Manga: Happy Mania
A josei manga that ran 1996-2003 in the magazine 'Feel Young' by Moyoco Anno about the adventures of Kayoko Shigeta, a Christmas Cake who is unlucky in love and in work. She lives with her more successful and grounded friend Fuku, and dodges the advances of nerdy bookstore employee Takahashi. The English Tokyopop edition is out of print. It is rated 'M' for explicit content. A TV series aired on Japanese TV in 1998.
Tropes found in this work:
- Alone Among the Couples: Shigeta complains about this often.
- Bastard Boyfriend: Shigeta has several through the series.
- Beta Couple: Fuku and Matsue.
- Christmas Cake: Shigeta is one, Fuku even moreso.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Shigeta borders on it half the time and is a complete one the other half.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Takahashi.
- Groin Attack: How Shigeta escapes Sakai. She calls it the "ball crusher."
- I Have You Now, My Pretty/Attempted Rape: Sakai kidnaps Shigeta and seems intent on doing some nasty things to her, until she incapacitates him.
- Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places: Shigeta's various affairs with unavaliable and often married men.
- Love Triangle: Shigeta, Takahashi and Violet, for one.
- Minor Flaw, Major Breakup: Shigeta can't get past Sakai's long bottom eyelashes, so she breaks up with him. She quickly finds out that was the least of his flaws.
- Office Lady: Shigeta tries to be one, and fails. Fuku is a more successful office lady.
- Really Gets Around: Shigeta and her guy pals.
- Also Toki; Shigeta even calls him a "walking hard-on" when she's breaking up with him.
- Sex Comedy: Shigeta's romps.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Both Shigeta and Fuku. They both find one.
- Stalker with a Crush: Sakai.
- Your Cheating Heart: With a married man, no less.