The Almighty Otaku
(The Ultimate Teacher) is a weekly manga series by Takeshi Azuma about a 22-year-old Otaku
who reluctantly becomes a teacher. It seems to be inspired by Great Teacher Onizuka
, but instead the main lead handles problematic students
the Badass Bookworm
way, unlike Onizuka's notoriously rough
but nonetheless awesome tactics
. Nonetheless, it still has the same theme and spirit as GTO.
Comes with a character page
that could use a touch of trope-work.
The manga concluded after 146 chapters (with a sequel series on the way), and an anime adaptation
is set to air for the Spring 2015 line-up.
Tropes in Denpa Kyoushi include:
- Absurdly Powerful Student Council President: Makina Momozono acts as the school chairman's right-hand man and thus can decide whether a student or teacher stays or leaves the school. Until Kagami came along, that is.
- The Ace: Kagami as a teenager, and his younger sister Suzune.
- Alpha Bitch: Miho Kitou. She got better.
- Anime Hair: Kagami has a rather outrageous quiff. So does Nanami, albeit lighter.
- Asexual: Implied with Kagami, given his lack of reaction to all the fanservice around him.
- Badass Bookworm: Kagami is so good at Science that he was able to prove a scientific theory without breaking a sweat when the best scientists in the world were having trouble disproving it. And yet he doesn't fear monsters like Seijuurou Nanami and can take punches to the face and being whacked by a baseball bat on an everyday basis. Bad. Ass.
- Berserk Button: Makina hates people violating school rules.
- Never diss Anime in front of Kagami. Also, don't let Suzune know you're an otaku, unless you're a mangaka.
- Born Winner: Kanan Chinami is born with a 2.5D voice, which is said to be the ideal voice for anime seiyuus. She did not take this too happily at first, though. But with Kagami's encouragement, she decides to become the official voice mascot of Hiiragi Private Academy.
- Brother-Sister Incest: It's strongly implied a few times that Kagami's sister likes him this way. For the most part, this seems one-sided.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Despite being an insufferable otaku, Kagami is a certified genius and is so good at science and technology that even CERM wants to seriously hire him.
- Captain Ersatz: Kagami looks like an older Negi Springfield.
- The Chessmaster: Chairman Hiiragi.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Again, Chairman Hiiragi.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: It might be a bit too soon to tell, but Kagami hasn't seemed to notice all the girls around him that have taken a fancy to him.
- Composite Character: Kagami is said to be one of the Great Teacher Onizuka and The God of Conquest.
- Cool Teacher: It's in the manga's name.
- Cute Mute: Kanan prefers to communicate through e-mails because she thinks people are more interested of her voice than herself. She got better thanks to Kagami's encouragement.
- Delinquents: Minako Kanou used to be part of Miho's Girl Posse, until a sympathetic person from the Internet inspired her to become a hero. Said person was actually Kagami. This is how Minako came to know about Nanami, by the way.
- Demoted to Extra: More or less with everyone with an introduction arc devoted to them. After their initial arc, they don't have nearly as much screen time as they once did. Justified since the manga is already building up Loads and Loads of Characters.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: Initially, Kagami was forced by his sister to become a teacher to get him out of his NEET status, then was sacked barely a month after he started, then got offered a job for CERM, then got hired by an eccentric school chairman, then gladly accepts an offer from an old classmate of his after getting talked out of teaching by the CERM representative who came to his house earlier. Apparently, it is difficult for a hardcore Otaku to get a life.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Kotarou.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Sachiko Tanaka, a.k.a. Kisaki Tenjouin.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Makina with twintails.
- The Gadfly: Chairman Hiiragi and Sachiko seem to LOVE being this to Makina.
- Gender Bender: In the battle against Subaru's team to determine whether Kagami and Subarunote would become lovers or not, the chosen game is a Magical Girl virtual game simulator, where the game avatars are all...well, magical girls. This means that male players still get female avatars, which means that Kagami, Nanami and Fuwa all get bent. It's the return of Kagamin!
- Guile Hero: That's Kagami, in two words: he has a knack for manipulating people for their own good.
- Hair Decorations: Makina.
- Hikikomori: Kagami, Kotarou, and Sachiko. They got better.
- Hot-Blooded: Kagami when it comes to Anime and Manga.
- Hot Scientist: Kagami's old classmate Yamato Toune.
- Improbable Age: According to Kagami, Minami was once an exchange student in a Maid Academy in England, and she's now 17 years old. How the hell did that happen?
- Improbable Weapon User: Suzune's baseball bat.
- Improbably Female Cast: The female-to-male ratio is quite largely in favor of the females regarding the characters that surround Junichirou. However, it does start to even out by the time of the SS group war where many of the main campus students introduced are male.
- King Incognito: Chairman Hiiragi poses as a manga shoplifter in search for potential teachers for her school.
- The Little Shop That Wasn't There Yesterday: In her attempt to place herself at the top 10 of Incho Academy, Kanan stumbled across the home tutor service which claims to have helped a lot of students ace their exams and subscribed to it. Turns out that the legendary tutor was actually Kagami.
- Meido: Kiriko works part-time as one, which Makina uses as a ground to expel her from the school. Cue Kagami dragging Makina into a Meido on-the-job training so that she stops looking down on them.
- Morality Pet: Minako for Nanami, and she knows it.
- The Nicknamer: Kagami can make up a nickname for anyone he meets almost instantly, such as "Bitch Slap or Face Punch" for Minako, "Spice Girl" for Miho, "Fries" for Kiriko, "Roboman" for Nanami, "Irregular Twintails" for Makina, "Options" for Chairman Hiiragi, and "Anime Girl" for Kanan.
- Not What It Looks Like: When Minako and Kagami reunite, she cries about him not taking responsibility and quitting school over one of the most significant moments of her life. Right in front of his sister.
- Older Than They Look: Koyomi Hiiragi, School Chairman of Hiiragi Private Academy; and Minami Kitayama, the 17-year-old manager of the Maid Cafe Kiriko works at who looks and acts five years younger. Of course, it is perfectly possible that Minami is a member of the Forever 17 club and has availed herself of Academy City's latest technology to keep herself younger-looking.
- Paper Fan of Doom: Again, Chairman Hiiragi.
- Playful Hacker: Kagami as a result of being a hardcore otaku. He created a chatroom which has defenses comparable to that of the Pentagon(!), a home tutor service which have helped a lot of students ace their exams, and his very own MMORPG!
- Proud to Be a Geek: Kagami, FULL STOP.
- Red Baron: Kiriko Shikishima the "Cutter Girl" and Seijuurou Nanami the Monster of Hiiragi Private Academy.
- Red-Headed Hero: Kagami.
- Serious Business: For Kagami and Sachiko, Manga is serious business.
- Shirtless Scene: Nanami in Chapter 20.
- Smug Snake: Ogami-sensei, Kagami's replacement. Kagami proceeds to put him in his place.
- Stocking Filler: Yamato.
- Teacher/Student Romance: It gets brought up from time to time that Kiriko and Kanan have feelings for him, most clearly during the Madoka arc. He also seems to unintentionally be gaining a harem with at least three girls so far - but this is also very much on the back burner.
- Kotarou also seems to have feelings for him, quite possibly the most extreme.
- Teen Genius: Hiiragi Academy scholar Suzune Kagami and Sachiko Tanaka under her mangaka pseudonym Kisaki Tenjouin.
- Trickster Archetype: Chairman Hiiragi, just like Chairman Sakurai of Holy Forest Academy.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Kotarou. Isn't he adorable? He looks so much like a girl, the chairman banned him from wearing the male uniform.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Chairman Hiiragi dreams of an interesting country of Japan, and the vision she sets for her school is to turn students into wacky yet well-adjusted students.
- Write Who You Know: Sachiko's usual MO when writing manga. Hilarity Ensued when she applied this trope to pretty much anyone, but ended up in a rather spectacular failure.
- Wooden Katanas Are Even Better: Makina.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Makina, Kanan in her home outfit, and Sachiko. Also Kotarou.