Nana of Banana
is a not-at-all-serious comedy manga starring Nana and Ringo, two girls who are treated like dirt in their village because of their supposedly useless powers. In this world, the strength of your powers defines your status in society: Ringo's strong legs, which let her jump really high, are looked down upon by people who can, say, control water
while Nana... Nana can manipulate bananas
Both had been inspired by Ringo's father's tales of the magical land of Oz (not that one
), and of the adventurer that found it. They vowed to go on an adventure of their own someday.
Skip to Present Day
. Ringo is being bugged by Nana to go on the adventure they promised so long ago, but Ringo has lost interest and is focusing on her job, not to mention leaving the village to go on an adventure is heavily, heavily stigmatized. The village chief, a rather jerkass cuss whose been keeping an eye on the two, then floods Nana's house for no reason other then because she can
but it doesn't deter Nana. Nana decides to go on her adventure and gives Ringo a chance to join her. The chief isn't having any of that, so she sends people to take care of Nana and presents Ringo with a Sadistic Choice
of destroying the adventure diary that once belonged to her father. Cue Ringo refusing, crying out for Nana who then arrives, having dealt handily with the mooks
We then see the very finest water vs. banana fight ever
, and Nana wins
because she is able to manipulate anything about bananas
, including making a shield strong enough to deflect water attacks, and a sword
But the chief takes Ringo hostage, demanding she "Drop the banana
Nana asks whether Ringo wants to go with her. Ringo responds by high-kicking the chief into the air. Of course, after that they can't go back home for fear of reprisals, so they take the opportunity to begin their adventure into their strange continent.
This manga provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Nana can kick moderate amounts of arse, while Ringo kicks people in the face. Get her angry enough and she'll kick you up a mountain.
- Affectionate Parody: The main characters goes on an adventure, they fight, become better, etc. Have I seen this before in other Shōnen manga/anime? Yes, but this time most of these things are played for laughts, and fancy superpowers are replaced with bananas. Even Fanservice gets it's threatment by lampshadings, Ringo's miniskirt, and the village chef's justified nudity. (see blessed with suck)
- Alternate Character Reading: All the abilities.
- Badass Normal
- Battle Butler
- Berserk Button: Messing with Nana will incur Ringo's wrath. And boy howdy, what a wrath it is.
- Even after she reunites with Nana the rage doesn't stop.
- Same goes for Nana if anyone screws with Ringo. Yup, they sure do care a lot for each other.
- BFB: Nana attacks a bird that's trying to eat them with a Big Fuckin' Banana. It eats the banana.
- Blessed with Suck: In exchange for very powerful water abilities, the village chief has to lie in a bath for 20 hours a day. If she doesn't do this, she'll die. No wonder she's such a bitch.
- Fridge Brilliance: When one thinks about it, her antagonizing the girls could be purely out of jealously. Whose to say she didn't want to be an adventurer herself.
- The above is confirmed with a recent chapter after she has been kicked out of both her office and the village.
- Blush Sticker
- Boobs of Steel: With Ringo being the physically stronger of the two main characters, naturally she'd be the bustier one.
- Break the Haughty: The chief gets thrown out of office and is kicked out. She does admit that she had it coming.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Ringo is this to Nana ever since Budou joined them.
- Conditional Powers: Part of the rules of superpowers here, and usually played for laughs. Nana has to eat a banana with the skin on every day, plus an extra one for every time she uses her power; Ringo has to wear a miniskirt all the time to show off her panties. It's that kind of series.
- Cross-Popping Veins
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The battle between Nana and the chief is barely even a fight — partially because the chief is too used to thinking of Ringo and Nana's powers as narrow and useless to even consider the ways they might be useful or effective, but partially because Nana's "weak" power really is that strong.
- Cute Little Fangs: Nana.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Hoshi Budou becomes Nana's maidservant. Sadly the process was not shown... yet. Then Morishiro and co. fixing their ways (they even plan to rebuy all the girls they sold) after Hoshi defeats him.
- Determinator: It's this quality in Nana that convinces Budou to find a new master in her.
- Disappeared Dad: Ringo's.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: They don't even try to be subtle about this. Um. Er.
- Dual Wielding: When Nana gets serious, she dual-wields her bananas.
- Enigmatic Minion
- Erotic Eating: To explain the Conditional Powers, Nana is force-fed a banana by Ringo in a highly suggestive manner. The banana is even censored at first.
- Flash Step
- Fundamentally Funny Fruit
- Gag Series
- Genki Girl
- Giving Someone the Pointer Finger
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Nana's "Banana Armour" lets her make anything out of them. Ringo's "Antelope Leg" not only lets her jump high but also run fast and kick like a mule.
- Hoshi's power lets her do housework several times faster than the average person - which, since she wields a sword hidden within a mop, also lets her move incredibly fast in battle.
- Idiot Hair: Both the main characters sport these, fittingly enough.
- Improbable Weapon User: Take a wild guess. (Hint: They can also be used as a shield.)
- In a Single Bound
- In The Style Of: Try reading the first chapter in the style of Charlie The Unicorn. See how long you can avoid laughing when you hear "Adventure" or "I'm going on an adventure!".
- Intrepid Reporter: Hikaru.
- Just for Pun: A lot of the jokes. Including the fact that Turtle and Crock have the same Kanji. So what they thought was the secret path that you ride a turtle to get to is instead a path that you get shoved into a giant pot to get to.
- Kick Chick: Ringo doesn't really have any other choice than to be this in combat, given her superpower is just "strong legs".
- Lampshade Hanging
- Limit Break: Ringo is what is known as a Limit Breaker, a person who can, under certain circumstances, ignore their mental limits and use the fullest potential of their ability.
- Logical Fallacies: Capture and sell off low-level ability users... in order to get the money for a revolution that will set them free. Riiight.
- Note even Nana calls him out on this.
- Lovely Angels: Ringo and Nana fit the mold surprisingly well.
- Marshmallow Hell: Nana finds her self in one between Ringo and Budou.
- Mix-and-Match Critters
- Ninja Maid: Nana insists upon going to Maimai, the country of superpowerful maids, to find one for their party because... she wants one.
- No Sense of Direction: Kagami
- Ocular Gushers
- Oh, Crap
- One Head Taller
- Overly Narrow Superlative: "The very finest water vs. banana fight ever" (see above); there's also the garuda, a huge bird whose favorite food is "little girls who like bananas."
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: How Ringo attempts to maintain modesty while fulfilling the conditions to keep her powers (tiny miniskirts!). Her tights are so sheer that it doesn't really work.
- Punny Name: Nana's full name is Oba Nana
- Fun Fact, the O in Japanese means 'Honorable'. Her name is almost literally 'Honorable Banana'.
- Power at a Price: Prices like having to eat a banana with the skin on, having to always wear miniskirts, staying in water for 20 hours a day or you die...
- Put Down Your Banana And Step Away
- Role Called: The protagonist's name is Nana. She fights with a banana.
- Say My Name
- She Is the King: Nana wants to be, anyway. So she can rule the land so fellow adventurers can have complete freedom. Yes, king.
- Shout-Out: Nana hums the theme tune to Lucky Star.
- Single-Stroke Battle
- Storm of Blades: Done with bananas.
- They Do: By having sex on the moon. With a banana.
- This Banana Is Armed: The Manga
- Those Two Guys: Hikaru and Kiji.
- Too Dumb to Live: The chief somehow completely fails to realize there's any possible use for super-strong legs besides jumping until she's already been kicked into the sky.
- Tsundere: Ringo is repeatedly referred to as one by Nana (out of earshot, of course).
- Unstoppable Rage: Make Ringo really angry, and she gets stronger (much stronger) and more violent. It's implied to be a rare special ability.
- You Can't Go Home Again: Ringo kicked the village chief into the sky, effectively burning their bridges behind them. Mind you, it's not like they would particularly want to return to their village.
- Plus the chief kinda started the fight anyway. So meh.
- Wingding Eyes: As expected of a 'Limit Breaker', Ringo's eyes become targeting reticles when she uses her full power.
- Yuri Genre: Yep.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Nana sports Grade B, but Ringo subverts this trope, as she wears tights. They both wore Zettai Ryouiki as little kids. Hoshi Budou's outfit is reminiscent of Zettai Ryouiki.