in the Sky, and really probably too many to count.
- Training from Hell: Hozuki tries to use the Hell's Minions Sports as this in a literal sense.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Discussed in Satan's internal monologue when he's assessing Hoozuki. Both Sephiroth and Gintoki (palette-swapped) appear in his mind. His assessment is not that far off the mark.
- You Remind Me of X: Hoozuki looks a lot like his Archenemy Hakutaku. Momotaro points this out. Much to Hoozuki's ire.