You guys passed up Apocalypse Zero, literally the most insane anime I've ever seen in my life! Seriously, the first time I tried to watch it, I woke up ten days later in a petting zoo in Croatia!Apocalypse Zero, also known as Kakugo no Susume, is a manga and two-part OVA from The '90s. It revolves around two siblings, Kakugo and Harara, who are given Kamen Rider-esque suits of Powered Armor that let them defend post-apocalyptic Tokyo from demons and mutants. After Harara succumbs to the evil within the armor, it is up to Kakugo to defeat his sibling.This is basically the entire plot. Yes, it's that banal. The series' appeal comes from the ridiculous array of baddies it features, starting with a gigantic, nearly-naked woman who likes to call herself "Beauty," a building-sized homosexual leprechaun Idol Singer, and more.Oh yeah, and it's violent. Really violent. We're talking "guts spewing, blood gushing, skin melting, bones-sticking-out-limbs" violent. Watch at your own risk, folks.
—Bennett the Sage, Anime Abandon
- After the End: Though some places are still functioning pretty well such as Kakugo's high school.
- A Father to His Men: Compared to most villians, Harara has an unusual love and appreciation for his minions, being forgiving of their mistakes and grateful for their sacrifices. He genuinely cares for the lives and wellbeing of the monsters under his command. He's not quite Affably Evil to people in general, but a homicidal mutant horror couldn't possibly ask for a better boss.
- Applied Phlebotinum: The Steel Balls.
- Badass: Pretty much everyone who fights.
- Bears Are Bad News: In the beginning of the anime, Kakugo and Harara have to fight one...which has several pairs of giant breasts, for some reason.
- Cain and Abel: Kakugo and Harara.
- Camp Gay: Dogumakuro, the giant blue leprechaun who dresses like a member of the Village People.
- Camp Straight: Horie's boyfriend, or so he would like to think, is an incredibly flamboyant... creature that wears biker clothes and speaks with a girl's voice. He punches our hero a few times for no reason.
- Expy: Jin Saotome from Cyberbots (and, later, Capcom vs. Whatever) is a dead ringer for Kakugo. They even wear the same scarf!
- Fan Disservice: Any time someone appears naked, it'll be Squicky.
- Full-Frontal Assault: From villains and hero alike, you can count in one hand the number of times Kakugo remains clothed for a whole fight.
- Gag Penis: *shudder* Some of the "Tactical Fiends/Evils" have mutated attack genitals.
- Gorn: Dear God. Apocalypse Zero has been called the most vile anime ever made, and not without very good reason. The very first bit after the titles has a woman being killed via being squeezed to death, and vomiting her guts all over her boyfriend. And the kicker? The anime is actually tamer than the manga.
- Grossout Show: It features a constant stream of Ludicrous Gibs and heavily-sexualized villains.
- Humans Are Ugly: Hamuko considers human girls ugly and wants to kill them all.
- Idiot Ball: Harara in the anime, right after Kakugo beats all the demons that are thrown at him. Instead of going out and fighting Kakugo himself, Harara decides to possess the body of the last demon that he sent via a machine. The problem is that 1) Harara was told that any damage the demon's body takes will be transferred onto him. 2) The demon's body is stiffening due to rigor mortis, limiting Harara's movements, and 3) It was established that Harara was a better fighter then Kakugo and could more then enough take him in a full match. But no, Harara decides this is the best option. End result, Kakugo beats the demon's body silly and finishes by punching its head off. Yeah.
- Mood Whiplash: Kakugo is such a boy scout that he's in shocking contrast to his enemies, which are disgusting mutants with terrible puffy Gonk faces and oozing with Fan Disservice. His heroic speeches are better than anything you'd hear out of a standard superhero show...it's just weird.
- Pronoun Trouble: Harara has a female body after merging with his armor, Kasumi, but is still referred to by male pronouns.
- Puppeteer Parasite: What happens to Horie at one point.
- Unfortunate Names: "Horie/Horia" sounds rather unfortunate in English.
- Vagina Dentata: Just make a game out of it.