, also known as Kakugo no Susume
, is a manga and two-part OVA from The Nineties
. It revolves around two siblings, Kakugo
and Harara, who are given Kamen Rider-esque
suits of Powered Armor
that let them defend post-apocalyptic
Tokyo from demons and mutants. After Harara succumbs to the evil within the armor, it is up to Kakugo to defeat his sibling.
This is basically the entire plot. Yes, it's that banal. The series' appeal comes from the ridiculous array of baddies it features, starting with a gigantic naked woman
named Beauty and a homosexual leprechaun Idol Singer
, and most likely getting far weirder.
Oh yeah and it's violent. Really
violent. Were talking "guts spewing, blood gushing, skin melting, bones-sticking-out-limbs" violent
. Watch at your own risk, folks.
- After the End: Though some places are still functioning pretty well such as Kakugo's high school.
- Applied Phlebotinum: The Steel Balls.
- Badass: Pretty much everyone who fights. There are exceptions, however... see Camp Gay.
- Bears Are Bad News: In the beginning of the anime, Kakugo and Harara have to fight one...which has several pairs of giant breasts, for some reason.
- Cain and Abel: Kakugo and Harara.
- Camp Gay: Horie's boyfriend, or so he would like to think, is an incredibly flamboyant... creature that wears biker clothes and speaks with a girl's voice. He punches our hero a few times for no reason.
- There's also Dogumakuro, the giant blue leprechaun who dresses like a member of the Village People.
- Fan Disservice: Any time someone appears naked, it'll be Squicky.
- Full-Frontal Assault: From villains and hero alike, you can count in one hand the number of times Kakugo remains clothed for a whole fight.
- Gag Penis: *shudder* Some of the "Tactical fiends" have mutated attack genitals.
- Gorn: Dear God. Apocalypse Zero has been called the most vile anime ever made, and not without very good reason. The very first bit after the titles has a woman being killed via being squeezed to death, and vomiting her guts all over her boyfriend. And the kicker? The anime is actually tamer than the manga.
- Humans Are Ugly: Hamuko considers pretty human girls ugly while she herself is a hideous monster, but claims to be known by the nickname Beauty.
- Mood Whiplash: Kakugo is such a boy scout that he's in shocking contrast to his enemies, which are disgusting mutants with terrible puffy Gonk faces and oozing with Fan Disservice. His heroic speeches are better than anything you'd hear out of a standard superhero show...it's just weird.
- Pronoun Trouble: Harara has a female body after merging with his armor, Kasumi, but is still referred to by male pronouns.
- Puppeteer Parasite: What happens to Horie at one point.
- Too Dumb to Live: Harara in the anime, rather then go out and fight Kakugo him(her?)self after he pretty much beats all the demons that are thrown at him. Harara decides posses the body of the last demon that he sent via a machine. Despite the fact that 1) Harara was told that any damage the demon's body takes will be transferred onto him. 2) The demon's body is stiffening due to rigor mortis limiting Harara's movements. And 3) It was established that Harara was a better fighter then Kakugo and could more then enough take him in a full match. But no, Harara decides this is the best option. End result, Kakugo beats the demon's body silly and finishes by punching it's head out. Yeah.
- Unfortunate Names: "Horie" sounds rather unfortunate in English.
- Vagina Dentata: Just make a game out of it.